1/0
    Mentioned
    9 times
    Time Online
    27d 7h 35m
    Avg. Time Online
    17m
    Quote Originally Posted by Transaction View Post
    In slightly better news, there were significantly less acts of violence carried out by police last night than in previous nights of protesting?
    Big sigh. There is a video circulating out of Buffalo that I won't share that is so sickening.

I was of the general reform camp but the arguments for defunding are getting louder for me now.

(And I know we are in the middle of a serious conversation but saw this on my TL and it made me laugh. Peace, all).

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to gjniev For This Useful Post:

aaronsd (06-10-2020),Cookie Tray (06-04-2020),motherfucker (06-05-2020),My name is Yoshikage Kira (06-04-2020),♥ PrettySarcastic ♥ (06-04-2020)

Pronouns
    they/them
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    6/0
    Mentioned
    48 times
    Time Online
    11d 6h 53m
    Avg. Time Online
    8m
    Quote Originally Posted by I_royalty_I View Post
    @(you need an account to see links) - thanks for your post. I appreciate being able to see things from other points of view. I will say I am a bit confused how abolition of police and defunding police/military is the most favorable outcome though. What takes the place if those two things were to go away? I have heard that argument before and posed the question similar to - what happens when you need help? What happens when a crime is committed and there is nobody there to look into it or hold those accountable because they are defunded? That’s the part I don’t understand.

Yes the actions taken by some police officers is absolutely ridiculous and needs to be rectified, but that’s not the majority. Just like the majority of protestors aren’t out to incite violence or loot/burn businesses; the majority of cops aren’t out to kill and cause other injustice to black people - or anybody else for that matter.

Perhaps an overhaul and stricter, swifter punishments for those who overstep the first time, would be better. There needs to be some form of authority as this is not utopia. I think the issue runs deeper than cops vs citizens as well, and this change won’t happen overnight.

i used to be more closed minded and bias, but then I experience more in the world. Talked to new people, hung out in different groups. If you expose yourself to more than what you’re used to, what you’ve always known, then you’ll see that people are mostly the same. Everybody wants the same things, similar goals, aspirations. I think it’s the bad apples that ruin things for the rest of the population. Perhaps if we crack down harder on them, it would allow the better people to shine through.
    Thank you for your genuine questions! Before we consider what will take place if both are abolished, we have to look at what happens currently in those situations.

When a family member's house was robbed and ransacked, police showed up eventually, took a police report, and did nothing. The only purpose of the police report was to have it recorded so it could be reported to insurance. They did not ever find the person who broke in, they did not ever find any of the stolen objects. One item in particular was found posted on Craigslist just an hour later, identified by unique markings in the picture and S/N. The police were told. They told us to let them do their jobs. The item eventually was sold on CL with no intervention from the police. This is anecdotal, but most of the time police respond to calls after the fact, not mid-crime. When I was robbed at work, it was not for 4 months that they found the person, and only because I had told them exactly where to find a fingerprint and he was a suspect in an older crime.

When rapes are reported, more than 9 times out of 10, nothing is done. People have been laughed at, victim-blamed, brushed aside and ignored even when there was plenty of evidence. When domestic violence calls come in, police show up, take a look around and leave, usually without doing anything even when there are visible signs of violence or distress. Even if they arrest the abuser, they are generally let out pretty quickly after.

The majority of the time, (you need an account to see links). (you need an account to see links) They pull you over at traffic stops to write you tickets so they can generate income for the city.

Sorry to paraphrase so ineloquently, my brain's a bit out of sorts atm due to new meds but overall: the police are bad at doing what they're supposed to be doing, and are very rarely helpful. People are shot when doing mental wellness checks. Victims of domestic abuse and intimate partner violence are regularly turned away.

So we look to: what are people doing NOW in those situations, when the police have been proven pretty useless?

I started writing out a lot more and tried to open a bunch of resources but realized it's much smarter to let the people who have been doing this for years and working on prison & police abolition for years provide the trains of thought and resources.

(you need an account to see links) is a GREAT place to start.

@(you need an account to see links) Yeah I spoke way too soon because I guess I hadn't caught up with my timeline before seeing that. :\ It also happened a few days ago but not an hour after posting that I heard about what happened in Austin, TX as well, to that poor child Levi Ayala and jesus christ... to hear his brother (you need an account to see links) (sorry for fox news link it was the only video I could find of it) was absolutely heartbreaking. HEARTBREAKING. I've cried a lot over the past few days but this broke me all over again.

