Mentioned
    2 times
    Time Online
    1d 21h 10m
    Avg. Time Online
    1m

Question The Future of Neopets?

Hi

I recently got back to neopets after so many years, and that brought back so many memories and it reminded me with the simple days when my biggest problems were trying to avoid eating my vegetables and I just got hooked to the game again.

But I saw many things that are not promising for the future of neopets, for example, I saw many missing thumbnails and images and random errors and problems everywhere and it doesn't seem that the website's team care to fix those issues, also many deleted games and amazing games that are not supported anymore, and I see that the website is basically shrinking when it comes to its content and its new content.

The website is not in its best condition, plus the flash player end of support by adobe and most of the browsers, which most of the games and website features rely on it, and many other problems that the website have, not mentioning the new Chinese owners and what are their plans for the game?

I saw a glimpse of hope when it was announced that neopets will be available on mobile phones at the summer of 2019, but that didn't happened, so I was just wondering what are you guys thinking about the future of Neopets? What are the new plans for the site? Do you think that it can survive? Or do you think the end of neopets is near? And what neopets team and owners need to do for the website to survive? I just love this game, and it will break my heart to see it go away.

P.S.: I'm sorry if I made any spelling or grammar errors or I didn't use the right terms or phrases, as English is not my first language, but I tried to make everything clear as much as I can. Thanks.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to samo231 For This Useful Post:

Pronouns
    She/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    4/0
    Mentioned
    28 times
    Time Online
    201d 3h 27m
    Avg. Time Online
    2h 21m
    For the record I understood you just fine. As for the future of neo, I think it really needs to bring that mobile site ASAP. I feel like a big chunk of us are on mobile nowadays for most of the time.

Also I am on Nc chat a lot and I notice there is still a huge amount of players who spend money on Nc. So that’s gotta be a win for neo.

And with the new tv show announced... I don’t know. I think it could attract a lot of new players to the site! But not sure if that’s good or not to be honest.

Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    61 times
    Time Online
    12d 21h 7m
    Avg. Time Online
    5m
    (you need an account to see links)

They do have plans to be rolling out mobile in this year for sure.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Boob For This Useful Post:

My name is Yoshikage Kira (04-13-2020),Sakuras (02-13-2020)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    7/0
    Mentioned
    2 times
    Time Online
    1d 21h 10m
    Avg. Time Online
    1m
    Quote Originally Posted by corazon View Post
    For the record I understood you just fine. As for the future of neo, I think it really needs to bring that mobile site ASAP. I feel like a big chunk of us are on mobile nowadays for most of the time.

Also I am on Nc chat a lot and I notice there is still a huge amount of players who spend money on Nc. So that�s gotta be a win for neo.

And with the new tv show announced... I don�t know. I think it could attract a lot of new players to the site! But not sure if that�s good or not to be honest.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boob View Post
    (you need an account to see links)

They do have plans to be rolling out mobile in this year for sure.

That is what I mean, most of us are on our phones, and we might not have access to a computer all day, we could be at work or outside, etc..., so I think focusing of developing Neopets for mobile is their only way out.

But I'm not sure if that is possible for such an app to exist as they claim in that article? I'm not an expert, but I don't think they can develop an app that can run all those games and site features, so they will need to make individual apps to run each game, but I think developing such apps will cost millions of dollars, and I'm not sure if the owners are willing to pay that amount of money?

We saw (you need an account to see links) doing that by making apps for their most popular games and it was actually a success and it brought back the company to the top.

It costs a lot of money to keep Neopets alive; they need to pay for their staff and developers, office rents, servers, taxes, etc..., above that, they need to make a decent profit to please the owners, and I'm not sure that the NC mall can provide all this?

But to be honest, I don't think that TNT will keep their promises about the mobile app, they said that before and all we got is only 2 games that are full of bugs and glitches, I just feel that they are giving up on the site, and they are just trying to drain all the money they can get from it before it falls down, at least that is my opinion.

Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    61 times
    Time Online
    12d 21h 7m
    Avg. Time Online
    5m
    Quote Originally Posted by samo231 View Post
    That is what I mean, most of us are on our phones, and we might not have access to a computer all day, we could be at work or outside, etc..., so I think focusing of developing Neopets for mobile is their only way out.

But I'm not sure if that is possible for such an app to exist as they claim in that article? I'm not an expert, but I don't think they can develop an app that can run all those games and site features, so they will need to make individual apps to run each game, but I think developing such apps will cost millions of dollars, and I'm not sure if the owners are willing to pay that amount of money?

We saw (you need an account to see links) doing that by making apps for their most popular games and it was actually a success and it brought back the company to the top.

It costs a lot of money to keep Neopets alive; they need to pay for their staff and developers, office rents, servers, taxes, etc..., above that, they need to make a decent profit to please the owners, and I'm not sure that the NC mall can provide all this?

