Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How are there ZERO posts in books?

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    13/0
    Mentioned
    4 times
    Time Online
    3d 6h 31m
    Avg. Time Online
    2m
    Quote Originally Posted by Ahsoka View Post
    I don't do much reading and want to change that.

Anyone got any good fiction or sci-fi to recommend?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dracarys View Post
    I am a sci-fi fanatic haha. These are mostly old books, but here's some of what I've read and enjoyed:

The foundation series, Hitchhikers guide to the galaxy, Neuromancer, Brave new world, Do androids dream of electric sheep?, 2001: A space odyssey, Childhood's end, Roadside Picnic, Starship Troopers, Contact, Cat's Cradle, Slaughterhouse Five, Flowers for Algernon (super sad but great), Old Man's World, the forever war.

Sci-fi I didn't like that much personally but are highly rated: Stranger in a strange world, the dispossessed, Dune, Hyperion cantos.
    See I loved Dune and Stranger in a Strange World. Another Robert A. Heinlen book I enjoyed was The Moon is a Harsh Mistress, and you may have to pick through them because the set has many different authors, but there are many wonderful Star Wars books, which, as fan of the movies, filled the gaps of time between them in the Star Wars universe. Contact is fantastic, as is Brave New World!

Stranger in a Strange World is what I started with back in the day, and it's what got me interested in Sci-Fi. It's a light read compared to say, Dune, and I highly recommend it, along with the many, many Star Wars books.

On another note, has anyone read Infinite Jest by David Foster Wallace? It's a hefty read that I'm soon going to attempt to tackle.
    Last edited by Dr. Acula; 02-15-2020 at 06:30 PM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Dr. Acula For This Useful Post:

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    50/0
    Mentioned
    73 times
    Time Online
    92d 1h 45m
    Avg. Time Online
    1h 6m
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Acula View Post
    See I loved Dune and Stranger in a Strange World. Another Robert A. Heinlen book I enjoyed was The Moon is a Harsh Mistress, and you may have to pick through them because the set has many different authors, but there are many wonderful Star Wars books, which, as fan of the movies, filled the gaps of time between them in the Star Wars universe. Contact is fantastic, as is Brave New World!

Stranger in a Strange World is what I started with back in the day, and it's what got me interested in Sci-Fi. It's a light read compared to say, Dune, and I highly recommend it, along with the many, many Star Wars books.

On another note, has anyone read Infinite Jest by David Foster Wallace? It's a hefty read that I'm soon going to attempt to tackle.
    The Moon is a Harsh Mistress is another book I didn't like much but it is very well liked in general. Worth a read for any sci-fi fan. Star Wars ones are great.

I have read Infinite Jest, it was interesting. Just make sure you have enough time to take it all in. Footnotes galore!

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    13/0
    Mentioned
    4 times
    Time Online
    3d 6h 31m
    Avg. Time Online
    2m
    Quote Originally Posted by Dracarys View Post
    The Moon is a Harsh Mistress is another book I didn't like much but it is very well liked in general. Worth a read for any sci-fi fan. Star Wars ones are great.

I have read Infinite Jest, it was interesting. Just make sure you have enough time to take it all in. Footnotes galore!
    Yeah, I'm thinking it'll be a "read in short bursts" kinda book, but I'm excited to behold Wallace's deep vocabulary.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    60/2
    Mentioned
    91 times
    Time Online
    31d 8h 56m
    Avg. Time Online
    10m
    I've been reading the Drizzt series within the Forgotten Realms series and setting. Because D&D.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    8/0
    Mentioned
    7 times
    Time Online
    11d 13h 44m
    Avg. Time Online
    10m
    Quote Originally Posted by soleil View Post
    Is French your first language?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yes it is!

