DL/UL
    26/0
    Mentioned
    8 times
    Time Online
    3d 17h 44m
    Avg. Time Online
    1m
    A bit long, but gorgeously written, Stephen King's Duma Key is a great read. Got shivers reading it. Guy essentially loses his arm in a construction accident and moves to Florida to get away for a while and recover, only, weird things start happening. You'll have to read it to know what I mean ;P

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    7/0
    Mentioned
    Never
    Time Online
    7h 19m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    I know I'm super biased, but I still think Drunkard's Walk is some good stuff that everyone should give a try. It does a great job in advovacating the beauty of probability and statistics, and it's super fun if you're into science (or biographies). Of course Mlodinow will not give you a lesson on how to use p values, but you can expect much history of mathematics, psycology and neuroscience well written and documented (with lots of references).

Another great book about probability (contextualized in short real stories) is Math on Trial: How Numbers Get Used and Abused in the Courtroom.

And I'm currently reading that popular one, Fermat's Last Theorem by Simon Singh. Great investigative work and really interesting book about Number Theory.

I also want to try some Carl Sagan, did anyone read something from him? I heard great reviews on The Demon-Haunted World.

Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 times
    Time Online
    16h N/A
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    Currently on book 8 of 9 of Naomi Novik's Temeraire series. It's basically a historical drama with a twist set during the Napoleonic wars and centers on Captain William Lawrence. The twist is that most of the nations have an aerial corps consisting of dragons.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    27/0
    Mentioned
    2 times
    Time Online
    8d 6h 41m
    Avg. Time Online
    6m
    1984 by Orwell, one of my favourites and also describing a situation kinda similar to our coronavirus situation.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    28/0
    Mentioned
    3 times
    Time Online
    18h 20m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    The Road is a good one with a movie on Youtube if you want to watch too. Post apocalyptic world with a man and his son, no spoilers.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    15/0
    Mentioned
    6 times
    Time Online
    6d 2h 46m
    Avg. Time Online
    6m
    Am currently reading Funny Weather: Art in an Emergency by Olivia Laing. It is really apropos for our current circumstances. Loved her previous book of essays too, The Lonely City: Adventures in the Art of Being Alone.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    37/0
    Mentioned
    11 times
    Time Online
    9d 17h 30m
    Avg. Time Online
    6m
    Just this last month I read like 5 books since I'm not at work, anyways, here are some recommendations-

The Bell Jar, a novel by Sylvia Plath
    Sylvia Plath's realistic, and intensely emotional novel about a woman falling into the grip of insanity.

Veronika Decides to Die, a novel by Paulo Coelho
    The author of The Alchemist addresses the fundamental questions asked by millions: What am I doing here today? and Why do I go on living? A quick read.

Brief Answers to the Big Questions by Stephen Hawking
    Stephen Hawking was recognized as one of the greatest minds of our time and a figure of inspiration after defying his ALS diagnosis at age twenty-one. He is known for both his breakthroughs in theoretical physics as well as his ability to make complex concepts accessible for all, and was beloved for his mischievous sense of humor. Within these pages, he provides his personal views on our biggest challenges as a human race.

The Unbearable Lightness of Being, a novel by Milan Kundera
    Best for last, Milan Kundera is my favorite author. Milan Kundera tells the story of a young woman in love with a man torn between his love for her and his incorrigible womanizing and one of his mistresses and her humbly faithful lover.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    15/0
    Mentioned
    14 times
    Time Online
    3d 1h 46m
    Avg. Time Online
    1m
    Recently re-read an old favorite of mine: Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe, by Benjamin Alire S�enz. This book made me cry in an ice cream shop. Very good read.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    1/0
    Mentioned
    9 times
    Time Online
    27d 7h 35m
    Avg. Time Online
    17m
    Late night rec: 'The Nickel Boys' by Colson Whitehead won the Pulitzer Prize for fiction this past Monday and I cannot recommend it enough. A tough read based on a real life reform school in Florida and the nightmares that occurred there.

Also, just finished up 'All Who Go Do Not Return' by Shulem Deen. I don't read many memoirs but I was moved by it.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    18/0
    Mentioned
    32 times
    Time Online
    12d 1h 22m
    Avg. Time Online
    12m
    21 lessons for the 21st century, Yuval Noah Harari.

It's a great book with an excellent vision for the future. Gave me several brainstorms while reading.