Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: �What do you do during your free time in the Office?

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    88/0
    Mentioned
    60 times
    Time Online
    73d 7h 24m
    Avg. Time Online
    50m

Post �What do you do during your free time in the Office?

Hello fellow cKers

I have been asking myself lately what I can do during my free time in the office or what do you do when you have all yours task/projects for the week/month finished.
    I'll try to put you in context I work for a management consulting firm, so from time to time we're doing some research in new areas of investment or working at a project. Sometimes, when we are not in a project we've to wait to be re-assigned or try to find an on-going project who needs support. Well, last week I was waiting for my boss to take a review on some assessments he had pending for my area (Wich he never gave an answer back because he got into a reunion with a partner and came back after the work schedule ), and I found myself doing nothing but trying to find what-to-do for the next week. Sadly, nothing showed up. Have you ever been in this kind of situation? Also, I'm not going to play Neopets during work (I'm too ashamed to be honest to even open the website) and I don't find fun anymore playing games (Like mini-soccer or 8-Ball).

In fact, I just arrived to the office and I didn't noticed my boss texted me saying that we're starting an hour later today from the schedule. Wich means I've an hour to do nothing because he has not reviewed the documents we need to progress in this project.

I personally think I'm not going against any work ethic because sometimes to progress more we need approvals.

�What do you do during your free time in the Office?

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    7/0
    Mentioned
    2 times
    Time Online
    1d 21h 10m
    Avg. Time Online
    1m
    Well, at the office, I'm always on my computer working, but I take lots of small breaks, during those breaks, I try to finish my Neopets Dailies throughout the day, play mobile games, text my friends, and also I'm usually eating snacks during this time, specially cinnamon rolls.

I have my own office, plus my computer screen are not visible for anyone who enter my office, so I kinda do whatever I want on my computer lol

But I'm not eating snacks lately, cause my best friend she is putting me on a strict diet, cause I'm gaining a bit of weight , As a matter of fact, I was arguing with her this morning (during work hours ) for like half an hour, about a lousy cinnamon roll #FreeTheCinnamonRolls , and of course she won and I didn't eat it lol

But it's a matter of time management in opinion, sometimes you just want to keep your mind away from work for few minutes and take a quick break to do other things, and as long as you are finishing all your work and tasks in time, then I don't see any ethical problem here, the only problem would be if those things are affecting your work quality negatively or make you delay your work.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    30/0
    Mentioned
    1,998 times
    Time Online
    435d 9h 54m
    Avg. Time Online
    2h 29m
    I’ve been struggling with this a lot lately. I work for the govt and there are a lot of stop work orders until upper folks can approve things. I bring up amazon cloud reader and read books, read the news, browse reddit, talk to people around me, and study for certifications to further where I’m at. You can only do that stuff for so long though. Who’d have thought I’d be complaining about having nothing to do with all the money they are paying me lol
    What's my definition of success?
    Creating something no one else can
    Being brave enough to dream big
    Grindin' when you're told to just quit
    Giving more when you got nothin' left

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    172/0
    Mentioned
    657 times
    Time Online
    182d 5h 28m
    Avg. Time Online
    1h 16m
    In previous years, when I had free time, I would work on my university studies or develop my novel. Last year, I even had an allocated period/day all to myself in a locked room, so I'd put on a show and exercise. It was great. This year though, I've been promoted to leadership and am constantly busy. My second novel is sitting on the (figurative) shelf. My uni studies are of lower priority (last unit; Ps get degrees, baby). Any time I have at work, I dedicate to putting in my best for my team.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    37/0
    Mentioned
    376 times
    Time Online
    57d 23h N/A
    Avg. Time Online
    22m
    I wish I had an office. I work in the warehouse for a large electronic company. When I did have an office job, however, I spent a lot of time on neopets and on here.

*hair toss*
    Pronouns
    She/her/hers
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    58/0
    Mentioned
    401 times
    Time Online
    82d 1h 11m
    Avg. Time Online
    47m
    I used to be in my own office, but there was rarely any downtime. I'd usually go for extended coffee breaks (we had a coffee shop on site) or read fic on my phone, since I didn't want that on my work computer / work network.

I'm in a cube now, and there are a lot more eyes on me. It's hard to be on my phone for any length of time. I'm at the beginning part of my job where no one really gives you work because you're "still learning" and they haven't quite adjusted to having another person to which to delegate work, so I have to find random stuff to do.

News.google.com, Buzzfeed News, Cracked.com, TechCrunch... it's a lot of news, lately.

I braved Neo the other day... so far it hasn't been blocked...

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    24/0
    Mentioned
    6 times
    Time Online
    11d 19h 30m
    Avg. Time Online
    4m
    Well... when i finish doing all the work for the day early i just browse reddit or see YouTube videos, and that's about it tbh

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    88/0
    Mentioned
    60 times
    Time Online
    73d 7h 24m
    Avg. Time Online
    50m
    Quote Originally Posted by samo231 View Post
    Well, at the office, I'm always on my computer working, but I take lots of small breaks, during those breaks, I try to finish my Neopets Dailies throughout the day, play mobile games, text my friends, and also I'm usually eating snacks during this time, specially cinnamon rolls.

