DL/UL
    88/0
    Mentioned
    60 times
    Time Online
    73d 7h 24m
    Avg. Time Online
    50m
    I've not read any back of the past answer because I'm still watching it and maybe I'd get spoiled from someone answer

Spoiler Alert for anyone who has started or is still watching the documentary

Pronouns
    they/them
    Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    14 times
    Time Online
    56d 4h 35m
    Avg. Time Online
    40m
    Joe is absolutely 100% batshit crazy and I'm ashamed that's why I liked the show. He's a trainwreck of a human being and the amount of drama that stems from him, his friends, workers, enemies and the drama that branches from there.... If there's anybody here that hasn't seen it trust me, you're in for a wild ride. They're all nuts on the same sundae.

I also love me a good missing persons/murder mystery and the one thing I can't get off my mind is what happened to Carole's husband. I believe she did it, directly or indirectly.

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    172/0
    Mentioned
    657 times
    Time Online
    182d 5h 28m
    Avg. Time Online
    1h 16m
    The key word underpinning its popularity is schadenfreude. Watching these ridiculously trashy, over-the-top people make us feel better about our own lives. Lost your job due to corona? At least you didn't kill your husband (unlike Carol Baskin). At least your arm didn't get ripped off and you just went back to work the same week. At least you weren't a straight teen boy lured in by meth. At least you aren't in a harem just to pet some kitties.

Joe completely deserves to be in gaol. A majority of the key players in the show do, but he was edited in a way that made him more entertaining, thus more likeable. He gave so little fucks what people thought, and that earns him major props. He's the sort of person who lives in the quicksave-quickload universe - saying and doing outrageous things because he can always undo the consequences later - but forgets about the quickload function. He just does it. He shit-stirs his enemy the way we want to ours, but know that polite society tells us we can't.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mama Bear For This Useful Post:

kale (05-28-2020),Oshun (05-23-2020),wildnova (05-22-2020)

Pronouns
    Any
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    53/0
    Mentioned
    122 times
    Time Online
    116d 10h 26m
    Avg. Time Online
    43m
    Did someone say Tiger King :eyes:

Joe is bat shit crazy, I admire his not giving a fuck attitude but he's still a piece of shit for harming those animals.
    That bitch Carol Baskin killed her husband. Just saw a interesting article yesterday that the signature on her husband's will was forged. Would like to see how this case develops, but I doubt it's gonna go too much further without a body or crime scene.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    11/0
    Mentioned
    56 times
    Time Online
    6d 11h 25m
    Avg. Time Online
    2m
    I fucking loved tiger king. I really do enjoy the docu-style netflix does.
    I watched don't fuck with cats- and the way netflix directors throw you for loops is just amazing honestly, altho tbh that documentary missed a lot of important details, actually didn't include some of the more fucked up stuff, had heavy biases, and had some other issues so I imagine the same thing goes for "tiger king". I'm just not invested enough to do research to see how skewed the tiger king series was.

My take:
    Joe is a shit person, but it's hard to hate him because he's so fucking quirky and loveable at the same time.
    Saff is daddy tbh
    Antle is running a god damn cult and that's gotta be looked into, man, he be doing some freaky ass shit
    Howard is a simp
    Carole is a karen, fuck her idc how biased this show was against her, every person I know that is like her are the worst people that are the best at getting what they want
    Rick is freddy krueger and you can't convince me otherwise

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kale For This Useful Post:

My name is Yoshikage Kira (05-23-2020),Oshun (05-23-2020)

Pronouns
    he/him
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    14/0
    Mentioned
    230 times
    Time Online
    93d 20h 25m
    Avg. Time Online
    1h 4m
    Probably an unpopular opinion and sorry for ranting, but they were all assholes, and I don't know why anyone could enjoy a show where you see animals living in horrible conditions all the time, or why anyone would idolize Joe when he's a fucking animal abuser and a lowlife criminal with a God complex. There was a scene with 20/30 tigers in such a small cage that when they were fed they looked like a giant striped wave. How fucked up is that.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Erik. For This Useful Post:

Lolaloveloki (05-23-2020)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    11/0
    Mentioned
    56 times
    Time Online
    6d 11h 25m
    Avg. Time Online
    2m
    Quote Originally Posted by Erik. View Post
    Probably an unpopular opinion and sorry for ranting, but they were all assholes, and I don't know why anyone could enjoy a show where you see animals living in horrible conditions all the time, or why anyone would idolize Joe when he's a fucking animal abuser and a lowlife criminal with a God complex. There was a scene with 20/30 tigers in such a small cage that when they were fed they looked like a giant striped wave. How fucked up is that.
    I get where you're coming from, but it's like murder shows. It's okay to enjoy watching them while not being ok with murder. It's ok to watch a show about animal abuse without condoning it.

