117/0
    Mentioned
    87 times
    Time Online
    93d 19h 49m
    Avg. Time Online
    50m
    xxxxxxx
    Last edited by Pinecone; 04-04-2020 at 02:07 AM.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    33/0
    Mentioned
    4 times
    Time Online
    6d 6h 59m
    Avg. Time Online
    2m
    Just lost my job at a warehouse due to lack of protections there; they increased our workloads and a couple people I work with haven't been tested, but definitely caught the virus. I am healthy but there is no way I'm putting myself and my S/O at risk like that. I have a month's worth of savings right now, but who knows what will happen from here on out.

Pronouns
    Any
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    53/0
    Mentioned
    122 times
    Time Online
    116d 10h 26m
    Avg. Time Online
    43m
    Well, spoke too soon
    They furloughed a lot of people at my work today and they will likely do more in the near future.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    11/0
    Mentioned
    56 times
    Time Online
    6d 11h 25m
    Avg. Time Online
    2m
    Alright back at work in the ER, so now I can talk about how I see things.
    This situation is much, much worse than the media portrays it. Much worse.
    Our volume at the hospital has been cut to 1/3, which is nice, but the amount of acuity is much higher. Now the volume sounds like a great thing, but the problem is, even with LOW VOLUME, we DO NOT HAVE THE SUPPLIES TO MANAGE THIS.

I have had to wear the same mask for all of my shifts. Laypeople might not understand why this is a problem, but those of us who work in healthcare know that this is wrong and terrifying. They used to teach us that it is MANDATORY for us to switch masks between patients, and that we were not to wear them longer than 15 minutes.
    (you need an account to see links). This means that your healthcare providers are not safe, meaning YOU are not safe.

We have two non-surgical ventilators at my hospital. Two.

That means it only takes TWO very very sick patients to make it so we cannot care for critically ill patients with respiratory distress. This means any patient who has had to be intubated after those two patients, cannot be adequately cared for. People are intubated for more reasons than just corona, such as trauma, cardiac arrest, etc, and they will not have access to life saving treatment. We do not have the supplies to care for these patients.

Us healthcare workers are repeatedly exposed, and are becoming infected at very high rates. They are not testing a majority of healthcare workers, because there are simply not enough tests. We are not protected, and we are asked to care for many patients, possibly spreading it to them as well. Don't forget that many people who have corona virus may not show symptoms, but can still transmit the virus. This means that your doctor might have it, not know it, and give it to you. You in return, might give it to your grandparents, and kill them.

We have previously thought that this mainly effected the elderly, but we are seeing a lot of younger people die as well. If not they are becoming critically ill. My best friend works in ICU, and she says that she has never seen such a high percentage of young people at her unit.

We are not at the peak of infections, and our healthcare system already cannot handle it. A lot of people are going to die from this. A lot of small businesses are going to go bankrupt. Many have lost their jobs, and will not be able to return. For those of you who like to wear your tin foil hats and thing that the media is blowing this up, I suggest that you try to see this from a different perspective. I'm not huge on conspiracies, but I truly believe that the government is trying to downplay this to keep people from mass panic.

(you need an account to see links), yet we are only doing contact and droplet isolations in the hospital. I believe that the CDC is maintaining "droplet" precautions because we do not have enough n95 masks (these are masks you use for airborne diseases such as tb, surgical masks are what you use for droplet disease such as flu) and other supplies to maintain airborne precautions. My hospital only has 3 ER rooms that can be used for airborne precautions. That means we only have THREE ROOMS to SAFELY place our covid patients. Our infected numbers don't reflect the actual number of infected patients, because we do not have the capability to test everybody. Same with the number of deaths.

I feel like this is a good video from a NY ER doctor that reflects the situation. She mentions that people have come in for other reasons, such as a car wreck, and their CT scans indicate that they probably had corona virus and didn't even know it.

Let's say that this pandemic does end, we get a vaccine, everybody is fine and dandy. We will still have other problems to worry about, such as a second wave of health related issues from people not being able to visit the doctor for preventative medicine, economic damage, and employment rates. These things will not recover overnight.

This is a HUGE deal, in more ways than one.

EDIT:
    So I just got an email from work, from the joint commission, which heavily implies that the things that I�m saying could be true.

