65/2
    Mentioned
    264 times
    Time Online
    44d 2h 45m
    Avg. Time Online
    42m

[GUIDE] Winning in Godori

It's one of the games in Neopets which gives the avatar after winning 250 hands. It's tedious for many, and since it's hard to understand, many tend to give up. I've played this game for many years and would say I'm quite a master at it since I've won lots of money from my friends back in university lol. Here to explain a little bit about this game and share part of what I hold dear in the hopes that you all can get your avatars and have some fun!

A little background:

The game Godori, actually originates from Korea, and is derived from the Korean word "고도리" which is the final winning move in the game. It goes by a few other names such as Hwatu (화투) and many of the younger generation refer it to Go-Stop (고스탑). This is also derived because if you win the game, you can choose to stop it (then you collect your winnings), or go (continue to win even more, but of course, someone else could win even more). The game can also be called Matgo (맞고), when only two players are playing, which is more apt for this situation since it's just you and your pet playing.

Let's get down to the rules:

Once you understand the game, the rules and the process, it's actually a pretty simple AND fun game.

Sets:
    In the Korean version of the cards, there are a total of 12 sets x 4 cards - each signifies a month of the year, and each set signifies the plant/flower of that month.

However in Neopets, you have a total of 12 sets x 4 cards as well - each signifying certain themes in the game

Elements:
    In each set there is usually a mix of element cards, and having clusters of these elements are the ones that give you the POINTS to win.

Gameplay:

Both you and your opponent (your pet) start off with 10 cards in your hand, and there are 7 cards face-up in the play area. During your turn, you throw down a card and then draw another card to be placed in the play area. During your opponents turn the same thing happens, they throw down a card and draw another card to be played in the play area.

The confusing thing is knowing what to throw, what opens and what counts as points right?

Your play in the game is based on the SETS. For example, if you see a space-themed card in the play area, and you have a space-themed card in your hand, you can throw that one down. Thereafter, another card will be opened from the deck into the play area.

* If it is in even numbers (2 or 4), you win the cards into your pile.
    * if it is in odd numbers (1 or 3), the cards are left in the play area.
    This is important to know because if you play a space card on top of a space card (2) and the card drawn from the deck is another space card (3) then you do not win the cards into your pile.

Since it is a game between you and your pet, you can always count the cards you have and the cards you don't. You also have the ability to see what cards your opponent has already won in their pile so that you can better calculate what kind of cards to throw and what to keep in order to save points.

How do you know what gives points?

You get your points based on the ELEMENTS.

(you need an account to see links)

The Neopets cards give the most points if you manage to get all 5 for a total of 15 points, and you get 4 points for 4 cards, then 3 points for 3 cards that does not include the Haunted Woods one, and if it does, you'll receive 2 points, and anything below that has no points.

The Petpets cards gives the next best amount of points - ONLY IF THEY'RE FLYING PETPETS because a set of all 3 flying petpets gives you 5 points. Remember that the black bird from Haunted Woods is NOT part of the flying petpets. As a set of petpets cards, it's 1 point for a set of 5, and 1 point for every card after. So for example if you have 7 petpet cards, it's 1 + 2 = 3 points. If that includes the 3 flying petpets, then you'll get 8 points!

The flags can be easily distinguished by their FLAG STYLE. You see the wavy, flat triangle and the banner style. As a set of flags cards, they score the same way as petpets, going 1 point for a set of 5, and 1 point for every card after. However, if you get them in their set of flag styles, you get extra 3 points. So for example if you have the banner style set as well as 3 other flags, you get a total of 3 + 1 + 1 = 5 points!

The final batch of cards are the Neopian World cards - cards with no special design on them, except that they look like regular world cards. No animals, no flags, no stars, no pets on them. These are the most basic cards and they require a set of 10 to get 1 point, and will accumulate 1 extra point for every card thereafter. So if you have 13 of these cards what do you have? That's right 1 + 3 = 4 points.

Strategy:

My strategy? Aim for the Neopets cards first - not only will you be able to get 15 points if you manage to get all 5, but you'll be blocking your opponent from getting them too. Each set has a total of 4 cards. Knowing this, do not be in such a rush to put down your Neopets cards if you have them in hand - because you can always wait for the cards of the same deck to come out from the pile. You never know you could place them down and end up having them stuck if it becomes an odd number pile.

All 5 of the Neopets cards gives you 15 points

Second type of cards to aim for is the flying petpets. If you manage to get all Neopets cards and Flying Petpets that's already 20 points which more or less wins you the game.

All 3 of the birds cards gives you 5 points, and total 6 cards so +1 point

My last strategy is to always check your opponents score pile. If you see he's about to get points from a same set of flags or the flying petpets, do NOT play those cards. Always remember that it's not just about throwing it down randomly but you have to plan. Nothing is worse than losing to your opponent from Neopian World and Flag cards even if you got all the Neopets and Flying petpets cards.

