9 Post(s)
    Time Online
    5 d 14 h 48 m
    Avg. Time Online
    3 m

[GUIDE] Eating While Depressed

Belle’s Depression Meal Tips (TM)
    Or, How I Stopped Crying And Ate Something

Hey there! Some friends of mine recently asked for tips & tricks on how to get oneself to eat while depressed, and I wanted to share it here on clraik. I've struggled with depression through-out my life, and when I get depressed my appetite and energy to cook are some of the first things to go. I lived alone for the first time in my life last year and went through a bad breakup, so getting myself to eat was a big priority. In the process, I’ve learned what items to keep stocked and some handy life-hacks.

I’m only speaking from my experience here and everybody’s depressive dysfunction is going to be different, but I hope some of it’s useful! Lastly, if you are experiencing depression and are not already hooked up to a support system, please connect with a mental health professional. "Tips and tricks" can only get you so far, it's therapy (and possibly medication) that can provide some real relief. There is nothing to be ashamed of, and you deserve to feel joy and recovery.

---

(GREEK) YOGURT & GRANOLA & CHOCOLATE CHIPS
    - This is my go-to Depression Meal, and also just a good meal/substantial snack in general. It has a lot of protein, the granola adds a good crunch, and the chocolate chips give something to look forward to.

STRING CHEESE
    - We had these at work, so in 2019 I ate a lot of triskets and string cheese. But string cheese is good because it’s a decent source of protein and fat, and pulling off the strings feels cathartic.

COMFORT SOUP
    - I always keep some cans of Progresso’s Hearty Chicken And Rotini stocked up in my pantry. This soup’s a life saver. Pair that with a piece of toast and that’s dinner, baby!

TOP RAMEN, ELEVATED
    - Just eating plain ramen feels somehow more depressing than eating nothing at all. Add a hard boiled egg and two sausages to easily dress it up. (I like Morning Star's veggie patties)

BANANA CHOCOLATE CHIP MUFFINS
    - Kodiak Cakes “Power Cakes” mix has a lot of protein and makes reeeaally good banana muffins. I live off these during con-crunch season. They last a long time too, stored in the fridge.
    - RECIPE

A GOOD BREAKFAST
    - Breakfast is the most important meal of the day! It’s also when I tend to feel the least depressed. So, I take advantage of the energy and make sure to eat something decently substantial.
    - My go-to is scrambled eggs and bagel+jam or english muffin+powdered sugar+cinnamon.
    - I like pairing my cheerios or maple pecan crunch with banana or blueberries, respectively. Makes me feel extra functional. Fruit is good for you!

BLUE APRON
    - I owe a lot to Blue Apron. During the worst parts I couldn’t bring myself to go to the grocery store so my fridge would be totally empty except for the delivered meal ingredients I’d get from BA. Cooking time is usually 25-45 minutes. It also helped me feel more confident in my cooking. You can recycle a lot of the stuff depending on where you live, and BA makes an effort to have at least slightly ethical ingredients.
    - Pro Tip for when quarantine is over: Get yourself a cooking buddy who will come over and help make dinner with you. Cooking is so much easier when it’s with someone else.

ROASTED VEGGIES
    - I learned this through Blue Apron, but uhh roasted vegetables are delicious?? Not sure how I got this far in life without adding this to my toolkit. All you need to do is throw the prepped veggies on a cookie pan with parchment paper, douse them in olive oil, season with: salt, pepper, onion powder, paprika, and parsley (or some variation of spices). Then roast for like 17 minutes at 400 degrees or something. Different veggies require different times so I just consult my old Blue Apron menus tbh.
    - Broccoli, cauliflower, and brussel sprouts are S-tier for roasting.

GROCERY STORE
    - MARINA was right about the grocery store in her song Obsessions. I hate going to the grocery store when I’m depressed. So I’d avoid it, and then I’d run out of food, which would make me feel more anxious about my need to go grocery shopping, which would make me avoid it more, and then I'd be eating Saltines for dinner... Anyways, I found online grocery shopping to be immensely more accessible to me! Honestly, it felt like a wheelchair ramp into the store, but for my brain.
    - I’ve had the best experience with Fred Meyer’s app and delivery experience and would highly recommend them.

JUST EAT
    - If all else fails? Order Dominos. All I remember of March 2019 was eating Dominos pizza once a week and crying a lot. But it was food, it was comforting, it’s what I wanted in the moment, and at that point in time I was not capable of making “healthier” meal choices. I just needed to get through the worst of things. And that’s okay. Get the food that will help you eat.

—-

Alright, that’s all I can think of for now, and it ended up being quite the wall of text anyways. I hope some of those things sound yummy to you and you can add it to your easy-meal tool kit!! <3 <3 <3 And although I know it's cheesy and sometimes annoying to hear in the moment, I think it bears repeating that you are loved, you are strong, and you will get through this.
    Now go make some muffins!

2. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Bellz For This Useful Post:

Ariealle (3 Weeks Ago),Erik. (1 Week Ago),Fabulous (3 Weeks Ago),Flordibel (2 Weeks Ago),Gato (2 Weeks Ago),hiddenblink (2 Weeks Ago),j03 (1 Week Ago),katongpool (6 Days Ago),l0st1d0l (1 Week Ago),lagrima (2 Weeks Ago),Nachtmahr (2 Weeks Ago),Oshun (3 Weeks Ago),RealisticError (6 Days Ago)

Thanks

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Time Online
    3 d 50 m
    Avg. Time Online
    4 m
    These days my go-to is TKG, tamago kake gohan. Basically just crack an egg over some fresh rice, season, mix it up and you're good to go. I like to add some salt, a spoon of soy sauce, a spoon of sesame oil, and a looot of sesame seeds.

Or if you don't want to risk eating raw eggs, I've found that runny sunny side up eggs work just as well. I recently discovered that I can make sunny side up in the microwave, so yay!

Edit: Oh, oh! As for veggies, I also like eating it with melted cheese (or even just cheese spread). Good shit.
    Last edited by hiddenblink; 2 Weeks Ago at 09:40 PM.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to hiddenblink For This Useful Post:

Bellz (2 Weeks Ago)

Brazil
    Thanks

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Time Online
    1 d 9 h 51 m
    Avg. Time Online
    2 h 25 m
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: MexaclarXV
    I've been fighting depression a lot these past days and my quicker dish to make's been pasta.

I get some kinda protein (like beef, sausage, chicken, anything goes), fry it on a pan with some spices, garlic and onion, add sauce and add pasta. I cook pasta directly on the sauce to save pans and time. It's easy and quick to make, tastes great and keeps you full for some time!

Or I just fry some diced sausages, add rice leftovers, an egg and mix everything on the pan. Tastes great too!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to l0st1d0l For This Useful Post:

Bellz (1 Week Ago)

Gensokyo
    Thanks

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Time Online
    1 d 6 h 45 m
    Avg. Time Online
    1 m
    My psychiatrist recommended fresh frozen vegetables. I was surprised how much it actually helped me to eat, I can put some in a microwave safe container for about 2 minutes and it's ready. If I can squeeze out a little more energy, I'll slice up some polska kielbasa sausage to add in as well.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Seagate For This Useful Post:

Bellz (6 Days Ago)