Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: [Coronavirus] What good have you seen come out of this situation? What do you hope we learn?

Pronouns
    lmao who cares
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    5/0
    Mentioned
    66 times
    Time Online
    23d 11h 5m
    Avg. Time Online
    8m
    One silver lining I've found is that with everyone quarantined and stuck at home, I can actually video call with friends I haven't been able to see/talk to in years because we're always so busy.

I video-called one of my best friends a couple weeks ago, who I haven't seen in real life since 2014 and hadn't video-called since 2018 because of our mutually busy lives (and that he lives in France and I live in the US). It was extremely nice to see and talk to him again, and my heart felt so full afterwards. We had like a 3-hour call and I'm so grateful. I miss him wholeheartedly.

And I just got off a call with a friend I made in 2014 on OKC that I've never met in real life or even called or video-called. But despite that we've been good friends and they're someone I consider to be one of the most special people in my life. We've had super deep and lengthy conversations, just never actually called. But we finally did tonight! Had an hour and a half video call and it was so beyond wonderful to see them and really talk. We have always vibed well and it was nice to actually connect face-to-face even though we live miles apart (across the country).

So the virus may have a lot of negatives, but I'm thankful I get to connect with people I love and see their beautiful faces.

^^ Thanks to Menine for the icon & Gremlin for this userbar!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Crow For This Useful Post:

bootiesrus (05-28-2020)

Thanks
    DL/UL
    126/0
    Mentioned
    300 times
    Time Online
    218d 12h 58m
    Avg. Time Online
    1h 44m
    My country is finally modernizing itself. It has always annoyed me how I had to drive 30 minutes to sign some paperwork when entire systems for e-contracts/signatures exist (but are used only by big companies), have to go to the nearest bank to pay certain bills, not being able to make online payments on some things for no reason at all, etc. Now suddenly everything works online and I'm LOVING it.

This is a paradise for people who hate socializing, yee haw

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Cybun For This Useful Post:

bootiesrus (05-28-2020)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    20/0
    Mentioned
    2 times
    Time Online
    2d 9h N/A
    Avg. Time Online
    2m
    I'm just really hoping this has all taught the world that we can slow down, that productivity isn't the only goal of life. We can get things done, and also enjoy free time, spend time on relationships, hobbies, and interests.
    There's a saying.. “Being busy is a form of laziness — lazy thinking and indiscriminate action.” & some other quotes from more zen perspectives saying how being busy all the time is a western culture thing of being too lazy to be quiet, to be still, to feel things fully.

I'm so sick of the culture that you have to be busy all the time, you have to have something going on all the time; I think it's a major cause for the world's anxiety and depression. We waste our free time being anxious that its free! Am I doing enough? It's like you feel guilty. But the thing is, theoretically, you could ALWAYS be doing 'more' - whatever that means- but IS THAT THE POINT! Why should that be the point? The point should be to enjoy life, have challenges, grow, create quality in aspects of life that you're personally interested in, and to share the life experience together.

I hope the world will move toward 4 day work weeks and 3 day weekends at the standard. A lot of industries have learned people can work from home and be even more productive in less time than if they're chained to their desk they have to commute to. & Frankly, as a species, we are TOOOO productive, we PRODUCE & CONSUME far too much, we're destroying our planet because of it, and we WASTE wayy too much because we produce & consume too much. It's like we just can't get off the rat wheel because if one of us does, there's still everybody else running on it for no reason but because everybody else is.