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    7/0
    Mentioned
    16 times
    Time Online
    14d 5h 23m
    Avg. Time Online
    5m
    Quote Originally Posted by cute can kill View Post
    Yes it is!
    Le fran�ais n�est pas ma langue maternelle mais j�aime bien la litt�rature fran�aise aussi ! Tu aimerais peut-�tre The Great Gatsby de Fitzgerald ou quelque chose de Hemingway? Hemingway a pass� �norm�ment du temps � Paris, tu le savais? J�ai lu The Old Man and the Sea il y a deux ans et le langage est assez directe - pas beaucoup de langage figuratif ou inaccessible pour un apprenant. Et il y a toujours Harry Potter hehe courage xx

8. The Following User Says Thank You to soleil For This Useful Post:

cute can kill (02-17-2020)

*hair toss*
    Pronouns
    She/her/hers
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    58/0
    Mentioned
    401 times
    Time Online
    82d 1h 11m
    Avg. Time Online
    47m
    I just read "Red Rising," and it was awesome!

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    1/0
    Mentioned
    79 times
    Time Online
    31d 9h 52m
    Avg. Time Online
    26m
    Quote Originally Posted by PrettySarcastic View Post
    Fiction is such a H-UUUUUUU-GE genre.

What do you like to read? Can you give examples of books you've read before and enjoyed?

As far as Sci-Fi goes, I can't speak to the novels (yet), but The Expanse on Amazon Prime is based on a series of novels and it is AMAZING. I have heard the novels it is based on are just as good. They are on my to-read list. It's a series and it's nearly finished.

They are by James S. Corey.

Courtesy of Wikipedia:

I'm going to move on to Leviathan Wakes, but right now I'm in the middle of reading The Witcher novels, which are ALSO amazing, by the way. Strongly recommend if you like fantasy.
    Damn thanks for this recommendation!

Quote Originally Posted by cute can kill View Post
    Yes it is!
    Oh, tu parles fran�ais! Moi aussi!

Quote Originally Posted by soleil View Post
    Le fran�ais n’est pas ma langue maternelle mais j’aime bien la litt�rature fran�aise aussi ! Tu aimerais peut-�tre The Great Gatsby de Fitzgerald ou quelque chose de Hemingway? Hemingway a pass� �norm�ment du temps � Paris, tu le savais? J’ai lu The Old Man and the Sea il y a deux ans et le langage est assez directe - pas beaucoup de langage figuratif ou inaccessible pour un apprenant. Et il y a toujours Harry Potter hehe courage xx

Wow tu �cris bien! Bravo lovelove

My recommendations
    I really love Jules Verne's Voyage au centre de la Terre (Journey to the Center of the Earth), Tour du monde en quatre-vingts jours (Around the World in Eighty Days) are my favorites!
    I also recommend Amelie Nothomb Hygi�ne de l'assassin (Hygiene and the Assassin) & Mercure
    Markus Zusak The Book Thief
    Steven Gould Jumper

Will maybe edit my post if I remember other recommendations.

Healers - Defenders of cK

Signature sticker by @(you need an account to see links)

Gif by @xmilo

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lolaloveloki For This Useful Post:

cute can kill (02-17-2020),♥ PrettySarcastic ♥ (02-16-2020)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    6/0
    Mentioned
    7 times
    Time Online
    18d 5h 46m
    Avg. Time Online
    14m
    Love that there's a book section now! <3 Just finished The Chanur Saga and am looking for recommendations along the same lines...

Anybody have any sci-fi/fantasy recommendations that feature other planets run by non-great ape descendants? Also, books about first contact that aren't super serious (are there any funny books about first contact you can recommend?), because I could use the humor...

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    97/0
    Mentioned
    36 times
    Time Online
    4d 7h 37m
    Avg. Time Online
    1m
    I just read "Red Rising," and it was awesome!

It's such a great book! What did you enjoy the most?

---------- Post added at 02:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:21 PM ----------

Anybody have any sci-fi/fantasy recommendations that feature other planets run by non-great ape descendants? Also, books about first contact that aren't super serious (are there any funny books about first contact you can recommend?), because I could use the humor...

Well Douglas Adams with 'The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy' is the first person that comes to mind when you combine sci-fi with humor.