24/0
    Mentioned
    54 times
    Time Online
    77d 12h 52m
    Avg. Time Online
    59m
    Quote Originally Posted by Magicleaf View Post
    Sorry to hear that Bon Bon it's probably wise to self isolate, hopefully you have friends or family that can help you and your mum out by getting you shopping etc? Where do you live?
    Yeah we have few friends who can come help and our church if needed. Right now we dont need anything. We live in IL, as of other day all schools closed til the 30th at least.

Avatar Art By - DankRUSE , Userbar by Infected

This frog believes in you!

Pronouns
    It
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    2/0
    Mentioned
    1 time
    Time Online
    7d 17h 58m
    Avg. Time Online
    7m
    Quote Originally Posted by Bon Bon View Post
    Yeah we have few friends who can come help and our church if needed. Right now we dont need anything. We live in IL, as of other day all schools closed til the 30th at least.
    Quite a few schools are closing over here too, it makes sense I suppose - and I bet the kids are thrilled about it haha!
    Well I'm glad you guys are okay we don't know how bad the virus is, but for 30p out of 1.3k people to die, at least here, that's not a high statistic and we don't know if they had underlying conditions and what the conditions were.

Let's hope that the wet markets in China will be stopped after this has happened again - not the first time and certainly won't be the last if it carries on.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    1/0
    Mentioned
    9 times
    Time Online
    27d 7h 35m
    Avg. Time Online
    17m
    I'm in a suburb of a major city in the northeast US but I commute to said big city every day for work - that city is currently at 329 cases. Our state government is handling things well, my county is doing great. I am currently waiting on my college where I work to ramp up WFH - that will be in everyone's best interest. We have several older people in my department who travel on public transportation and I worry for them. Our students will be fine: we have so many online resources as well as virtual chat and reference.

Personally, I visited my local supermarket on Friday - it was mostly stocked minus TP and NO chicken, it was insane. Luckily, my local butcher had meat, so yay for shopping local?

I was in the "this is ridiculous" camp until this weekend - cases are outpacing ICU beds in my state. Logically, I know many who get this virus will overcome it but I do not want to become a host for something that can infect a member of a vulnerable population.

Although many are not taking this seriously which is concerning - yesterday at a park in a neighborhood I used to live in:
    (you need an account to see links)

Yes, continue to live but maybe think of others who would be in a bad situation if they caught the disease.

Anyway, that's my 2 cents.
    Last edited by gjniev; 03-15-2020 at 02:27 PM. Reason: editing up to date cases

4. The Following User Says Thank You to gjniev For This Useful Post:

Fabulous (03-15-2020)

*hair toss*
    Pronouns
    She/her/hers
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    58/0
    Mentioned
    401 times
    Time Online
    82d 1h 11m
    Avg. Time Online
    47m
    The first case in my state was announced 1.5 weeks ago and a few folks have died. We're not in a state of emergency yet, but there's noi toilet paper, bread, eggs, or filtered/bottled water in any of the 3 grocery stores I've been to this morning. :/

In my hometown (~1.5 hours away from me), my mom reports that the local grocery had to lock their doors on Friday to stop them from being overrun!

My work has given us an unofficial order to work from home the next week. I'm going in tomorrow to get the lay of the land. I work for a healthcare org. in a non-clinical setting - reporting, actually. My boss asked me on Thursday to pull numbers on the amount of patients who'd answered "Yes" to questions regarding their exposure to the virus, and it was a little sobering to see!

Pronouns
    It
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    2/0
    Mentioned
    1 time
    Time Online
    7d 17h 58m
    Avg. Time Online
    7m
    Quote Originally Posted by Flordibel View Post
    The first case in my state was announced 1.5 weeks ago and a few folks have died. We're not in a state of emergency yet, but there's noi toilet paper, bread, eggs, or filtered/bottled water in any of the 3 grocery stores I've been to this morning. :/

In my hometown (~1.5 hours away from me), my mom reports that the local grocery had to lock their doors on Friday to stop them from being overrun!