You think you want ice cream. So you eat it. And then it's gone. But then you have a stomach ache. What you really want is a bowl of ice cream, that's never empty, and a stomach, that's never full. Well guess what. Life is a bowl that's never empty, and your spirit is a stomach that's never full. You got watcha want. LIFE

I just want to live my life like it's a Studio Ghibli film

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to blairpie For This Useful Post:

♥ Blissey ♥ (07-24-2020),bootiesrus (05-28-2020),Gato (05-28-2020),j03 (05-28-2020),Oblivious (05-28-2020)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    36/0
    Mentioned
    6 times
    Time Online
    9d 12h 28m
    Avg. Time Online
    3m
    Quote Originally Posted by blairpie View Post
    I'm just really hoping this has all taught the world that we can slow down, that productivity isn't the only goal of life. We can get things done, and also enjoy free time, spend time on relationships, hobbies, and interests.
    There's a saying.. “Being busy is a form of laziness — lazy thinking and indiscriminate action.” & some other quotes from more zen perspectives saying how being busy all the time is a western culture thing of being too lazy to be quiet, to be still, to feel things fully.

I'm so sick of the culture that you have to be busy all the time, you have to have something going on all the time; I think it's a major cause for the world's anxiety and depression. We waste our free time being anxious that its free! Am I doing enough? It's like you feel guilty. But the thing is, theoretically, you could ALWAYS be doing 'more' - whatever that means- but IS THAT THE POINT! Why should that be the point? The point should be to enjoy life, have challenges, grow, create quality in aspects of life that you're personally interested in, and to share the life experience together.

I hope the world will move toward 4 day work weeks and 3 day weekends at the standard. A lot of industries have learned people can work from home and be even more productive in less time than if they're chained to their desk they have to commute to. & Frankly, as a species, we are TOOOO productive, we PRODUCE & CONSUME far too much, we're destroying our planet because of it, and we WASTE wayy too much because we produce & consume too much. It's like we just can't get off the rat wheel because if one of us does, there's still everybody else running on it for no reason but because everybody else is.
    Amen to this. It's really been a good time to reflect and I think alot of people have.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    8/0
    Mentioned
    33 times
    Time Online
    2d 5h 41m
    Avg. Time Online
    1m
    Someone asked me the same question and I thought hard. My conclusions are pretty similar to @(you need an account to see links) in that we do not need to be doing something constantly in order to feel human. Being alive means so much more than being "productive" in the work sense. I think that's something really important to understand. Take time to rest and carve time for hobbies and interests!

Also, at a personal level I've begun to see things that are truly important to me. Things that are good to have but I can live without. It's been a period of real prioritizing and cutting out of excesses and de-cluttering.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to wreck4ge For This Useful Post:

blairpie (07-09-2020)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    13/0
    Mentioned
    228 times
    Time Online
    35d 5h 59m
    Avg. Time Online
    14m
    lol the only good that's come out of this are the memes. Otherwise I think the whole thing is shit.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    4/0
    Mentioned
    1 time
    Time Online
    2d 11h 19m
    Avg. Time Online
    2m
    I assume any positive effects will be totally fleeting while many negative ones will endure for a long time

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    3/0
    Mentioned
    32 times
    Time Online
    1d 23h 31m
    Avg. Time Online
    1m
    i *know* we're extremely lucky but the company we work for has given us emergency bonuses multiple times, allowed us to WFH for the whole year since march, and since it's doing really well in sales due to being essential and in demand we're getting some pretty decent bonuses next month. it's allowed me to pay off a TON of debt and improve my credit score by 80 pts!! which will really help when we start looking for a home to buy.

i'm so grateful that things have worked out that way.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to regimes For This Useful Post:

bootiesrus (07-24-2020)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    17/0
    Mentioned
    8 times
    Time Online
    4d 11h 59m
    Avg. Time Online
    1m
    i'm glad that the whole contactless shopping is becoming a thing, but that's because i'm more of an introvert than anything lmao. so i appreciate not having to leave my car to get groceries or stuff at target. i also don't have to feel obligated to smile at strangers that smile at me

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Appletun For This Useful Post:

bootiesrus (07-28-2020)

Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    13 times
    Time Online
    18h 22m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    I hope this doesn�t sound selfish but I was finally able to work from home! So happy! My commute is an hour each way so it�s like I just was �given� more time in my day! I�m so excited. My cat is pretty happy about it too. 🐈

17. The Following User Says Thank You to StockingAnarchy For This Useful Post:

bootiesrus (07-28-2020)