Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 time
    Time Online
    1d 1h 15m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    I used Duolingo or self-learn from Animes.

Pronouns
    they/them
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    26/0
    Mentioned
    27 times
    Time Online
    17d 23h 9m
    Avg. Time Online
    7m
    I study Japanese whenever I have some time (my focus on entrance exams basically has me tied to either english/spanish at any given time ), usually on PC or on my phone. I usually follow a textbook (Genki, in this case, though I'm gonna take a look at Minna no Nihongo) and use other apps on the side, like Duolingo, to memorize some stuff. Keeping notes also helps me a lot, since that's mostly how I learn things, by writing it down lol

Also been trying out Minato ((you need an account to see links)) as an alternative for classes, since I can't really afford any sort of class (online or not) currently. Seems really good so far, meets my expectations. A bit hard for me to keep up with in the sense that I have no discipline and won't focus on anything if I have a computer right in front of me.

On the phone, if I have the time, I usually go with Duolingo and LingoDeer for learning/memorization. LingoDeer is mostly when I need to learn something, as it's got access to some textbook-like blurbs before each lesson. And kanji memorization with one of those kanji study apps, with a dictionary and trace guides etc etc.

I've learned most of my Japanese from other sources though, like anime and tv shows, songs (idol anime doing me a solid here!!), twitter, news, games, visual novels and otome games (which is basically "I will learn Japanese or else" since most of this stuff isn't localized or even fantranslated in the west aha).

I don't have much of a schedule or any sort of habit, I think. Closest thing to that would be how I annoyingly insist on practicing right before bed, which ends up with me forgetting all about it the next day so I end up having to go through all of it again later lmao

Definitely the hardest part for me is memorizing kanji. I get them mixed up a lot, and if I don't practice constantly I end up forgetting them.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Decepticon For This Useful Post:

Nami (04-27-2020)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    75/0
    Mentioned
    16 times
    Time Online
    6d 10h 14m
    Avg. Time Online
    2m
    Quote Originally Posted by Robindoo View Post
    I used Duolingo or self-learn from Animes.
    Self-learn from animes is where I started getting my first words too!

Quote Originally Posted by Decepticon View Post
    I study Japanese whenever I have some time (my focus on entrance exams basically has me tied to either english/spanish at any given time ), usually on PC or on my phone. I usually follow a textbook (Genki, in this case, though I'm gonna take a look at Minna no Nihongo) and use other apps on the side, like Duolingo, to memorize some stuff. Keeping notes also helps me a lot, since that's mostly how I learn things, by writing it down lol

Also been trying out Minato ((you need an account to see links)) as an alternative for classes, since I can't really afford any sort of class (online or not) currently. Seems really good so far, meets my expectations. A bit hard for me to keep up with in the sense that I have no discipline and won't focus on anything if I have a computer right in front of me.

On the phone, if I have the time, I usually go with Duolingo and LingoDeer for learning/memorization. LingoDeer is mostly when I need to learn something, as it's got access to some textbook-like blurbs before each lesson. And kanji memorization with one of those kanji study apps, with a dictionary and trace guides etc etc.

I've learned most of my Japanese from other sources though, like anime and tv shows, songs (idol anime doing me a solid here!!), twitter, news, games, visual novels and otome games (which is basically "I will learn Japanese or else" since most of this stuff isn't localized or even fantranslated in the west aha).

I don't have much of a schedule or any sort of habit, I think. Closest thing to that would be how I annoyingly insist on practicing right before bed, which ends up with me forgetting all about it the next day so I end up having to go through all of it again later lmao

Definitely the hardest part for me is memorizing kanji. I get them mixed up a lot, and if I don't practice constantly I end up forgetting them.
    That's very interesting! I've got Genki also but since I'm only fluent in Hiragana by now I haven't done much in this book except the first lesson. But I can't wait to start really working with it! For vocabulary I downloaded Anki, I heard that's what a lot of people do. But since everyone is mentioning Duolingo/Lingodeer I should really download them too.
    I haven't seen much idol anime, but those I watched are really cute!
    That sounds kinda exhausting tbh but the second time you go through is easier, isn't it? I couldn't practice right before bed, I'm mostly too sleepy to even remember the series I start watching. XD
    I've heard that Kanji's are a problem for a lot of people, I still hope it won't be as bad for me as I read everywhere. :') But I have still a way to go.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    37/0
    Mentioned
    11 times
    Time Online
    9d 17h 30m
    Avg. Time Online
    6m
    I use Duolingo as well, it's for mobile and it's really accessible. So when I'm on the road (not driving haha) or waiting in line somewhere it's always a good time for practice. It's pretty basic so if you're a beginner it's great. Last summer I visited Japan and I was pretty amazed of how I was able to learn to read the signs and maps only by using this app! I definitely recommend this app. (It has tons of languages you can learn, even dothraki - and it's free!)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to mokavanila For This Useful Post:

Nami (04-27-2020)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    75/0
    Mentioned
    16 times
    Time Online
    6d 10h 14m
    Avg. Time Online
    2m
    Quote Originally Posted by mokavanila View Post
    I use Duolingo as well, it's for mobile and it's really accessible. So when I'm on the road (not driving haha) or waiting in line somewhere it's always a good time for practice. It's pretty basic so if you're a beginner it's great. Last summer I visited Japan and I was pretty amazed of how I was able to learn to read the signs and maps only by using this app! I definitely recommend this app. (It has tons of languages you can learn, even dothraki - and it's free!)
    Amazing! How long have you stayed there and where? I hadn't the chance to travel to japan yet but hopefully will be able to soon! I actually downloaded the app already and I like it so far, it's really nice for remembering the characters and learning some basic vocabulary at the same time!

Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    7 times
    Time Online
    4d 13h 47m
    Avg. Time Online
    2m
    (Btw, a friend recommended me the game: Learn Japanese To Survive! Kanji Combat. You can find it in Steam, have yet to try it, but it seems pretty good)

9. The Following User Says Thank You to MKM For This Useful Post:

Nami (04-29-2020)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    37/0
    Mentioned
    11 times
    Time Online
    9d 17h 30m
    Avg. Time Online
    6m
    Quote Originally Posted by Nami View Post
    Amazing! How long have you stayed there and where? I hadn't the chance to travel to japan yet but hopefully will be able to soon! I actually downloaded the app already and I like it so far, it's really nice for remembering the characters and learning some basic vocabulary at the same time!
    I've been there for 1 month with my best friend. We went to all the tourist spots haha, Tokyo, Kyoto, Nara, Kawaguchiko and Osaka. The app is good especially because it lets you practice ALOT so you don't forget anything!

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    75/0
    Mentioned
    16 times
    Time Online
    6d 10h 14m
    Avg. Time Online
    2m
    Quote Originally Posted by MKM View Post
    (Btw, a friend recommended me the game: Learn Japanese To Survive! Kanji Combat. You can find it in Steam, have yet to try it, but it seems pretty good)
    Thank you! I'll go and look it up as soon as I reached that Kanji stage!

Quote Originally Posted by mokavanila View Post
    I've been there for 1 month with my best friend. We went to all the tourist spots haha, Tokyo, Kyoto, Nara, Kawaguchiko and Osaka. The app is good especially because it lets you practice ALOT so you don't forget anything!
    That's lovely!! All the places I want to visit too! Did you buy a Rail Pass or how did you travel? When I was looking up some blogs for Japan Travel they said it's quite expensive if you don't buy them. How many hours did the flight need? From here it's like 14 hours and that's just insane, idk how I will survive this in the future. xD

Quote Originally Posted by hairlessly View Post
    I picked up Korean when I lived there but now I'm actually trying to learn Japanese through documentaries like Japan Travel and Japan Hour. It's fun to learn another language while doing something enjoyable. If it's just books and classes it just bores me.
    Korean is also very interesting! I had a short K-Pop hype back in 2012 and remember that I wanted to learn Korean so badly but since I wanted to learn Japanese more, I never did. XD
    I don't know about those documentaries, I need to look them up. Thanks!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Nami For This Useful Post:

MKM (04-29-2020)

Pronouns
    he/him
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    65/2
    Mentioned
    264 times
    Time Online
    44d 2h 44m
    Avg. Time Online
    43m
    Korean is also very interesting! I had a short K-Pop hype back in 2012 and remember that I wanted to learn Korean so badly but since I wanted to learn Japanese more, I never did. XD
    I don't know about those documentaries, I need to look them up. Thanks!
    Korean and Japanese are pretty similar in language. They are both derived mostly from Hanja, the traditional Chinese characters. I know many Korean friends who have easily picked up Japanese, and equally Japanese friends who have easily picked up Korean. I would love to learn Japanese too. Maybe someday, if I get the chance to live in Japan!!

You can try finding these documentaries on YouTube. I watch reruns on television. It's about Japanese celebrities traveling to rural parts of Japan and asking locals for interesting places to go. I believe it's called Japan Hour??

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Unown For This Useful Post:

Nami (04-29-2020)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    37/0
    Mentioned
    11 times
    Time Online
    9d 17h 30m
    Avg. Time Online
    6m
    That's lovely!! All the places I want to visit too! Did you buy a Rail Pass or how did you travel? When I was looking up some blogs for Japan Travel they said it's quite expensive if you don't buy them. How many hours did the flight need? From here it's like 14 hours and that's just insane, idk how I will survive this in the future. xD
    Japan is 14 hours flight from where I live and we had a connection in Hong Kong (before the korona hit!) We bought the Rail Passes because it's much faster than traveling by bus. 500km from Tokyo to Kyoto only took us about 3 hours. The bus might be a lot cheaper but we got once into a typhoon and some of the roads to Tokyo were closed so a 2-hour drive took us more than 6 hours on the road. (We were lucky to have a toilet room inside the bus haha).
    When you travel to Japan you need to plan ahead - there is a Rail Pass that is unique for tourists and it only ships abroad, so you need to get it to your country and you can't buy this type of rail pass in Japan. You also should check the specific trains you want to go on because they are not always frequent and we got stuck in Osaka one extra day because we missed the 5 pm train back to Tokyo!
    One last tip I wish I knew about before- the Ghibli Museum in Tokyo sells online tickets for pretty cheap In every 10th of a month for the following month and they run out pretty quick and a visit there is a must.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to mokavanila For This Useful Post:

Nami (04-29-2020)