Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Would you make audiobooks if you could?

*hair toss*
    Pronouns
    She/her/hers
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    58/0
    Mentioned
    401 times
    Time Online
    82d 1h 11m
    Avg. Time Online
    47m

Would you make audiobooks if you could?

Today one of my favorite authors, Tamora Pierce, (you need an account to see links):

"Yes, you can stream yourself reading my books. Please do. Reading is a wonderful way to experience people, relationships, and the world from the safety of your own home. If we all do our part to make these times a little easier for everyone... it'll be a little easier."

Now, streaming yourself reading is different than recording an audiobook of course (and harder? Because you can't edit out your mistakes), but if given this kind of carte blanche opportunity by an author, would you snatch it up and either stream yourself / record an audiobook version?

I definitely would. I think the hardest part for me would be doing different voices for everyone! (And getting a noise-free environment...)

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Flordibel For This Useful Post:

Fabulous (03-27-2020),MKM (01-08-2021)

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    6/0
    Mentioned
    339 times
    Time Online
    79d 6h 33m
    Avg. Time Online
    1h 7m
    Quote Originally Posted by Flordibel View Post
    I definitely would. I think the hardest part for me would be doing different voices for everyone! (And getting a noise-free environment...)
    You would be excellent at this <3

I also think it's awesome of authors to be doing this, I think Neil Gaiman is too? JKR?

you know when someone asks "why are you so dressed up"
    and you have to literally explain to them that this is who you are

asking the important questions

thanks @extraterrestrial for capturing my essence

anyway here's my petpet

*hair toss*
    Pronouns
    She/her/hers
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    58/0
    Mentioned
    401 times
    Time Online
    82d 1h 11m
    Avg. Time Online
    47m
    Quote Originally Posted by Fabulous View Post
    You would be excellent at this <3

I also think it's awesome of authors to be doing this, I think Neil Gaiman is too? JKR?

YOU'RE SO SWEET TO ME!!!! <3 <3 <3 *sob emoji* Thank youuuuuu aa;lskdjfjj

Are they all? That is so neat!!! Dang I'd love to read a Neil Gaiman book as well.... or!! Garth Nix. Maybe even Charles de Lint.

And by god am I adding sound effects. I'd probably turn mine more into like... a podfic than an actual audiobook!

Ah, wait no. It'd be a radio performance at that point, a la War of the Worlds.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    36/0
    Mentioned
    18 times
    Time Online
    9d 9h 43m
    Avg. Time Online
    9m
    I really appreciate authors who care about their fans in that regard.

I wouldn't stream it, but I do think recording it could be fun. Except I think my cat would meow through the whole thing.

overthink.exe
    Pronouns
    she/they
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    40/0
    Mentioned
    1,155 times
    Time Online
    550d 23h 17m
    Avg. Time Online
    3h 26m
    My voice isn't very appealing and I suck at doing character voices/accents/impersonations, so I feel like it's a no all around. That said, when I heard that Neil Gaiman gave his blessings for educators to read his books I did feel tempted to do a storytime for my students even though there's not really a time I could.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    15/0
    Mentioned
    14 times
    Time Online
    3d 1h 46m
    Avg. Time Online
    1m
    I definitely would! But I feel that there are very few titles that I like enough that I would bother making an audiobook of it. Fiction titles, that is.
    all that we see or seem is but a dream within a (you need an account to see links).

Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 times
    Time Online
    5d 13h 41m
    Avg. Time Online
    2m
    I would honesty rather never speak again than listen to myself reading a book, haha. I know its cliche but I can't stand listening to myself.

That being said, I love how thoughtful it is of the author to consider the fan connection.

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    17/0
    Mentioned
    257 times
    Time Online
    38d 23h 49m
    Avg. Time Online
    31m
    I think that I could do Sabriel or Lirael, or maybe the Hobbit. I love doing voices/accents and honestly getting to try to do Mogget would be an honour.

userbar by the delightful (you need an account to see links)

Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    66 times
    Time Online
    119d 7h 29m
    Avg. Time Online
    1h 5m
    Quote Originally Posted by Flordibel View Post
    Today one of my favorite authors, Tamora Pierce, (you need an account to see links):

"Yes, you can stream yourself reading my books. Please do. Reading is a wonderful way to experience people, relationships, and the world from the safety of your own home. If we all do our part to make these times a little easier for everyone... it'll be a little easier."

Now, streaming yourself reading is different than recording an audiobook of course (and harder? Because you can't edit out your mistakes), but if given this kind of carte blanche opportunity by an author, would you snatch it up and either stream yourself / record an audiobook version?

If it wasn't for my accent, I think I would. I'm not a huge fan of my voice but I do like audiobooks and think it could be a fun experience, but at the same time feel like I'd get judged for my accent if I posted it anywhere.

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    7/0
    Mentioned
    16 times
    Time Online
    14d 5h 23m
    Avg. Time Online
    5m
    I have narrated an audiobook - two actually, though only one is currently sold on audible (the other I completed but it didn�t work out in the end).

I think it�s tremendously hard work, and doing it on stream would be hard too, though of course people listening would be more understanding of your mistakes, breathing noises and such.

This sounds fun! I would love to do Harry Potter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk