Uploads
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Time Online
    18 d 11 h 38 m
    Avg. Time Online
    11 m

Question Buying Affordable Laptop! {Specific}

Alright peeps, I really need your help here.

My laptop is dying and I think I really need to just buy a new one at this point. I have an Acer Aspire V3-551 that runs Windows 7.
    Now I HATE change. I love this laptop. My dad bought it for me in 2012 for college and I've been using it ever since. It's kinda heavy, overheats easily, and I've replaced its battery three times. I've also had it repaired once (the hinges broke, so they essentially just put epoxy in there lol). It's a dirty old thing and I hate to upgrade but I think it's really about time.
    It can hardly handle shit anymore and will just shut off if I have too many tabs open or if I'm streaming anything really.

What I'm looking for:
    -Preferably something not as heavy / more lightweight
    -Something that can handle online gaming a bit better (I don't need a gaming laptop necessarily, just something that won't shut off if I attempt to play something online)~ I need a laptop that will be able to run the upcoming "Book of Travels" game on Steam which I just backed in the Kickstarter
    -Also something that can handle making Animashes/AMVs/etc; I used to make them all the time and upload to Youtube but I don't think my current laptop can handle such a process anymore, nor do I have the space really to download/burn movies to it
    -Preferably still able to run Windows 7 because I fucking hate Windows 10 with a burning passion
    -PC NOT A MAC--I HATE THEM WITH A BURNING PASSION
    -Ideally something that doesn't feel like a big change from what I already have, if that makes sense (I hate change)
    -$300 or under (I cannot afford anything more, I understand this is a stretch for a decent laptop but it's all I can do)

Basically looking for something that isn't too much of a jump from what I already have, but will last me another 5 years or so, and won't randomly shut off on me when I try to do things.

Anyone good with tech and know what I'm essentially looking for??
    Last edited by Crow; 1 Week Ago at 05:10 PM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Crow For This Useful Post:

Mama Bear (1 Week Ago)

Katie

Australia
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,495 Times in 1,754 Posts

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    542 Post(s)
    Time Online
    152 d 8 h 17 m
    Avg. Time Online
    1 h 52 m
    Quote Originally Posted by Crow View Post
    -Preferably still able to run Windows 7 because I fucking hate Windows 10 with a burning passion
    I appreciate your passion, particularly around the Mac thing <3
    Regarding the OS though, you're better off getting W10 and customising it to look and feel more like W7. I was in the exact same boat when I transitioned, and I still don't like the way W10's start menu works, but I've had to get used to it at work. https://www.howtogeek.com/277448/how...ike-windows-7/ <- you can minimise the change though, and W10 will give you greater access to current (and future) programs.

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mama Bear For This Useful Post:

Ahsoka (1 Week Ago),Crow (1 Week Ago),Fabulous (1 Week Ago),Maelstra (1 Week Ago)

Calgary, AB
    Thanks

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Time Online
    12 d 13 h 11 m
    Avg. Time Online
    8 m
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Effektivv
    Quote Originally Posted by Crow View Post
    Alright peeps, I really need your help here.

My laptop is dying and I think I really need to just buy a new one at this point. I have an Acer Aspire V3-551 that runs Windows 7.
    Now I HATE change. I love this laptop. My dad bought it for me in 2012 for college and I've been using it ever since. It's kinda heavy, overheats easily, and I've replaced its battery three times. I've also had it repaired once (the hinges broke, so they essentially just put epoxy in there lol). It's a dirty old thing and I hate to upgrade but I think it's really about time.
    It can hardly handle shit anymore and will just shut off if I have too many tabs open or if I'm streaming anything really.

What I'm looking for:
    -Preferably something not as heavy / more lightweight
    -Something that can handle online gaming a bit better (I don't need a gaming laptop necessarily, just something that won't shut off if I attempt to play something online)~ I need a laptop that will be able to run the upcoming "Book of Travels" game on Steam which I just backed in the Kickstarter
    -Also something that can handle making Animashes/AMVs/etc; I used to make them all the time and upload to Youtube but I don't think my current laptop can handle such a process anymore, nor do I have the space really to download/burn movies to it
    -Ideally something that doesn't feel like a big change from what I already have, if that makes sense (I hate change)
    -$300 or under (I cannot afford anything more, I understand this is a stretch for a decent laptop but it's all I can do)

Basically looking for something that isn't too much of a jump from what I already have, but will last me another 5 years or so, and won't randomly shut off on me when I try to do things.

Anyone good with tech and know what I'm essentially looking for??
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...6d797bcd1c7823

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...8057121787f08c

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Effektivv For This Useful Post:

Crow (1 Week Ago)

Thanks

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Time Online
    2 h 9 m
    Avg. Time Online
    11 m
    It sounds like what would be best for you is a used laptop. Especially since you mentioned you would prefer a machine with an older OS and that you'd like decent performance on a budget. Look for something with at least an i3 processor and a decently sized (>= 256 G.B.) SSD with a minimum of 4GB of RAM.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to booble For This Useful Post:

Ahsoka (1 Week Ago)

Lothal
    Thanks

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Time Online
    32 d 44 m
    Avg. Time Online
    43 m
    Gamer IDs

Steam ID: Ask in PMs. I don't make my info public.
    There's some pretty cheap laptops out there. When I needed a PC at my brokest and ol reliable crapped out on me I got one for about $20 on ebay.

It was not fast, glorious and barely ran runescape but it was better than nothing. I could still play neopets and key quest, along with other browser games (tells you how long ago this was) without any issues. I could also run programs from cheat sites like this one without any issue. (I DID have to upgrade it to win 7 as it was XP at the time I got it.)

I could also run really low end steam games like cave story and organ trail.

United States
    Thanks

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Time Online
    75 d 18 h 28 m
    Avg. Time Online
    40 m
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: PM me for it
    If you're in the market for something used I recommend ebay. I got my i7 4gb laptop on there for $125 a couple months back.