For context, the joint commission are the people that audit hospitals and fine you for not following all the guidelines by the book. This isn�t Karen from Facebook, this isn�t a news reporter that is relating information that they don�t have the background to understand what they�re talking about, this is a real, credible source.

(you need an account to see links)

They sent this out specifically to answer if we can wear homemade masks and provided valuable information discussing the possibility of covid being airborne (and even touches on the CDC recommending surgical masks in anticipation of shortages), infection rates among staff, etc.

"The CDC originally recommended that staff should wear N95 respirators instead ofsurgical masks when caring for patients with COVID-19 or those suspected of havingCOVID-19. The CDC later changed their recommendation to use of surgical masksduring care that did not generate aerosols (e.g., bronchoscopy, intubation). Althoughthis may have been precipitated by the emergence of PPE shortages, the CDC alsojustified this based on emerging evidence on the mode of transmission of the SARSCoV2 virus that causes COVID-19:
    Early reports suggest person-to-person transmission most commonly happensduring close exposure to a person infected with COVID-19, primarily viarespiratory droplets produced when the infected person coughs or sneezes.Droplets can land in the mouths, noses, or eyes of people who are nearby orpossibly be inhaled into the lungs of those within close proximity. Thecontribution of small respirable particles, sometimes called aerosols or dropletnuclei, to close proximity transmission is currently uncertain. However,airborne transmission from person-to-person over long distances is unlikely

However, a study published a week later reported that the SARS CoV2 virus remainsviable (and potentially infectious) when aerosolized with a half-life of approximately onehour. The authors concluded:
    Our results indicate that aerosol and fomite transmission of SARS-CoV-2 isplausible, since the virus can remain viable and infectious in aerosols for hoursand on surfaces up to days (depending on the inoculum shed). These findingsecho those with SARS-CoV-1, in which these forms of transmission wereassociated with nosocomial spread and super-spreading events.

In addition, an experimental study showed that standard masks only offer partialprotection from aerosolized influenza virus. In light of these studies, it isunderstandable why healthcare workers who must come in close contact with COVID-19 patients (e.g., during auscultation of the heart and chest) would have concerns about theadequacy of surgical masks.

A recent study provided strong evidence that there is significant risk of transmission ofSARS-CoV-2 among asymptomatic or minimally symptomatic patients. Based on this, itis reasonable for healthcare workers who provide direct patient care to want to takeuniversal precautions by wearing a surgical mask or even an N95 respirator with allpatients. Another factor that should be considered is the risk that healthcare workersmay have asymptomatic COVID-19 and could transmit the disease to both patients andother healthcare workers. Of Spain�s 40,000 confirmed coronavirus cases as of March24, 2020, approximately 14 percent were medical professionals. "

Stay safe folks.

EDIT:
    Positive update! They are now offering tests for healthcare workers at my hospital as long as we are displaying obvious symptoms. You should still exercise caution when seeking medical care though, due to the possibility of the healthcare provider not displaying symptoms. If you go to an emergency department/hospital, make sure to put your clothes into the washing machine and shower immediately when you get home. I personally enter my house through my garage door, take off my scrubs and place them into a paper bag in the garage, and transfer the paper bag to the washing machine and dispose of the paper bag.

I would even go so far as to do this after going to the grocery store. I know that my local grocery store had a few people test positive. While I was out shopping, I saw an older employee coughing straight onto the paper bags while stocking the self check out. (you need an account to see links)(I assume the paper is similar).

This is a perfect example how easy it could be to catch it. Because the employee was working with others who were positive, and he is displaying symptoms- he has a good chance of having it. He easily contaminated surfaces that will be handled by other people well before the 24 hour mark. Those people are going home to their families and gave it to them. If we weren't in quarantine, the family could have continued the spread at work and school. This should scare you, because people are nasty especially when they think others aren't looking. If you're outside of your house, be observant about the things you touch and make sure to wash ya damn hands.
    Last edited by kale; 04-02-2020 at 07:01 PM.

5. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to kale For This Useful Post:

Alcremie (03-31-2020),CeciliaCross (04-11-2020),Druid (04-05-2020),Gato (04-01-2020),gjniev (03-31-2020),♥ Hydrapple ♥ (03-31-2020),kittyray (04-02-2020),Maki (04-04-2020),My name is Yoshikage Kira (03-31-2020),nousha (04-01-2020),rallygou (04-17-2020),SpongeBob (04-01-2020),wonderrabbit (05-13-2020)

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    87 times
    Time Online
    44d 4h 33m
    Avg. Time Online
    42m
    What’s made it seem most serious to me, second to the horrifying and climbing death toll, is how fast laws have changed. Where I am they’re now stopping anyone less than 2m apart from someone else in public and fining up to $5000 (if they don’t live together), public parks are closed, gatherings of over 5 people are banned, alcohol can now be ordered as takeout from restaurants while our liquor laws were previously very strict, the emergency alert system that has only ever been for Amber Alerts sends reminders to stay home, there’s an emergency unemployment benefit being rolled out that’s essentially UBI.. at the beginning of March the things that made it seem very real were just entertainment closures - Broadway, pro sports, Disney, etc, and it’s crazy how fast that started seeming trivial compared to everything else. I’ve never seen such a strong governmental reaction to anything, back to and including 9/11. It’s both comforting and frustrating that societal structure can in fact turn on a dime when necessary and the status quo isn’t as untouchable as it’s made out to be.

On a personal level, I kind of feel in limbo still? It hasn’t hit very hard here yet, no one I know has gotten sick and our numbers are still comparatively quite low, but it’s definitely coming. It’s strange having day to day life be so mundane while something so big and scary happens really close by. I was going to go to NYC in early March but decided not to as this seemed like it was becoming a thing, now super glad I didn’t go. I’m worried about getting it, worried about losing people, worried that a couple of my friends don’t seem worried enough, generally half in shock and half numb to how bad it is.. I’m lucky in that I worked in a restaurant that closed so I’ve been able to stay home for a couple weeks already, but winter/early spring is already a skint time and there’s almost no way the restaurant will be able to afford to reopen after this so I probably don’t have a job to go back to. But that’s such a small thing at this point that I don’t even care, I just want to get through this.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    1/0
    Mentioned
    9 times
    Time Online
    27d 7h 35m
    Avg. Time Online
    17m
    Well, since my state is continuing our stay at home order until the 29th at the earliest, we'll not be back to the actual building until 'sometime in May' or later, probably. They're still checking to see which departments have fully transitioned to WFH but the email reads like they'll be looking to cut positions because the federal stimulus package doesn't cover us as an employer of 500+. Fingers crossed for myself and my colleagues

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    9/0
    Mentioned
    9 times
    Time Online
    19d 1h 10m
    Avg. Time Online
    14m
    Unemployment is so backed up in my state I don't know when I'll get my first paycheck, they're estimating 5+ weeks now. I have a savings that'll last me the next 4 weeks, but I don't know what to do after that

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    9/0
    Mentioned
    5 times
    Time Online
    3d 8h 30m
    Avg. Time Online
    2m
    Rosie, unemployment is backed up in my state too! My husband lost his job almost 2 weeks ago now and applied for unemployment immediately. We can't go much longer without him getting some sort of support. I guess we just have to hope they catch up. Meanwhile, my company is likely not going back to normal until May at the very least. I just hope they don't take us off the books, as the working from home option is definitely not very productive (for the company)... I hope things improve soon, although I fear they could get worse before they get better!

overthink.exe
    Pronouns
    she/they
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    40/0
    Mentioned
    1,155 times
    Time Online
    550d 23h 57m
    Avg. Time Online
    3h 26m
    I feel kind of guilty that my part time work was able to smoothly transition to remote and I'm still getting more every paycheck than the people working minimum wage jobs and putting themselves at risk every minute that they're working.

I'm stressed also stressed about getting some household things I've run out of. I figured supplies would be back to normal by now.

---------- Post added at 08:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:35 PM ----------

I found something that checks for Amazon Fresh delivery availabilities and processes the checkout and I'm trying to modify it to work for Prime Now and I can't not think of it as an autobuyer.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    82/0
    Mentioned
    101 times
    Time Online
    73d 12h 36m
    Avg. Time Online
    27m
    Got temporarily laid off because of this virus.

Thankfully, my country (hello Canada) is literally giving away $2,000 every month for the next 4 months. Its less than what I normally make but its better than nothing.

Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast