Thread: Suggestions for hiding my IP address?

Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    Never
    Time Online
    3h 29m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A

Suggestions for hiding my IP address?

Hello! I am new here, so I wouldn�t be surprised if people are reluctant to help me.

Some background: I recently purchased a lovely rare neopet on a shell account from a seller I buy from all the time. Before my 2 year hiatus I would use a vpn called ghost to safely move my items and pets to my main. I looked at a guide recently and realized doing that again may be a bad idea, for ghost is widely used by the ffxiv community to make the launcher work. Since shadowbringers was a big hit, I wouldn�t be surprised if ghost is used even more.

What should I use instead, if any vpn at all? I see proxies are also used, but I have no idea what those are about or even which company to trust getting one from. And as an extra note: the guide didn�t want to list any preferred vpns and only listed vpns you probably shouldn�t use for this like tor and HMA.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    28/0
    Mentioned
    161 times
    Time Online
    27d 2h 43m
    Avg. Time Online
    16m
    I would use VPN's to mask your IP. If you want to be very safe, Private VPN's are the best route to go since open source ones can be linked to other accounts (such as HMA Pro)!

Delibird's Showdown / Guides

Art by @Charmander

The Dynamic Duo:

Artwork by @Dankruse

[GUIDE] (you need an account to see links)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Delibird For This Useful Post:

Draconic (04-20-2020)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    27/0
    Mentioned
    2 times
    Time Online
    8d 6h 41m
    Avg. Time Online
    5m
    If we are talking about unconverted pet, I would suggest leave it to the account for a couple of weeks before you try to transfer it. Keep in mind that usually only tier 9-10 UC (highest Tiers) and super good names (like Cherry, Cutie, Malcolm etc..) are being closely monitored. If the pet you bought doesn't belong to these categories, after a couple of weeks you are good to go with the transfer to your account. Another link you could use is the UC part of this guide: (you need an account to see links)

Now, when you decide that it is time to transfer it, you can either use private proxy (new IP - always the same) or private VPN(new IP - IP can change + end-to-end encryption).

My suggestion is that if this is a one time transfer, use a free public proxy, make all the transfers and then use the account as a side-account with the same IP as your main.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to steeler For This Useful Post:

Chambers (04-25-2020),Draconic (04-20-2020)

Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    Never
    Time Online
    3h 29m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    Thank you both so much for answering!

Is a private vpn just the paid version? Sorry for the silly question, I don’t deal too deeply in this sort of stuff.

I already planned on waiting a few weeks before transfer because the pet is a tier 8 uc with a good name (or decent name, depending on your tastes.) I don’t plan on keeping the shell, though, because I already actively use 5 accounts and juggling more than that would be too much for me. I read the guide you linked (very handy) and I’m wondering if the situation will be slightly different since I plan for the pet to live on one of my themed side accounts and not my main account. Is it safe to just slam dunk it onto my side and then never mention it for a few months or should I pretend I’m a player on the shell for a bit before I transfer?

Again thank you so much for replying to a newbie. I’m very excited to get this new pet, especially since the real world has been so stressful and I still have to work during it. D:

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    7/0
    Mentioned
    3 times
    Time Online
    1d 8h 1m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    If you set up your own VPN you'd be sure that no one else would be using that IP

8. The Following User Says Thank You to konkoct For This Useful Post:

Ked (04-20-2020)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    27/0
    Mentioned
    2 times
    Time Online
    8d 6h 41m
    Avg. Time Online
    5m
    Quote Originally Posted by Draconic View Post
    Thank you both so much for answering!

Is a private vpn just the paid version? Sorry for the silly question, I don’t deal too deeply in this sort of stuff.

I already planned on waiting a few weeks before transfer because the pet is a tier 8 uc with a good name (or decent name, depending on your tastes.) I don’t plan on keeping the shell, though, because I already actively use 5 accounts and juggling more than that would be too much for me. I read the guide you linked (very handy) and I’m wondering if the situation will be slightly different since I plan for the pet to live on one of my themed side accounts and not my main account. Is it safe to just slam dunk it onto my side and then never mention it for a few months or should I pretend I’m a player on the shell for a bit before I transfer?

Again thank you so much for replying to a newbie. I’m very excited to get this new pet, especially since the real world has been so stressful and I still have to work during it. D:
    Private VPN means you are not sharing the same IP with someone else. Usually it is the paid version . Keep in mind that even some Paid VPN versions don't give you private IPs. If you want a private IP you have to buy an IP (proxy IP or VPN) that specifically states it is private and not shared.

If I were you I would wait around 1 month, maybe a little less, maybe a little more before I transfer. Then I would put it on a side account, preferably the one that is the oldest, with the most avatars and most trophies, to make it seem as "legit" as possible. If all your side accounts look empty then try to customize this account, like use a CSS format in the page(takes ~1 minute to copy paste a simple one), put cheap backgrounds in all the pets(takes also 1 minute and 5k NP only) etc, make it seem like you are actually engaged on this. And then remember to NOT advertise it in the neopets forums or post with this account in these forums.