11/0
    Mentioned
    56 times
    Time Online
    6d 11h 25m
    Avg. Time Online
    2m
    Quote Originally Posted by Noxus View Post
    Just watched this video and I'd like to know what you guys think about it. A NYC nurse says that they have been "medically mismanaging" COVID patients, probably intentionally. I know we have some health workers here on ck, and I'm sure they'll understand even more what she's talking about.

And since I'm already on this thread, I'll admit that I'm on the "this is a ploy to reduce world population/dead weight for governments, and also to keep people at bay" train. Why?

That's a quick rundown.
    Alright 8 minutes into the video sofar, am medical professional so I can understand what she's talking about. I went into the video expecting her to spout some bullshit, (I often see poor healthcare providers do dramatic videos like this for attention, so be weary when you see videos like this. They often come from people who are terrible at their job and want to manipulate people for attention because of their job status), but the things I've heard so-far 8 minutes in are legitimate and terrifying. I don't have time to listen to the whole thing, but I'll give my piece on it. Maybe I can finish later and then add more to the post if I have time.

This is going to be a long rant, and I'm probably going to give more context than needed, but I'm going to explain why these things are happening- it's not the government or hospital specifically mismanaging the patients intentionally to thin the herd. I do believe the government has mismanaged this and this has caused serious problems, and there is some covering up that is being done (you can scroll back in this thread to see my write up, my theories are they're based off of what I've seen in my hospital/work emails/etc and I'll probably add a little more to this post), but the post you made completely misses the mark.

I'll start with the deaths that she discussed:

The problem is, is residents suck. They really do. I'll explain why. These are doctors who mostly come fresh from med school, (sometimes you'll rarely get an experienced doc who is just switching specialties). Most people who go from what I like to call 0 to hero are just simply awful when they start working. (you need an account to see links), out of necessity, because we weren't prepared and did not have enough resources to be able to care for a pandemic this size. 0 to hero basically means you go from no experience- only school, to a role with a large scope of practice. I don't want to sound too big for my britches, because I'm going to be real here- I am just an EMT, meaning I am BLS aka basic life saving- my scope is somewhat decent but limited. I'm near the bottom of the totem pole when it comes to medical licenses.

This background lets me lay the foundation to the statement I am about to make: Medicine is nothing like what they teach you in school. School barely prepares you for actually working medicine. The things that I learned that make me good at my job- I learned from watching other people and good ol' experience. If you have no prior healthcare experience, you will make terrible mistakes when you are new to the field. There are so many nuances, details, and intuitions that you won't learn from a textbook. Also, even if you have the education, you will find that when it comes down to emergency situations- people just freeze and forget everything they learned.

It all comes down experience. These residents don't always know what they're doing, and sometimes they have to just wing it. They have the book smarts, but they are way out of their league sometimes, and depending on the patient load the attending (their supervising doctor) has, they are stuck to make poor judgement calls by themselves. That resident doing compressions on someone with a HR of 30? WTF were they thinking? Shocking sinus bradycardia? What? You literally have to manually bypass the defibrillator to do that. It makes no sense, unless the nurse was lying about the rhythm the patient was in. Who knows, maybe the resident was misremembering their ALS protocols (compressions would be appropriate for a neonate with that HR for example) and just had tunnel vision and just acted on pure adrenaline and sleep deprivation. These poor newbies not only are drowning, but they're working inhumane hours (48+ hour long shifts exist in medicine. Especially for residents) . Imagine going on no sleep, overwhelmed with high acuity patients, and the chemicals in your brain yelling NO TIME TO THINK DO THING NOW, stupid shit is going to happen sometimes. This has nothing to do with the government or hospital, this is just a new doctor making a dumb-ass mistake that may or may not have cost their license and another person's life. The hospital has specific protocols for treatment, and protocols are developed by multi-level systems (such as medical director board, hospital board, etc etc + third party audits, that ensure that guidelines are met). The resident wasn't directed to treat that patient the way he did- because there are so many layers to the system that creates treatment protocols. There is no way that those protocols were able to be shifted by the government just to intentionally kill/injure covid patients, without anyone noticing.
    He just made a big stupid fucking mistake.

