2/0
    Mentioned
    1 time
    Time Online
    7d 17h 58m
    Avg. Time Online
    7m

Lightbulb Let's talk about this Corona Virus

How is it affecting you? Where are you? What measures have your government put in place?

I'm in the UK, and to be honest I wasn't taking it very seriously - just figured it was scare mongering, but I had to do the shopping on saturday because there were no online slots for like a week, so in I went and it was crazy how many shelves were barren. The atmosphere was edgy and there was a woman crying because they didn't have any nappies or baby milk left, and she had been to all the local supermarkets with no luck.

I feel like the public's response is what worries me most, not the virus itself. Perhaps that's the wrong line of thought. What do you think?

People on neo have been mentioning that they are in lockdown, I'm just curious if anyone here is in the same boat?

I work as a veterinary nurse in an emergency clinic so for us closing isn't an option, but I also study and our college has now closed until further notice.

NOTE TO MODERATORS: Moved from general discussion to this thread as I felt it was more appropriate here, hope that's okay - I closed the other thread.
    Last edited by Magicleaf; 03-15-2020 at 11:07 AM.

*squeak*
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    34/1
    Mentioned
    1,751 times
    Time Online
    644d 29m
    Avg. Time Online
    3h 42m
    I foolishly attempted to do a bit of light grocery shopping this morning, only to find that my home and kitchen essentials were practically picked clean. I should've known better. A woman in front of me in the check-out line was unloading a bunch of fun size Play-Doh jars, and I mused that all the full size jars had been bought out because of the apocalypse.

I wish that I didn't have to buy toilet paper and oven pizzas off Amazon.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bat For This Useful Post:

Fabulous (03-15-2020),My name is Yoshikage Kira (03-17-2020)

Pronouns
    It
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    2/0
    Mentioned
    1 time
    Time Online
    7d 17h 58m
    Avg. Time Online
    7m
    Quote Originally Posted by Bat View Post
    I foolishly attempted to do a bit of light grocery shopping this morning, only to find that my home and kitchen essentials were practically picked clean. I should've known better. A woman in front of me in the check-out line was unloading a bunch of fun size Play-Doh jars, and I mused that all the full size jars had been bought out because of the apocalypse.

I wish that I didn't have to buy toilet paper and oven pizzas off Amazon.
    Amazon? I didn't think they did home stuff or groceries!

Yeah it's pretty crazy right now, where are you based?

All I keep thinking is those Doomsday Preppers must be like 'yeeeessss finallllllly, this is the moment we have been preparing for!!'

*squeak*
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    34/1
    Mentioned
    1,751 times
    Time Online
    644d 29m
    Avg. Time Online
    3h 42m
    Quote Originally Posted by Magicleaf View Post
    Amazon? I didn't think they did home stuff or groceries!

Yeah it's pretty crazy right now, where are you based?

All I keep thinking is those Doomsday Preppers must be like 'yeeeessss finallllllly, this is the moment we have been preparing for!!'
    Amazon has bulk quantities of home stuff. I wish the preppers would've bought from there instead, but oh well. I'm in the North East US, and my state announced that a few people in cities nearby have tested positive for the virus. Now everybody's extra spooked.

Pronouns
    It
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    2/0
    Mentioned
    1 time
    Time Online
    7d 17h 58m
    Avg. Time Online
    7m
    Amazon has bulk quantities of home stuff. I wish the preppers would've bought from there instead, but oh well. I'm in the North East US, and my state announced that a few people in cities nearby have tested positive for the virus. Now everybody's extra spooked.
    Ahh not good - I think out of the 1.3k people that have tested positive here 35 have died, although we still don't know if they were all 'vulnerable'.

However, the doctor that discovered this virus had just graduated school and died from being infected, so I'm curious just how serious it can be. Apparently it's in it's 'infancy' stage, where a virus will just mutate and mutate.

I can't remember how the governments acted in the past with similar circumstances because I was young during those times and I guess you just don't see anything outside of yourself at that point.

*squeak*
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    34/1
    Mentioned
    1,751 times
    Time Online
    644d 29m
    Avg. Time Online
    3h 42m
    Quote Originally Posted by Magicleaf View Post
    Ahh not good - I think out of the 1.3k people that have tested positive here 35 have died, although we still don't know if they were all 'vulnerable'.

However, the doctor that discovered this virus had just graduated school and died from being infected, so I'm curious just how serious it can be. Apparently it's in it's 'infancy' stage, where a virus will just mutate and mutate.

I can't remember how the governments acted in the past with similar circumstances because I was young during those times and I guess you just don't see anything outside of yourself at that point.
    It was my understanding that mostly older or sickly people were dying from it. Although I admit that I've been doing my best to put it out of my mind. There's a lot of sensational stories floating around, and I'd rather not get swept into the hysteria.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Bat For This Useful Post:

Babaa (03-17-2020)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    50/0
    Mentioned
    73 times
    Time Online
    92d 1h 45m
    Avg. Time Online
    1h 6m
    I'm a commuter to my non-commuter friendly university so I am mostly glad things have been moved to all online. Went grocery shopping once on Thursday. It was crazy, but everyone was nice. Haven't left the house since and not really planning on it unless I absolutely need something or my mom does. I have been sick for over a month with something else so I really don't need to add another sickness to the list.

However, I do not have much family so I admit I am worried about them. My mom is 68 and doesn't believe in doctors, so hopefully this will change her mind...
    My dad and step mom don't give a shit and believe it is all hype. My 80 year old aunt and uncle are staying in their homes. My best friend has PKD and is in stage four kidney failure and decided to go on a vacation with her boyfriend. Her family and his roomates don't want them in the house so they got a cabin. Yeesh.

I track the worldwide stats everyday, and I am curious when the world recoveries will outnumber the new infections.

Pronouns
    It
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    2/0
    Mentioned
    1 time
    Time Online
    7d 17h 58m
    Avg. Time Online
    7m
    It was my understanding that mostly older or sickly people were dying from it. Although I admit that I've been doing my best to put it out of my mind. There's a lot of sensational stories floating around, and I'd rather not get swept into the hysteria.
    I agree I was like that too, I didn't really want to read the news and get pulled into it, but going shopping really made me rethink it. I am not in a panic, but I am worried - my partner is usually the rational, logical one of us, and even he is concerned this could escalate fairly quickly.

I see stories like this one:

(you need an account to see links)

And it makes me concerned, mainly because I don't believe western cultures are equipped to deal with this sort of 'pandemic' - so the way the public is reacting is my main issue. I doubt this would happen in cases in the UK, but then, I wouldn't expect them to happen in italy either.

Pronouns
    🐸
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    24/0
    Mentioned
    54 times
    Time Online
    77d 12h 52m
    Avg. Time Online
    59m
    I'm scared tbh, I have servile health issues that make my immune system poop. I've really been avoiding going places more so now. Right now schools and business where I live are closed or changing hours. I'm just trying stay safe, my mother also has health issues.

Avatar Art By - DankRUSE , Userbar by Infected

This frog believes in you!

Pronouns
    It
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    2/0
    Mentioned
    1 time
    Time Online
    7d 17h 58m
    Avg. Time Online
    7m
    Quote Originally Posted by Bon Bon View Post
    I'm scared tbh, I have servile health issues that make my immune system poop. I've really been avoiding going places more so now. Right now schools and business where I live are closed or changing hours. I'm just trying stay safe, my mother also has health issues.
    Sorry to hear that Bon Bon it's probably wise to self isolate, hopefully you have friends or family that can help you and your mum out by getting you shopping etc? Where do you live?