Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Does anyone know where to play abandoned Neopets games?

Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 time
    Time Online
    3d 4h 30m
    Avg. Time Online
    3m
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesedmoga View Post
    I'm not expecting you to reveal your secrets but just... how does anyone get a collection like that? And when did you start fetching them?
    I sincerely though most of those games were just long lost.
    A while ago Neopets had a glitch that made their site open directory. This meant if you went to images.neopets.com/games/ you could see every file in that folder.

I know that's how my archive of sponsor games was passed down to me, I obviously can't speak for Bat.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ganonthegreat For This Useful Post:

Erik. (01-04-2021),Jesedmoga (05-07-2020)

*squeak*
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    34/1
    Mentioned
    1,751 times
    Time Online
    644d 29m
    Avg. Time Online
    3h 42m
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesedmoga View Post
    I'm not expecting you to reveal your secrets but just... how does anyone get a collection like that? And when did you start fetching them?
    I sincerely though most of those games were just long lost.
    I can't get into specifics, but I essentially built a program that crawled every single game's Flash page. If that program encountered a functioning Flash game, it would reach out and grab the corresponding files and dependencies. I've been casually collecting Flash assets from Neopets for years! There's still a lot more out there!

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Bat For This Useful Post:

Erik. (01-04-2021),Fabulous (05-08-2020),Hazem (05-09-2020),Jesedmoga (05-07-2020),Unown (05-08-2020)

Pronouns
    he/him
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    65/2
    Mentioned
    264 times
    Time Online
    44d 2h 44m
    Avg. Time Online
    43m
    Quote Originally Posted by Ganonthegreat View Post
    A while ago Neopets had a glitch that made their site open directory. This meant if you went to images.neopets.com/games/ you could see every file in that folder.

I know that's how my archive of sponsor games was passed down to me, I obviously can't speak for Bat.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bat View Post
    I can't get into specifics, but I essentially built a program that crawled every single game's Flash page. If that program encountered a functioning Flash game, it would reach out and grab the corresponding files and dependencies. I've been casually collecting Flash assets from Neopets for years! There's still a lot more out there!
    I'm kinda speechless to see that there're people like you guys out there trying to preserve a little bit of history. Kinda what those guys at the internet archives are doing. So when people want to look back at their past they can. A big thank you for that.

Now for the important question: Is habitarium part of that list by any chance? xD

Edit: This was the closest thing I could find to a "working" habi right now. And if it's of any help to you...

(you need an account to see links)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Unown For This Useful Post:

Maelstra (05-09-2020)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    10/0
    Mentioned
    461 times
    Time Online
    69d 14h 13m
    Avg. Time Online
    24m
    Quote Originally Posted by Unown View Post
    I'm kinda speechless to see that there're people like you guys out there trying to preserve a little bit of history. Kinda what those guys at the internet archives are doing. So when people want to look back at their past they can. A big thank you for that.

Now for the important question: Is habitarium part of that list by any chance? xD

Edit: This was the closest thing I could find to a "working" habi right now. And if it's of any help to you...

Honestly that habitarium music hit me MUCH harder than I thought it would. I fucking miss it.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Maths For This Useful Post:

Maelstra (05-09-2020)

Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 time
    Time Online
    3d 4h 30m
    Avg. Time Online
    3m
    Quote Originally Posted by Unown View Post

I have a good number of Habitarium files but I didn't have this one, it could be the key I need but I can't make any promises.

The reason it's infinitely loading is that it needs a "config.xml" file that unfortunately I don't have, and isn't live on the site. So I basically need to try to either bypass it or recreate the XML.

Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 time
    Time Online
    3d 4h 30m
    Avg. Time Online
    3m
    Quote Originally Posted by aevora View Post
    So... I'm kind of a noob in this. How do I make those files work? There's a few older games I'd like to revisit if possible. Is there a guide somewhere in the forum maybe, or...? Because honestly I don't even know how to search for that.
    Neopets tends to need a lot of additional files to run, and it checks them on the internet so getting the games to run in a standard Flash Player is near impossible. Your best bet is to download Flashpoint. I've been adding a ton of Neopets content to it and it simulates the internet so it's just click to play. There is currently a bug with some if the newer games, but the older ones work fine. If not let me know, there is a known fix. We also have some of the Shockwave games like Castle Battles, both Hannah games and The Last Smiley.

On another note, yesterday I found a working build of the Petpet Park game Sir Liam's Castle Defender, so that'll be in the next update.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Ganonthegreat For This Useful Post:

aevora (05-09-2020)

Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 time
    Time Online
    3d 4h 30m
    Avg. Time Online
    3m
    Quote Originally Posted by aevora View Post
    Oh cool, I'm going to download Flashpoint then, thank you!

As for the shockwave games, I can still play them using IE. Same for 3DVIA. Either way it's nice to put them in the list too as they're usually hard to access.

Also may I make a question? You seem like you understand of these things. Are the shockwave games possible to convert to HTML5? I've been wondering that, if TNT can convert them or if they're just going to delete them once the website revamp is done.
    I'm not really sure on that, but I'm doubtful they'll get a conversion unless they completely rebuild the games. Plus a lot of them are just too old looking to justify.

I have an archive of all the Shockwave games and about half of them are in Flashpoint right now to play, but unfortunately, four of them aren't included because they have graphical errors. Once we figure out the cause we'll finish off the set. The missing games right now are Attack of the Slorgs, Dice Escape, Frumball and The Return of the Return of Dr. Sloth.

Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 time
    Time Online
    3d 4h 30m
    Avg. Time Online
    3m
    A small-ish update, the jigsaw from Festival of Neggs 2010 has been added to the archive.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Ganonthegreat For This Useful Post:

Fabulous (05-10-2020)

Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 time
    Time Online
    3d 4h 30m
    Avg. Time Online
    3m
    Sorry about the double post, but I checked the rules and it didn't seem to be banned.

Does anybody have access to a computer that was used to play any if the games listed (or any unavailable plot games)? Flashpoint have tools that will allow you to look into the browser cache of these machines, and we often find rare files inside.

If you do, please either let me know or go to the Flashpoint Discord server and look for the web cache channel (and mention Neopets so I know you came from here), I can guide you through the whole process. This also extends past Neopets, any web games would be appreciated.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    1/0
    Mentioned
    1 time
    Time Online
    3h 13m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    Quote Originally Posted by Bat View Post
    I have a collection of over 900 active, beta and discontinued Neopets Flash games that I've been holding on to for clraik's upcoming stream. I'd be happy to pass those along once we've had a chance to show them to our community!
    Good evening Bat,

That sounds like an incredibly impressive collection of flash games and Neopets history. Many relics of the past that can�t be seen by the public at large in all likelihood, like so much else that fades into obscurity.

I�d imagine that you would have a lot of sponsor games that are inaccessible at the moment?

Three games in particular that I would be curious about are Kidz Bop 11: Wheel of Words, Spider Man 3: Image Quiz, a game that I forgot the title of involving Lucky Charms, a brown backdrop, and a train on a track.

If you still have your files, then I strongly encourage you to upload those to the server of Flashpoint. Flashpoint is a project that is attempting to preserve online flash browser games that will be otherwise unplayable after the end of this year.

A link to their site can be found here: (you need an account to see links)

And a list of games that they have already archived can be found here (warning: This page is incredibly long): (you need an account to see links)

Out of curiosity, I am new to this website, when was clraik�s stream? Has it happened yet?

Thank you for hanging on to so much of the history of one of the great flash game websites of all time!