What makes the terrible characters "likeable" in a sense is that there is a lot of character development, and humans are multi-layered beings. People can do terrible things, but people can also be funny, creative, interesting, etc at the same time. In the end, Joe is a terrible person, and I wouldn't want to associate him. Did I enjoy some parts of him? Absolutely. He is shit, and there is no denying that, but goddamn he is one entertaining motherfucker.

If it makes you feel better, his empire is over. The others are "exposed" and will probably fall too, because of this documentary and the popularity of it. I can imagine the lax laws of owning big cats in that area are going to end within the next 5-10 years (takes a long time to change laws).

Before the documentary, there were many people who didn't know that there were states that you could easily own big cats in. People also didn't realize that they were treated so terribly. When docs like this blow up, and people realize that these things are happening- things start to change.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kale For This Useful Post:

blairpie (05-27-2020),Erik. (05-27-2020)

Pronouns
    he/him
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    14/0
    Mentioned
    230 times
    Time Online
    93d 20h 25m
    Avg. Time Online
    1h 4m
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruzzeh View Post
    I get where you're coming from, but it's like murder shows. It's okay to enjoy watching them while not being ok with murder. It's ok to watch a show about animal abuse without condoning it.

What makes the terrible characters "likeable" in a sense is that there is a lot of character development, and humans are multi-layered beings. People can do terrible things, but people can also be funny, creative, interesting, etc at the same time. In the end, Joe is a terrible person, and I wouldn't want to associate him. Did I enjoy some parts of him? Absolutely. He is shit, and there is no denying that, but goddamn he is one entertaining motherfucker.

If it makes you feel better, his empire is over. The others are "exposed" and will probably fall too, because of this documentary and the popularity of it. I can imagine the lax laws of owning big cats in that area are going to end within the next 5-10 years (takes a long time to change laws).

Before the documentary, there were many people who didn't know that there were states that you could easily own big cats in. People also didn't realize that they were treated so terribly. When docs like this blow up, and people realize that these things are happening- things start to change.
    I guess you're right, but personally I just don't find anything pleasurable about these kinds of people... maybe the thing that irks me the most is that people seem to idolize Joe.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    4/0
    Mentioned
    3 times
    Time Online
    12h 33m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    Quote Originally Posted by Nachtmahr View Post
    Did someone say Tiger King :eyes:

Joe is bat shit crazy, I admire his not giving a fuck attitude but he's still a piece of shit for harming those animals.
    That bitch Carol Baskin killed her husband. Just saw a interesting article yesterday that the signature on her husband's will was forged. Would like to see how this case develops, but I doubt it's gonna go too much further without a body or crime scene.
    The film makers also had SO MUCH FOOTAGE!

Like years and years worth of footage. I feel like any follow up of the series will be disappointing. Plus the "characters" know what a hit the show has become and I think that will bring an air of pretense. The show was so good because everyone in it is genuinely crazy. And most of them psychopaths for sure.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    1/0
    Mentioned
    9 times
    Time Online
    27d 7h 35m
    Avg. Time Online
    17m
    In related news...

(you need an account to see links)

On Monday, a federal court judge in Oklahoma added another chapter to the tale when he ruled that Ms. Baskin’s organization, Big Cat Rescue Corporation, could take over the 16.4-acre property in Wynnewood, once known as G.W. Exotic. Judge Scott L. Palk ordered that Greater Wynnewood Development Group, which owns the property, surrender the land. “The G.W.D.G. shall vacate the premises of the zoo land within 120 days of the date of service of this order,” Judge Palk of the Western District of Oklahoma federal court ruled. “Vacation of premises shall also require removal of all zoo animals from the zoo land.”