Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: �What do you do during your free time in the Office?

Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    Never
    Time Online
    4h 20m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    My office is my home. But I also do not let myself get bored, I have a lot of work, I work in IT. But when I have free time, I can play online chess or go to gymnastics or pull up at the bar. I don't get bored. If I were in the office, I would have done squats and push-ups in the workplace, so as not to cheer up my back from stagnation.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    93/0
    Mentioned
    62 times
    Time Online
    25d 17h 25m
    Avg. Time Online
    9m
    Im a journeyman tradesman in the auto collision repair industry. So the time that Im not at work I spend working on either my own or clients project cars in my garage for extra $$$. I dont usually have much free time from work but when I do I browse neopets, watch movies, console games and smoke with friends.

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    5/0
    Mentioned
    184 times
    Time Online
    127d 13h 14m
    Avg. Time Online
    1h 20m
    Quote Originally Posted by Trilogy View Post
    I found myself doing nothing but trying to find what-to-do for the next week. Sadly, nothing showed up. Have you ever been in this kind of situation?
    I work as a Data Analyst for a Fortune 100 company in the United States, and there are definitely periods where I have too much free time. Fortunately, the company culture is good and nobody gets criticized for playing games in the office as long as we finish our work before the deadlines. My company is very big on personal and career development, and we're supposed to be using our free time to learn new things and advance our skills: it could be learning new programming languages/tools, improving skills we already know, taking company sponsored trainings, or working on side projects. Recently, a couple of my "side projects" have been Neopets userscripts and my new skill has been jQuery.

They encourage us to be networking too, so before the pandemic it was very standard to spend 10% of the week getting coffee with other people in the company. Occasionally, they provide health and wellness events for us like yoga or meditation in the middle of the day. I seriously love my company and we're always listed in the 'Best Companies to Work For' by Glassdoor and Fortune.

Chanel the Ryugotchi by (you need an account to see links)
    yassified-o-lantern by (you need an account to see links)
    Userbar by (you need an account to see links)

Chanel was hatched 11/15/2020

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    36/0
    Mentioned
    133 times
    Time Online
    55d 3h 58m
    Avg. Time Online
    37m
    I brought in a bunch of nerf guns, whenever we're trying to figure complex stuff out we just set up a little shooting range. it's fun and it helps us focus haha

5. The Following User Says Thank You to RealisticError For This Useful Post:

Hazem (12-01-2020)

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    58/0
    Mentioned
    120 times
    Time Online
    30d 21h 14m
    Avg. Time Online
    14m
    Quote Originally Posted by Sephora View Post

They encourage us to be networking too, so before the pandemic it was very standard to spend 10% of the week getting coffee with other people in the company. Occasionally, they provide health and wellness events for us like yoga or meditation in the middle of the day. I seriously love my company and we're always listed in the 'Best Companies to Work For' by Glassdoor and Fortune.
    My work place is a lot like this too. I miss it terribly.

lovely ub and avatar by the endlessly talented @(you need an account to see links)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to LibraryFaerie For This Useful Post:

Sephora (12-02-2020)

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    6/0
    Mentioned
    65 times
    Time Online
    24d 19h 17m
    Avg. Time Online
    21m
    I'm reading all these replies and I just feel horror at the thought of there's nothing to do but you're being watched so have to look like you're doing something. I've had a shitty experience at an office and promptly quit. I just couldn't stand faking being interested in my co-workers, feigning hard work when I've not been given a task/instructed (but already reprimanded for "lack of motivation"), sitting at a desk at an end of the room where everyone can see my screen, having lunches with people so different from me... ugh..

I'm sure there are wonderful workplaces and maybe if I got to know those people a bit closer I would have felt more at ease, maybe even made friendships. But I think my mind was just not in the right place for that at the moment, and I was expecting having to move countries soon so maybe I wasn't really open to this job. I passed my probation period but did not take the job. Even the pay, although high for the country's standards, could not force me into this routine. Figured if I ever really need money I could always tutor English online - that's something I was always good at.

My current job is at a bar and I'm seriously considering going into management. It's got everything I need. Colleagues (and myself) too tired to fake interactions. My golden boss that gives me holidays anytime I want. I've enough experience now to handle difficult situations and take responsibility, regulars that can always brighten the mood if I've got a shitty customer. The ability to kick people out if I don't like how they act. Theoretically free drinks, but I don't drink. Man, I miss my workplace so much.

So when I'm not busy at work, I talk with my colleagues/customers Or just do a bit of cleanup

Custom userbar by GreyFaerie ❦
    ~~~~