My work has given us an unofficial order to work from home the next week. I'm going in tomorrow to get the lay of the land. I work for a healthcare org. in a non-clinical setting - reporting, actually. My boss asked me on Thursday to pull numbers on the amount of patients who'd answered "Yes" to questions regarding their exposure to the virus, and it was a little sobering to see!
    Wow well we’ve had crews outside our local Costco - think they were letting people in as they left. No locking doors yet but I worry panic may spark people to riot and maybe that’s why they will ask people to remain indoors eventually.

I’m curious what we’re the numbers? It’s difficult to know when you are exposed I suppose, although I went to the doctors for a routine mental health check and I was grilled by a staff member there about any possible symptoms. Without testing becoming routine I doubt the real figures will be available to us anytime soon and we wouldn’t know if we have been exposed or not.

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    172/0
    Mentioned
    657 times
    Time Online
    182d 5h 28m
    Avg. Time Online
    1h 16m
    The nearest confirmed case is 2.5hrs drive from me, but everyone is still freaking out. Grocery stores are picked clean, but thankfully I always stock my cupboards when prices are good. There's a lot of fear-mongering going on, and I don't think it's as big of a deal for the majority of society as suggested. Sure hospitals can't handle the projected numbers, but for most people they don't need to go to hospital anyway. Stay home, nurse your crappy flu and get over it like you do normally. Not tough.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mama Bear For This Useful Post:

Babaa (03-17-2020),RealisticError (03-15-2020)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    1/0
    Mentioned
    9 times
    Time Online
    27d 7h 35m
    Avg. Time Online
    17m
    Quote Originally Posted by Mama Bear View Post
    The nearest confirmed case is 2.5hrs drive from me, but everyone is still freaking out. Grocery stores are picked clean, but thankfully I always stock my cupboards when prices are good. There's a lot of fear-mongering going on, and I don't think it's as big of a deal for the majority of society as suggested. Sure hospitals can't handle the projected numbers, but for most people they don't need to go to hospital anyway. Stay home, nurse your crappy flu and get over it like you do normally. Not tough.
    I mean, sure, easier said when people aren't dropping like flies.

(you need an account to see links)

And that's the problem here: people aren't staying home and are risking infecting themselves and others.

*hair toss*
    Pronouns
    She/her/hers
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    58/0
    Mentioned
    401 times
    Time Online
    82d 1h 11m
    Avg. Time Online
    47m
    Quote Originally Posted by Magicleaf View Post
    I’m curious what we’re the numbers? It’s difficult to know when you are exposed I suppose, although I went to the doctors for a routine mental health check and I was grilled by a staff member there about any possible symptoms. Without testing becoming routine I doubt the real figures will be available to us anytime soon and we wouldn’t know if we have been exposed or not.
    I can't say much due to privacy, but it was in the low triple digits.

Pronouns
    It
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    2/0
    Mentioned
    1 time
    Time Online
    7d 17h 58m
    Avg. Time Online
    7m
    I don’t know WTF is going on with Italy at the moment but it’s certainly suffering a lot more than other countries, and it’s not handling the situation well at all - is there anyone from Italy on here I wonder, that could weigh in?

---------- Post added at 09:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:00 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Flordibel View Post
    I can't say much due to privacy, but it was in the low triple digits.
    Fair enough that’s understandable- still if that is just in a specific area, add that with the rest of the areas of the country and it would make a frightening number.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    9/0
    Mentioned
    9 times
    Time Online
    19d 1h 10m
    Avg. Time Online
    14m
    At first, I thought it was just hysteria and the media blowing it out of proportion. But my friends are nurses and the protocols they have to follow now are insane. They have to scan out masks the same way as narcotics due to the shortage. They're also cancelling non-emergency operations to free up rooms and staff for COVID patients. I also live in the Northeast of the US, between basically the two major cities you think of first.

I'm not worried about myself getting it, but I don't want to be a carrier. I understand that I will be okay, but my parents are older (65+) and I have family with PKD, diabeters, and cardiovascular disease - all are in the at risk population. I've stopped going to the gym and only really go to the grocery store (which was completely wiped out I might add). My work is still open and I'm commuting to and from work, but a lot of my friends in the cities are forced to work from home if they can
    Last edited by Rosie; 03-15-2020 at 04:08 PM. Reason: fat finger typos