The nurse killing the patient with the NG tube- same thing. A shitty, shitty mistake that may have cost their license. NG tubes are tubes placed up your nose and into your stomach to give medicine/food. The nurse accidentally placed it into the lung and killed the person. There are hospital protocols to prevent this, you are to always to get a x-ray done to confirm correct placement before you put anything into the tube. At the very least- the nurse should have used their stethoscope to listen for gastric noises before even leaving the patient in the first place. This was not the hospital's or government's fault, it was either the doctor forgetting to place the order for the x-ray, and it was the nurses fault for not confirming correct placement before using the tube.

The hospitals are not changing their protocols to harm COVID patients, the healthcare workers are just being overworked, tired, and making terrible mistakes. Or maybe just simply incompetent. But the healthcare workers aren't being instructed by the government or hospital to hurt people, and they don't gain anything from hurting these people intentionally. They only have things to lose, such as money by getting the fucking shit sued out of them and their license to be ripped away so they could no longer work.

Now let me go to your other points:

- This virus kills mostly elderly people, of ages 75 or more (aka dead weight. I've heard that the USA government spends thousands of dollars a year to take care of elders)
    - Kills more men than women
    - People with diabetes, hypertension, cancer and other chronic diseases (aka dead weight) are more likely to die because of it
    - If statistics can be trusted, the USA has more deaths by COVID-19 than any other country in the world. Even more than China, Italy, or other Europe countries
    - If statistics can be trusted, this virus kills less than 7% of the people it infects (so why all the fuss about it?)
    - A quarantine is the best way to keep people under surveillance and under their thumbs, while feeding them fear but also some rays of sunshine here and there
    - Oh, and apparently there have been cases of COVID patients being "medically mistreated" in several countries. Over here, for example, there have been cases of people with tonsillitis or with no symptoms at all. They get admitted into a hospital, they give them completely unnecessary and risky treatments, which of course kills them. Only their ashes go out, and they blame it on COVID. Even if they had COVID, the virus didn't gave them an unnecessary treatment, right?
    Meh ok, I don't really want to go to in depth against the dead-weight stuff, except for you know, the (you need an account to see links), can stuffer from the same medical conditions as everyone else, and the pandemic has been incredibly expensive when it comes to (you need an account to see links), (you need an account to see links), and (you need an account to see links). Think about all these people who no longer have insurance due to job loss, all the stocks crashing (which effects the rich aka the government's money), unemployment, paying for research, etc. Long term, this is going to most likely cost way more than the "thousands" lost to caring for elders and other "dead weights" that you mentioned.

The "fuss" about the less than 7% death rate is not the death rate itself, it's how infectious it is, and how many other conditions develop secondary to COVID that is the "fuss". We don't have the resources in our health system to deal with the overload of sick patients. I did a long write up about this earlier in this thread, so I'm not going to go deep into it. You can scroll back and read it. That's the whole point of "flattening the curve". Most people will probably end up with COVID, we just need to slow the infection rate so we can treat these people. If everyone became sick at once, there is not enough supplies and equipment to go around. We would have to choose who we let live, and that would actually be the easiest way to get rid of that "dead weight" you were mentioning. Because in MCI training, (mass casualty incident), they teach us to care for the people with the most survivability, and the others just die.

Not going to go into surveillance thing, I know the man loves to spy on us. Can't deny that.

And for the last point, citation needed please.

Anyway, dear god I wrote way too much and spent too much time on this post. I'm not rereading and fixing it, sorry if it's a mess. I've procrastinated long enough on my homework for this, and I desperately need to go back to working on it.

I hope that you don't tl;dr this post- if you do, at least just read the rebuttal to your main posts and ignore the write up about the video. Like I said, I agree that the government has done a terrible job mismanaging this, but- I just think the points you've made are terrible.

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to kale For This Useful Post:

appleholic (05-28-2020),Blue-tooth (06-29-2020),DrSloth (06-25-2020),funnybell (06-02-2020),My name is Yoshikage Kira (07-05-2020),pinkpain (06-29-2020)