But to be honest, I don't think that TNT will keep their promises about the mobile app, they said that before and all we got is only 2 games that are full of bugs and glitches, I just feel that they are giving up on the site, and they are just trying to drain all the money they can get from it before it falls down, at least that is my opinion.
    > Lord went on to say that the project will be a “Progressive Web App,” meaning it won’t be an out-right app from the get-go. Excitingly, she announced the team is “set to launch beta in the next couple months.” Hooray!

They are not building an app, they are building a progressive web app. They are not the same thing. They are making a mobile version of the site that will work on phones' browsers. They will work like AAA's Revenge (which is mobile friendly). I don't think converting these games to HTML5 will cost millions. A few hundred thousand dollars, easily, but not millions. Specially because there are programs out there that help convert from flash to HTML5.

And it really probably doesn't cost as much to keep neopets alive as much as you think. They have adsense, the NC mall and premium. It does add up after awhile. Plus, a lot of it is outsourced already. Like to foreign places that they can pay dirt cheap to get things going.

They are not going to be investing money into converting it to mobile friendly because they know that is costing them money. Why else would they have started converting maps to HTML5 if they want to kill the site? They are not making an other app at all. They are making a mobile version of the site.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Boob For This Useful Post:

Sakuras (02-17-2020)

Pronouns
    She/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    4/0
    Mentioned
    28 times
    Time Online
    201d 3h 27m
    Avg. Time Online
    2h 21m
    I can imagine not being able to convert everything but at least the areas where users tend to frequent more. Which I’m sure they are able to determine easily. For me in particular, I’d like to be able to customize my pets. That is my main concern. And then being able to click places like the neolodge, the pound etc without hacking to google the link specifically.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    7/0
    Mentioned
    2 times
    Time Online
    1d 21h 10m
    Avg. Time Online
    1m
    Quote Originally Posted by Boob View Post
    > Lord went on to say that the project will be a �Progressive Web App,� meaning it won�t be an out-right app from the get-go. Excitingly, she announced the team is �set to launch beta in the next couple months.� Hooray!

They are not building an app, they are building a progressive web app. They are not the same thing. They are making a mobile version of the site that will work on phones' browsers. They will work like AAA's Revenge (which is mobile friendly). I don't think converting these games to HTML5 will cost millions. A few hundred thousand dollars, easily, but not millions. Specially because there are programs out there that help convert from flash to HTML5.

And it really probably doesn't cost as much to keep neopets alive as much as you think. They have adsense, the NC mall and premium. It does add up after awhile. Plus, a lot of it is outsourced already. Like to foreign places that they can pay dirt cheap to get things going.

They are not going to be investing money into converting it to mobile friendly because they know that is costing them money. Why else would they have started converting maps to HTML5 if they want to kill the site? They are not making an other app at all. They are making a mobile version of the site.

I would imagine that would work with many site features, specially the dailies, But I think that it would be very difficult to convert the games, specially that those games are made to be controlled with keyboard and mouse, so I think they will need to redesign the game itself to support touch screens.

But I would really love to be able to do my dailies on my tablet, like managing my stocks and my shop, playing the wheels, Trudy's Surprise, etc..., that would definitely give the website a boost, and I really hope that they would be able to do that at least at the beginning, cause I know that the games will be a pain in the butt to convert, if it was that easy we would see sites like (you need an account to see links) and (you need an account to see links) do that.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    13/0
    Mentioned
    4 times
    Time Online
    3d 6h 31m
    Avg. Time Online
    2m
    I too just recently returned. Some the first things I noticed were things like the trading post, and just how little activity there is there. You can hit newest 20 after scrolling to the bottom, only to find 2-3 new lots, the rest being the ones you already looked at. Also, neoboards show a decrease in users, specifically the BD chat, which leads me to, what I think, is one of the biggest issues.. the state of the BD. It's trash. I remember years ago, when I last played, users were practically begging TNT to fix the BD. That's still happening, and from what I remember, the BD hasn't changed at all. For players, like me, who focused primarily on training and obtaining better and better weapons to beat opponents who become harder after defeating, have or had lost hope, and a general interest overall, that things would return to the way they were.

I can confidently say that user activity would increase tenfold if they fixed the BD and implemented wars after doing so. Beating an opponent that never gets harder is about as boring as whale shit. It's mindless garbage with no challenge, but because NC has become their bread and butter, it's all they seem to focus on. All other content is lazy at best. I would imagine that fixing the BD and increasing user activity would bring in even more NC sales, but maybe they just don't care..

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Dr. Acula For This Useful Post:

Erik. (04-13-2020)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    2/0
    Mentioned
    18 times
    Time Online
    2d 10h 58m
    Avg. Time Online
    1m
    Talking of the BD DoN still not fixed. I think if they're not going to fix things they should just delete them.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to user123 For This Useful Post:

logansaba (04-13-2020)