Mentioned
    505 times
    Time Online
    222d 5h 8m
    Avg. Time Online
    1h 55m

Wuthering Heights

Wuthering Heights (1939 film)

I love Wuthering Heights so much, I decided to make a board about it.

This book was published in 1847. It's a dramatic romance written by Emily Bronte and have some gothic fiction elements (which I'm particularly fond of).

It starts with a young men visiting a gentleman named Heathcliff (<3).
    That men have a vision/nightmare of a ghost named Catherine begging to enter through the window. When he tells Heathcliff about his vision, he tells the young men his story...

It's hard to talk about this book without giving a spoiler, since there are many things going on.
    The fact is that Wuthering Heights is a classic, had a great influence in pop culture and it's a book I'll always recommend!
    Have you ever read it?

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Menine For This Useful Post:

Fabulous (02-13-2020),j03 (02-13-2020),♥ lagrima ♥ (02-15-2020),MKM (03-16-2020),soleil (02-13-2020)

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    7/0
    Mentioned
    16 times
    Time Online
    14d 5h 23m
    Avg. Time Online
    5m
    Can�t believe I�ve never read this. I�ve been working through some classics but haven�t picked this one up yet. Love the review!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. The Following User Says Thank You to soleil For This Useful Post:

Menine (02-13-2020)

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    6/0
    Mentioned
    339 times
    Time Online
    79d 6h 33m
    Avg. Time Online
    1h 7m
    Heathcliff was my first - of many - literary crushes and probably the source of my ongoing fascination with dark angsty jerkoffs

I haven't ever watched a film interpretation of WH - kind of curious, kind of want to keep my own images in my head. (I was disappointed in the 2 Jane Eyre adaptations I watched)

Narratively it is super interesting (and novel at the time Bronte was writing) to have these multiple framing narratives. If memory serves Heathcliff is the only character without a POV chapter? Which keeps him so closed off and mysterious.

And - just to add to my rambling thoughts - I love that it was so wild and passionate a work that when it was first published it was thought that "Ellis Bell" (her pseudonym) was absolutely definitely a man and not a frail young lady whose main pursuits were piano and learning German

Emily Bronte died at age 30. She wrote one phenomenal novel and it's tragic, honestly, that she was never able to produce more. RIP
    Last edited by Fabulous; 02-13-2020 at 10:48 PM.

you know when someone asks "why are you so dressed up"
    and you have to literally explain to them that this is who you are

asking the important questions

thanks @extraterrestrial for capturing my essence

anyway here's my petpet

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Fabulous For This Useful Post:

bootiesrus (02-15-2020),Menine (02-13-2020),soleil (02-13-2020)

Pronouns
    she
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    95/0
    Mentioned
    505 times
    Time Online
    222d 5h 8m
    Avg. Time Online
    1h 55m
    Quote Originally Posted by Fabulous View Post
    Heathcliff was my first - of many - literary crushes and probably the source of my ongoing fascination with dark angsty jerkoffs

I haven't ever watched a film interpretation of WH - kind of curious, kind of want to keep my own images in my head. (I was disappointed in the 2 Jane Eyre adaptations I watched)

Narratively it is super interesting (and novel at the time Bronte was writing) to have these multiple framing narratives. If memory serves Heathcliff is the only character without a POV chapter? Which keeps him so closed off and mysterious.

And - just to add to my rambling thoughts - I love that it was so wild and passionate a work that when it was first published it was thought that "Ellis Bell" (her pseudonym) was absolutely definitely a man and not a frail young lady whose main pursuits were piano and learning German

Emily Bronte died at age 30. She wrote one phenomenal novel and it's tragic, honestly, that she was never able to produce more. RIP
    I agree with the dark angsty jerkoff crush thing, I love that personality soooo much. It's so mysterious and seductive, but it's so toxic at the same time. It would be lame in real life, but Heathcliff is still one of my literary husbandos. (if you are into MBTI, he is an Intj, which explains a bit about his personality).

I watched the 1939 movie, and sadly it is not an accurate adaptation, it literally cuts half of the book, but I still like the half of the story it shows. It's a good movie, but don't expect it to be loyal to the book.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Menine For This Useful Post:

Fabulous (02-13-2020)

overthink.exe
    Pronouns
    she/they
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    40/0
    Mentioned
    1,155 times
    Time Online
    550d 23h 7m
    Avg. Time Online
    3h 26m
    I had to read it for school and I hated it. Maybe I'd feel differently if I wasn't forced to read it, but the story wasn't that compelling to me and none of the characters were likeable. Bless Kate Bush forever, though.

thanks stardust for base Thanks Sugarbee Thanks Wooloo
    Kyo (Nov 13 2020)

thanks honeycomb
    and hearts! <3
    +Zenitsu

THANK YOU FAB

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    6/0
    Mentioned
    64 times
    Time Online
    36d 19h 21m
    Avg. Time Online
    31m
    Whoa I just started reading this, what a coincidence. Totally going in blind because that's my favorite way to read XD