I understand that it may seem like a tedious game, but once you get the entire thing, it's a really really fun game.

It's one of my favorite games and even after getting the avatar I still continue playing it from time to time.

I hope this guide has helped!!
    Last edited by Unown; 05-12-2020 at 07:09 PM. Reason: Fixed a few spelling errors

2. The Following 22 Users Say Thank You to Unown For This Useful Post:

aevora (05-08-2020),Cherubi (05-08-2020),Delibird (05-06-2020),Fabulous (05-07-2020),genesis (05-10-2021),gjniev (05-07-2020),GRAYN (05-07-2020),hiddenblink (05-07-2020),Houndoom (05-06-2020),ir0nm1k3 (08-13-2020),jojobloggs (09-22-2020),Kaiman (01-02-2023),Ked (05-07-2020),Menine (09-22-2020),My name is Yoshikage Kira (05-06-2020),Nawa (01-04-2021),Neal Caffrey (06-29-2021),Oneiros (08-29-2020),Oshun (05-06-2020),Pidgey (05-06-2020),thelostrodent (05-10-2020),ZeroTwo (05-06-2020)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    15/0
    Mentioned
    14 times
    Time Online
    3d 1h 46m
    Avg. Time Online
    1m
    I used to be shit at Godori. Now I'm slightly less shit at it. Baby steps!

Thanks for the guide!

Pronouns
    he/him
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    65/2
    Mentioned
    264 times
    Time Online
    44d 2h 45m
    Avg. Time Online
    42m
    Quote Originally Posted by hiddenblink View Post
    I used to be shit at Godori. Now I'm slightly less shit at it. Baby steps!

Thanks for the guide!
    I'm glad it helped, even if it's a little bit!!!

It's one of my favorite card games

Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 time
    Time Online
    1d 1h 15m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    Gonna try that soon. How long does it take for you to get to 250 wins?

Pronouns
    he/him
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    14/0
    Mentioned
    6 times
    Time Online
    2d 21h 40m
    Avg. Time Online
    2m
    Thanks for the guide! Hoping to get the avi now

Pronouns
    he/him
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    63/0
    Mentioned
    335 times
    Time Online
    163d 3h 44m
    Avg. Time Online
    1h 47m
    Never knew about this game until I saw your guide.

I'm about a 5th of the way to the avatar in 2 days using this guide.

Thanks a ton .

Geo
    Hatched 11/14/2020

Huge thanks to (you need an account to see links)
    For the Customized Adoptable of Geo.

My gorgeous avatar was created by thee incredible
    ♡ Lyrichord ♡

Pronouns
    he/him
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    65/2
    Mentioned
    264 times
    Time Online
    44d 2h 45m
    Avg. Time Online
    42m
    Quote Originally Posted by Robindoo View Post
    Gonna try that soon. How long does it take for you to get to 250 wins?
    Took me around 2-3 days! I won around 100 hands per day. The best part of godori is that the drawing of cards, collecting and counting of points are all automatic.

The real life game, you have to move and count everything yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by GRAYN View Post
    Thanks for the guide! Hoping to get the avi now
    Good luck!!!

You're very welcome! Just wanted to share something I liked with everyone here.

Quote Originally Posted by Columbidae View Post
    Never knew about this game until I saw your guide.

I'm about a 5th of the way to the avatar in 2 days using this guide.

Thanks a ton .
    Good job!!! Gogogoo ^.^

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    49/0
    Mentioned
    5 times
    Time Online
    4d 13m
    Avg. Time Online
    4m
    honestly was going to give up on this avatar but after reading your guide and actually following it, i finally won my first hand.... still a bit clueless how to play but hey its a start!,

Heres to another 249 hands to go!!!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Wallie For This Useful Post:

Unown (08-16-2020)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    49/0
    Mentioned
    5 times
    Time Online
    4d 13m
    Avg. Time Online
    4m
    Quote Originally Posted by wall388 View Post
    honestly was going to give up on this avatar but after reading your guide and actually following it, i finally won my first hand.... still a bit clueless how to play but hey its a start!,

Heres to another 249 hands to go!!!
    After a few hours of play I'm 30 hands in, You can definitely smash it out in 2-3 days to get the avie.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    9/0
    Mentioned
    5 times
    Time Online
    3d 8h 43m
    Avg. Time Online
    2m
    Quote Originally Posted by Unown View Post
    It's one of the games in Neopets which gives the avatar after winning 250 hands. It's tedious for many, and since it's hard to understand, many tend to give up. I've played this game for many years and would say I'm quite a master at it since I've won lots of money from my friends back in university lol. Here to explain a little bit about this game and share part of what I hold dear in the hopes that you all can get your avatars and have some fun!

A little background:

The game Godori, actually originates from Korea, and is derived from the Korean word "고도리" which is the final winning move in the game. It goes by a few other names such as Hwatu (화투) and many of the younger generation refer it to Go-Stop (고스탑). This is also derived because if you win the game, you can choose to stop it (then you collect your winnings), or go (continue to win even more, but of course, someone else could win even more). The game can also be called Matgo (맞고), when only two players are playing, which is more apt for this situation since it's just you and your pet playing.

Let's get down to the rules:

Once you understand the game, the rules and the process, it's actually a pretty simple AND fun game.

Sets:
    In the Korean version of the cards, there are a total of 12 sets x 4 cards - each signifies a month of the year, and each set signifies the plant/flower of that month.

However in Neopets, you have a total of 12 sets x 4 cards as well - each signifying certain themes in the game

Elements:
    In each set there is usually a mix of element cards, and having clusters of these elements are the ones that give you the POINTS to win.

Gameplay:

Both you and your opponent (your pet) start off with 10 cards in your hand, and there are 7 cards face-up in the play area. During your turn, you throw down a card and then draw another card to be placed in the play area. During your opponents turn the same thing happens, they throw down a card and draw another card to be played in the play area.

The confusing thing is knowing what to throw, what opens and what counts as points right?

Your play in the game is based on the SETS. For example, if you see a space-themed card in the play area, and you have a space-themed card in your hand, you can throw that one down. Thereafter, another card will be opened from the deck into the play area.

* If it is in even numbers (2 or 4), you win the cards into your pile.
    * if it is in odd numbers (1 or 3), the cards are left in the play area.
    This is important to know because if you play a space card on top of a space card (2) and the card drawn from the deck is another space card (3) then you do not win the cards into your pile.

Since it is a game between you and your pet, you can always count the cards you have and the cards you don't. You also have the ability to see what cards your opponent has already won in their pile so that you can better calculate what kind of cards to throw and what to keep in order to save points.

How do you know what gives points?

You get your points based on the ELEMENTS.

The Neopets cards give the most points if you manage to get all 5 for a total of 15 points, and you get 4 points for 4 cards, then 3 points for 3 cards that does not include the Haunted Woods one, and if it does, you'll receive 2 points, and anything below that has no points.

The Petpets cards gives the next best amount of points - ONLY IF THEY'RE FLYING PETPETS because a set of all 3 flying petpets gives you 5 points. Remember that the black bird from Haunted Woods is NOT part of the flying petpets. As a set of petpets cards, it's 1 point for a set of 5, and 1 point for every card after. So for example if you have 7 petpet cards, it's 1 + 2 = 3 points. If that includes the 3 flying petpets, then you'll get 8 points!

The flags can be easily distinguished by their FLAG STYLE. You see the wavy, flat triangle and the banner style. As a set of flags cards, they score the same way as petpets, going 1 point for a set of 5, and 1 point for every card after. However, if you get them in their set of flag styles, you get extra 3 points. So for example if you have the banner style set as well as 3 other flags, you get a total of 3 + 1 + 1 = 5 points!

The final batch of cards are the Neopian World cards - cards with no special design on them, except that they look like regular world cards. No animals, no flags, no stars, no pets on them. These are the most basic cards and they require a set of 10 to get 1 point, and will accumulate 1 extra point for every card thereafter. So if you have 13 of these cards what do you have? That's right 1 + 3 = 4 points.

Strategy:

My strategy? Aim for the Neopets cards first - not only will you be able to get 15 points if you manage to get all 5, but you'll be blocking your opponent from getting them too. Each set has a total of 4 cards. Knowing this, do not be in such a rush to put down your Neopets cards if you have them in hand - because you can always wait for the cards of the same deck to come out from the pile. You never know you could place them down and end up having them stuck if it becomes an odd number pile.

All 5 of the Neopets cards gives you 15 points

Second type of cards to aim for is the flying petpets. If you manage to get all Neopets cards and Flying Petpets that's already 20 points which more or less wins you the game.

All 3 of the birds cards gives you 5 points, and total 6 cards so +1 point

My last strategy is to always check your opponents score pile. If you see he's about to get points from a same set of flags or the flying petpets, do NOT play those cards. Always remember that it's not just about throwing it down randomly but you have to plan. Nothing is worse than losing to your opponent from Neopian World and Flag cards even if you got all the Neopets and Flying petpets cards.

I understand that it may seem like a tedious game, but once you get the entire thing, it's a really really fun game.

It's one of my favorite games and even after getting the avatar I still continue playing it from time to time.

I hope this guide has helped!!

This is a seemingly "easy" game avatar, versus needing in the moment luck to get an otherwise impossible score (typing terror, for example).... However, I have never been able to understand the game properly and commit wholeheartedly to playing the torturous number of hands for the avatar.... I wanted to thank you for posting this guide, I will be bookmarking it to use either before this month ends or at the start of October!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to jojobloggs For This Useful Post:

Unown (09-22-2020)