I have my own office, plus my computer screen are not visible for anyone who enter my office, so I kinda do whatever I want on my computer lol

But I'm not eating snacks lately, cause my best friend she is putting me on a strict diet, cause I'm gaining a bit of weight , As a matter of fact, I was arguing with her this morning (during work hours ) for like half an hour, about a lousy cinnamon roll #FreeTheCinnamonRolls , and of course she won and I didn't eat it lol

But it's a matter of time management in opinion, sometimes you just want to keep your mind away from work for few minutes and take a quick break to do other things, and as long as you are finishing all your work and tasks in time, then I don't see any ethical problem here, the only problem would be if those things are affecting your work quality negatively or make you delay your work.
    That's, so nice! I have my "own" office but I shared it with a friend wich is right next to me. From time to time our boss hop in to ask some questions about the projects or if we need something. I'm trying so hard to not eat many snacks before lunch. I personally don't take any short break until lunch because I'm always try to get myself busy with work but when I don't have nothing to do in the week I walk around the office due to be sitting typing documents so many hours. I don't wanna have a health problem in a long term .

---------- Post added at 09:27 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:23 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by I_royalty_I View Post
    I’ve been struggling with this a lot lately. I work for the govt and there are a lot of stop work orders until upper folks can approve things. I bring up amazon cloud reader and read books, read the news, browse reddit, talk to people around me, and study for certifications to further where I’m at. You can only do that stuff for so long though. Who’d have thought I’d be complaining about having nothing to do with all the money they are paying me lol
    I have been reading a lot of news lately about the growing concern about the Covid-19. I don't find any good subreddit to make me spend time on it. To be honest, I don't use reddit at all and I don't even know what is about (I feel like an old man) but I do use twitter a lot. I know right? Who would though the more they pay you the less you've to do lol

---------- Post added at 09:32 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:27 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Mama Bear View Post
    In previous years, when I had free time, I would work on my university studies or develop my novel. Last year, I even had an allocated period/day all to myself in a locked room, so I'd put on a show and exercise. It was great. This year though, I've been promoted to leadership and am constantly busy. My second novel is sitting on the (figurative) shelf. My uni studies are of lower priority (last unit; Ps get degrees, baby). Any time I have at work, I dedicate to putting in my best for my team.
    Maybe someday your second novel will see the lights at the end of the shelf? Sounds like you're busy most part of the time, I'd be too if I had a leadership position I think. I've been on a leadership position with a team I assembled during a past project but it's already over so i'm back where I belong (At this desk waiting for approvals and nothing but free time)

---------- Post added at 09:34 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:32 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Misha View Post
    I wish I had an office. I work in the warehouse for a large electronic company. When I did have an office job, however, I spent a lot of time on neopets and on here.
    I'm so ashamed to even open the "kids" website at my computer .

---------- Post added at 09:46 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:34 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Flordibel View Post
    I used to be in my own office, but there was rarely any downtime. I'd usually go for extended coffee breaks (we had a coffee shop on site) or read fic on my phone, since I didn't want that on my work computer / work network.

I'm in a cube now, and there are a lot more eyes on me. It's hard to be on my phone for any length of time. I'm at the beginning part of my job where no one really gives you work because you're "still learning" and they haven't quite adjusted to having another person to which to delegate work, so I have to find random stuff to do.

News.google.com, Buzzfeed News, Cracked.com, TechCrunch... it's a lot of news, lately.

I braved Neo the other day... so far it hasn't been blocked...
    We do have a coffee shop near to building but sometimes it takes too long to get the elevator down to first floor just to cross the street to coffee. I mean, we do have permission to go out if we need but due to work ethic I think most people won't do it because it takes so much time to go all the way down to grab some coffee. Would you believe that when I was "still learning" at this job I had more stuff to do due to a huge list of tasks that I needed to accomplish before a end date, so they would review my performance during that time. Ever since I was hired not anymore due we've wait for many circumstances to happen for a project to start. I'm happy when they send me out to have meeting with clients and talk about the project itself because at least I'm out the office.

I'm sorry for many late reply's to this post. A hours after I wrote this post many approvals I was waiting for were giving green light to proceed so I'm back on business!

Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 time
    Time Online
    4d 10h 43m
    Avg. Time Online
    4m
    During my free time, I usually look at social media or read the news.
    It kinda helps me from my anxiety problems lol

Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    Never
    Time Online
    8h 7m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    At my free time I am still working I guess it is about whether you love what you are doing or not. At the moment my colleague and I are thinking about security of our office videoconferencing because we used to have Zoom for that purpose but it turned out that this service is not safe to use and recently it has had a lot of data breaches. Surprisingly but even in 2020 there are not as many alternatives as I wanted to. at the moment we are thinking about switching to Voximplant (you need an account to see links).
    Last edited by Okland; 07-06-2020 at 05:12 PM. Reason: additional info