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Cookie Tray For This Useful Post:

Babaa (06-05-2020),gjniev (06-05-2020),My name is Yoshikage Kira (06-04-2020),tox87 (06-06-2020)

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    47/0
    Mentioned
    392 times
    Time Online
    163d 17h 35m
    Avg. Time Online
    1h 13m
    Here's a scary thought.

"The sheer number of incidents of police brutality captured on film in the past week ought to have everyone thinking about what they do when they know the cameras are not running."

From Walter Shaub's twitter. Walter Shaub was the Director of the Office of Government Ethics under the previous administration.

=|

graphics by Flordibel & Menine <3

6. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to PrettySarcastic For This Useful Post:

aaronsd (06-10-2020),Alcremie (06-05-2020),Babaa (06-05-2020),Cookie Tray (06-05-2020),gjniev (06-05-2020),Misha (06-05-2020),motherfucker (06-05-2020),My name is Yoshikage Kira (06-05-2020)

Pronouns
    they/them
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    6/0
    Mentioned
    48 times
    Time Online
    11d 6h 53m
    Avg. Time Online
    8m
    I think the scariest part is, they know the cameras are always running and they're still committing these acts. They know they can get away with it, because they ARE getting away with it. There are no consequences. Nothing has happened to any of the cops who were recorded plowing their cars into protest crowds, or shot any protesters, or knocked people to the ground and caused injury and miscarriage, or any kind of brutality. They think simply charging Chauvin and his gang with 2nd degree murder "WITHOUT INTENT" is enough.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cookie Tray For This Useful Post:

Autobot (06-05-2020),My name is Yoshikage Kira (06-05-2020)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    1/0
    Mentioned
    9 times
    Time Online
    27d 7h 35m
    Avg. Time Online
    17m
    Lots of reflecting to do today but please keep Breonna Taylor in your thoughts - a victim of police violence and gun violence - and if so moved, reach out to legislators in Kentucky.
    (Information: (you need an account to see links) and the (you need an account to see links))

----

In local news, NY governor is calling for a "Say Their Name" reform agenda outlining:

1. Make police disciplinary records transparent
    2. Ban chokeholds
    3. Make false race-based 911 reports a hate crime
    4. Attorney General must act as independent prosecutor for any police murder case

(you need an account to see links)

A start of a conversation, but definitely not enough.

10. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to gjniev For This Useful Post:

aaronsd (06-10-2020),Autobot (06-05-2020),Cookie Tray (06-06-2020),Erik. (06-06-2020),Goddammit (06-07-2020),motherfucker (06-05-2020),tox87 (06-06-2020)

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    25/0
    Mentioned
    155 times
    Time Online
    51d 6h 2m
    Avg. Time Online
    30m
    I haven't read through this whole board, but I'm going to. I just kind of need a place to talk that isn't Facebook right now. I'm going to spoiler this because its long. Don't feel like you have to respond or anything, I just need to get it out.

Other people on this thread have made more eloquent points than I can, but I'm sad. I'm angry. I'm frustrated with our entire broken ass system. And if you're in the US and you don't feel those things, I think maybe you aren't paying attention. I send my love and hugs to everyone who is feeling some kind of way about what is happening in their country. I'm not wholly aware of what is going on in the rest of the world, because every single day there is 50 new things flung at me about my own country, but I know protests are happening world wide right now. And I know the US isn't the only broken ass country. But I love you guys and these times are hard right now so please make sure you are practicing self care. If you can't go out and protest, donate to bail bonds (many cities/states have links for that right now) and if you can't do that, share the links on social media so maybe others can. If you are US based, please vote this November. I'm really pissed that my candidate got fucked, but I don't think the US will survive another four years of this administration that just keeps gutting everything. I feel like I've lived an entire (thick) history book in the last four years and I'm tired.

NO JUSTICE NO PEACE

thank you to those who read this entire rant.

12. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Goddammit For This Useful Post:

Alcremie (06-10-2020),Autobot (06-07-2020),Babaa (07-14-2020),Cherubi (06-07-2020),Houndoom (06-10-2020),My name is Yoshikage Kira (06-07-2020),♥ PrettySarcastic ♥ (06-10-2020)

Pronouns
    minty/fresh
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    54/0
    Mentioned
    1,231 times
    Time Online
    340d 22h 31m
    Avg. Time Online
    1h 59m
    It looks like (you need an account to see links) is disbanding! (apologies if this was already posted)

(you need an account to see links) is an interesting (unofficial) infographic offering a glimpse of what 'community led public safety' could look...curious to see how things will play out, what hurdles will come up from restructuring the 'police service'
    Last edited by Maki; 06-07-2020 at 05:55 PM.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Maki For This Useful Post:

Autobot (06-07-2020),Goddammit (06-07-2020),My name is Yoshikage Kira (06-07-2020)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    52/0
    Mentioned
    518 times
    Time Online
    48d 16h 28m
    Avg. Time Online
    25m

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Nattiee For This Useful Post:

gjniev (06-13-2020)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    12/0
    Mentioned
    3 times
    Time Online
    1d 6h 58m
    Avg. Time Online
    1m
    US is a special kind of country. So rich, and yet, so far behind others on social issues. A bit like russia, just on a higher economical level

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    17/0
    Mentioned
    18 times
    Time Online
    7d 14h 56m
    Avg. Time Online
    3m
    Quote Originally Posted by Osomatsu View Post
    acab blm fuck blue lives etc. i dont live in the us and im terrified. im furious that its taking white celebrities giving heartfelt "i dont get it but i support you " speeches for people around me to understand the situation. im disgusted that somehow, when people say "black lives matter", others have the audacity to reply "but-" and think thats okay. black people arent expendable, they arent punching bags or npcs and cops arent playing a game of grand theft auto where they can switch off the playstation and never face the consequences. these are real people who are sick of 400 years of this, and the fact that people are angry no matter how they ask for rights is fucking mind boggling. they ask peacefully, they get riot police on them and nobody listens. they riot, they get the military on them and theyre told to calm down and be peaceful. literally what the fuck is it going to take for some people to listen?

all 50 states are protesting. all 50 states. it isnt just a few, or the most liberal, its all fifty states. that doesnt just happen because people are overreacting.

we shouldnt have to do this shit every year. we shouldnt have to fight the military just to stop having the pigs kill black people. the fact that donald trump is exacerbating the situation too, by bringing in the military at all... why? where were they when all your white citizens were out telling you to let them go to work during a pandemic? where? where the fuck were they?

also, FUCK people who are using the protests as an excuse to loot. that isnt what this is about. and FUCK the cops for now raiding gay bars during literally pride month. i literally do not care who i offend when i say fuck blue lives/acab. once the pigs stop giving me reasons to see them as the enemy, ill maybe consider being nice to them, but i do not respect them nor care if they get their feelings hurt. you can quit a job (being a cop), you cant quit being black.

It makes me feel absolutely disgusted as an Australian that there's so many people around me that shun the BLM movement and instead make it about "all lives matter". Like, no, fuck off, don't water down the situation by saying something like that, that is far from the truth. Cannot ignore the fact that people with dark skin get treated very different to people without. Here in Australia we have something like 3% of the population are Aboriginal Australians but something close to 25% of the prison population are them also. They are systematically racially discriminated upon, really bright kids just don't get the same opportunities other people do as they grow up, so they get locked into the same poverty cycles that their parents and grandparents were stuck in. It is incredibly difficult for an Aboriginal person in Australia to break into the middle or high income earner category, that only happens if someone gets adopted into a family with that wealth already or if they become a sports star somehow.

Our welfare system also does not support the Aboriginal Australians as much as people of other backgrounds. I really don't know how all of this began. This country was stolen from them, and they are literally being cornered into poverty stricken areas that has no opportunities for bright young kids.

There absolutely is police brutalitiy over here especially when the victim is not white. There are plenty of stories if you dig deep enough about how the Aboriginals in these communities get treated during drug raids, completely innocent bystanders.

Because of all of the protesting in America, finally, it's having some effect over here and we are hopefully convincing our ministers to consider changes that can help the whole country move forward as a group.

19. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to aaronsd For This Useful Post:

Autobot (06-10-2020),Babaa (07-14-2020),gjniev (06-10-2020),Goddammit (06-11-2020),Mindfang (06-11-2020),♥ PrettySarcastic ♥ (06-10-2020)