Mentioned
    158 times
    Time Online
    26d 15h 11m
    Avg. Time Online
    16m

Live Action Anime Movies

(you need an account to see links)

Scott Rosenberg and Jeff Pinkner are set to write a live-action film adaptation of the worldwide hit manga series �One Punch Man� for Sony Pictures.

Avi Arad and Ari Arad of Arad Productions are producing the film.

Hugely popular both in Japan and around the world, �One Punch Man� follows the story of Saitama, a superhero who can defeat any opponent with a single punch but seeks to find a worthy opponent after growing bored by a lack of challenges in his fight against evil.

Created in 2009 by Japanese artist ONE as a web comic, �One Punch Man� quickly went viral. In 2012, it was then published on Shueisha�s Young Jump Next with illustrations by Yusuke Murata along with ONE. The series saw worldwide sales of over 30 million copies. When the English edition published by VIZ Media debuted in the U.S. in 2015, the first and second volumes made the New York Times manga bestsellers list and was nominated for an Eisner and a Harvey Award. Since then, the popularity of �One Punch Man� has led to a critically acclaimed anime TV series, as well as a video and mobile game.

Insiders say Sony is very high on the property given its popularity and the possibility of adding another franchise to the pipeline.

Rosenberg and Pinkner have become favorites at Sony after penning the hugely successful �Venom,� which led to an upcoming sequel. They also wrote both �Jumanji� pics for the studio. The most recent installment, �Jumanji: the Next Level,� bowed this past December and grossed $796 million at the worldwide box office.

My opinion on this? I'm not too excited about these live action adaptations as we've seen with all the Disney films that are live action.

Legendary has a My Hero Academia live action film in development as well.

What are your thoughts on these live action adaptations?? For or against?

Should we leave anime/managa to the anime/manga?

If it's anything like the bad live action remakes previously, definitely not worth the wait.

Delibird's Showdown / Guides

Art by @Charmander

The Dynamic Duo:

Artwork by @Dankruse

[GUIDE] (you need an account to see links)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Delibird For This Useful Post:

Emerchy (04-20-2022)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    15/0
    Mentioned
    14 times
    Time Online
    3d 1h 46m
    Avg. Time Online
    1m
    I mean, I hope it'll turn out okay, but if so I'd be pleasantly surprised. Like you've mentioned, live action remakes have a terrible track record: Mob Psycho 100 (also by ONE), Death Note, Fullmetal Alchemist, and countless others. So if it turned out to be shit, I'd be disappointed but not at all surprised. The only live action movie adaptations I've enjoyed are the Chihayafuru movies. I guess the Haikyuu stage plays don't really count, those are different entities entirely.

*hair toss*
    Pronouns
    She/her/hers
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    58/0
    Mentioned
    401 times
    Time Online
    82d 1h 11m
    Avg. Time Online
    47m
    Shounen anime is so dramatic that a lot of it feels cheesy when forced into live action. Actors are meant to portray these larger-than-life characters, which is hard, because film is a VERY CLOSE medium. Stage plays like the Haikyuu Engeki series are a little farther away - and even the more intimately filmed ones use wide shots sometimes to disperse the emotion. With film, wide shots are typically only for battles, scenery, or location-establishment purposes - and shounen is very emotional.

Honestly? They'd probably do better as stage plays or even musicals - iirc, the Hunter x Hunter stage play was a musical - just because they need a vessel other than humans to carry the emotion. Live action adaptations of shounen - at least the ones that I've seen - typically suffer from overacting (which is not always an actor's fault - most of the time, it's the director's)*, especially when they have to imagine emotions at effects they can't see (Bleach and FMA live actions come to mind).

That being said. I'll still probably watch it. I know BNHA has a stage play as well, so I'm interested to see if they share casting with it.

*Sauce: my acting and film production degrees

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Flordibel For This Useful Post:

hiddenblink (05-07-2020)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    127/0
    Mentioned
    54 times
    Time Online
    17d 20h 37m
    Avg. Time Online
    6m
    I've always thought there are some elements in any anime that don't translate well into live action. Some CGI/Live adaptations have actually worked like Alita or Detective Pikachu recently (I know it's more a game than anime xP ), but many others are just... no.

As long as is not just Netflix/Hollywood making their own versions but actually adapting the source material, I say there's potential, and only the final version will tell. That said, I too am worried on how they intend to fit One Piece into a live action series.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    6/0
    Mentioned
    64 times
    Time Online
    36d 19h 21m
    Avg. Time Online
    31m
    Most live action adaptations are cringe buuut...

I still love Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon and Cutie Honey's live actions.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    15/0
    Mentioned
    14 times
    Time Online
    3d 1h 46m
    Avg. Time Online
    1m
    Quote Originally Posted by Flordibel View Post
    Shounen anime is so dramatic that a lot of it feels cheesy when forced into live action. Actors are meant to portray these larger-than-life characters, which is hard, because film is a VERY CLOSE medium. Stage plays like the Haikyuu Engeki series are a little farther away - and even the more intimately filmed ones use wide shots sometimes to disperse the emotion. With film, wide shots are typically only for battles, scenery, or location-establishment purposes - and shounen is very emotional.

Honestly? They'd probably do better as stage plays or even musicals - iirc, the Hunter x Hunter stage play was a musical - just because they need a vessel other than humans to carry the emotion. Live action adaptations of shounen - at least the ones that I've seen - typically suffer from overacting (which is not always an actor's fault - most of the time, it's the director's)*, especially when they have to imagine emotions at effects they can't see (Bleach and FMA live actions come to mind).

That being said. I'll still probably watch it. I know BNHA has a stage play as well, so I'm interested to see if they share casting with it.

*Sauce: my acting and film production degrees
    Well-put, hey. Based on the other replies to this thread one would think that only shoujo/josei get decent live action adaptations, discounting musicals and stage plays. I don't know of any counterexamples, in any case.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to hiddenblink For This Useful Post:

Flordibel (05-07-2020)

*hair toss*
    Pronouns
    She/her/hers
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    58/0
    Mentioned
    401 times
    Time Online
    82d 1h 11m
    Avg. Time Online
    47m
    If anyone is interested, Haisute is offering (you need an account to see links)

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Flordibel For This Useful Post:

hiddenblink (05-09-2020)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    9/0
    Mentioned
    Never
    Time Online
    12h 2m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    Did anyone watched the Rurouni kenshin live action? Pretty good, I reccomend it strongly.
    Here in Brazil was on Netflix