DL/UL
    31/0
    Mentioned
    15 times
    Time Online
    9d 17h 36m
    Avg. Time Online
    3m
    thanks! it'll be a year this summer. it's definitely not the anime dream it might seem it is (the PAPERWORK omfg) but overall i definitely want to stay here for a good while yet!

uwu

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    14/0
    Mentioned
    4 times
    Time Online
    3d 13h 24m
    Avg. Time Online
    2m
    Quote Originally Posted by Nami View Post
    @(you need an account to see links) just do it! once you start and make a small routine it really isn't that hard! Maybe you should start with duolingo as they have a lot of languages, and the exercises are very short and good to remember! That way you can see if there is a language that you're interested in!
    You know what! Im going to check that app right meow! LOL thanks

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    23/0
    Mentioned
    3 times
    Time Online
    9h 17m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    I've considered it, and I might pick it up one of these days when I can get off my lazy bum; I'm thinking after i learn the characters, sentences syntax, vocabulary, I'll try to do a personal journal as a tip one post told me about. I guess being stuck at home is the best way to start learning new skills, maybe i should brush up my russian again.

Chopper
    Pronouns
    she / her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    55/0
    Mentioned
    128 times
    Time Online
    34d 6h 23m
    Avg. Time Online
    16m
    I took Japanese lessons in the past and stopped after I've gotten my JLPT3.
    I think it has been more than 10 years and I've basically forgotten pretty much everything except for the basics.

I learned French too but it was sooooo intimidating and tough.

I'm proficient in Chinese as it's my mother tongue. I can help if anyone needs help with Chinese.
    Some of the kanji are similar to the words in Chinese and have the same meanings so it definitely helped me pick up faster.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    58/0
    Mentioned
    84 times
    Time Online
    56d 22h 13m
    Avg. Time Online
    21m
    Try Italki if you want can send you recommendation code. I think we can both get benefit.
    I speak fluently and write fluently.
    Went to school in Japan and started learning on italki
    Classes are cheap you can find 7$ per hr tutor

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    47/0
    Mentioned
    443 times
    Time Online
    64d 10h 27m
    Avg. Time Online
    26m
    (Omg how come I've only seen this thread now??)

I'm studying Japanese for a long time now! Unfortunately I can't dedicate as much time as I want for this, so my level doesn't reflect the amount of "time" since I've started, but I'm doing pretty good. I'm on level I can pretty much understand any conversation on various levels, and I can comfortably read (still need furigana but learning kanji bit by bit).

I've tried a lot of methods throughout the years and I can confidently say the best method (for me) is through some kind of "system". Meaning, not alone. The first time I took a course was after I had some basic knowledge already, but it was so much more fun and efficient! After finishing this short course, I even went to Japan for a whole month to study Japanese in a school that's made especially for foreigners! My time there was the best. Both from the enjoyment side and the actual studying side - in only one month I learned so much. It's so different than studying alone.... but yeah, most of the time I study by myself with online resources.

I should also mention that I'm a fansubber. I translate anime to my native language (which is Hebrew)! When I just started my Japanese wasn't good enough to use only the Japanese, so I also used English translation, but now day I'm glad to say I'm translating from Japanese directly! And aside from anime I also like to translate songs, or even other Japanese content like radio programs, seiyuu videos etc!

Anyway, I wish this insight helped / gave ideas to someone! Good luck ^~^
    Last edited by TsUNaMy WaVe; 07-30-2020 at 04:46 AM.

(you need an account to see links)

(you need an account to see links) || (you need an account to see links)
    I̶ ̶w̶a̶n̶t̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶b̶a̶k̶a̶ ̶u̶s̶e̶r̶b̶a̶r̶ ̶v̶e̶r̶y̶ ̶m̶u̶c̶h̶!̶ I GOT IT!!!

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    39/0
    Mentioned
    4 times
    Time Online
    1d 18h 5m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    I have been working on it on and off for years, I think that's the first thing, don't do that, it's better to stick with it and work consistently rather than coming and going about a billion times. If I'd taken my own advice I'd be well and truly fluent by now, but life happens and sometimes that can't be helped.

I found hiragana really easy, but katakana I always forget really quickly because I used it less, so every time I don't study for a while there are parts of it that I forget. Kanji is not too bad, I think people make it sound scarier and more difficult than it actually is. I really need to be more stubborn with sticking to learning it because I always love it. Right now I'm actually also learning French and Scots Gaelic (because I'm Scottish and live in Scotland and it'd be awful for the language to die out). I really like learning things in general, but especially languages. I remember way back when I was in school I was so disappointed because there were only two other people in my year who wanted to study Japanese and only one other person who wanted to study French so they couldn't offer the classes, it was also a shame because my Japanese teacher was one of my favourite teachers. At least nowadays it's much easier to self-teach.

Rambles about the things I like and use or have used.
    I found mnemonics and creating mental images helps a lot with learning the different kana, like looking at the character and picking out what you think it looks like and including the sound in the description. I found that much more helpful than just straight up trying to memorise. There's a site called WaniKani which teaches kanji this way starting with the parts that make up the kanji and it is really good. It also used Spaced Repition which means that it teaches you in a way that makes it stick. The first several levels are free (and it takes time to get through them) so it's the sort of thing you can try, see if it works for you and then decide whether you want to or can afford the full version. There is also an app that goes with it so you don't have to be at a computer.

I like the app Human Japanese because it teaches the language and also gives you info about Japan and there are quizes and audio to help with the pronunciations. However I often wish it came with an audiobook mode or something.

I also have a Japanese Dictionary app, I think it might just be called Japanese dictionary, it has a red squid looking logo. It's pretty easy to use

As far as actual physical stuff, I really like the Genki series, this is what I've mostly used but it's not cheap. Most actual teachers and courses I've seen use it though, certainly the university course I was going to take years ago used it. I also have a book called All About Particles, which is useful.

I also think singing along to easier songs can be really good for pronunciation and building up speed through experience (which is also handy for listening), although I get that that probably isn't for everyone, but for me it brings together two of my different interests.

My most used tool though is Duolingo because it's free and I use it for studying other languages so usually I have it open already and can just switch language to Japanese. I really need to be better about using the other books etc at my disposal, I just went through a busy time so I went from studying every day to not studying.
    Last edited by BoopnDoot; 08-11-2020 at 02:45 PM.

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    Never
    Time Online
    10h 55m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    It's definitely on my to do list! Along with 100 other things to learn :/

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    10/0
    Mentioned
    1 time
    Time Online
    12h 10m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    I've been wanting to but I feel so intimidated to even start. I got a couple of "games" on steam (Learn Japanese to survive) awhile ago thinking it'd help but keep getting intimidated thinking about it. I suppose I'm always like this with starting new things though. I really need to jump in.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    15/0
    Mentioned
    1 time
    Time Online
    3h 26m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    I WISH, can someone recomend me a japanese online school?