5/0
    Mentioned
    66 times
    Time Online
    23d 11h 37m
    Avg. Time Online
    8m

Question Buying Affordable Laptop! {Specific}

Alright peeps, I really need your help here.

My laptop is dying and I think I really need to just buy a new one at this point. I have an Acer Aspire V3-551 that runs Windows 7.
    Now I HATE change. I love this laptop. My dad bought it for me in 2012 for college and I've been using it ever since. It's kinda heavy, overheats easily, and I've replaced its battery three times. I've also had it repaired once (the hinges broke, so they essentially just put epoxy in there lol). It's a dirty old thing and I hate to upgrade but I think it's really about time.
    It can hardly handle shit anymore and will just shut off if I have too many tabs open or if I'm streaming anything really.

What I'm looking for:
    -Preferably something not as heavy / more lightweight
    -Something that can handle online gaming a bit better (I don't need a gaming laptop necessarily, just something that won't shut off if I attempt to play something online)~ I need a laptop that will be able to run the upcoming "Book of Travels" game on Steam which I just backed in the Kickstarter
    -Also something that can handle making Animashes/AMVs/etc; I used to make them all the time and upload to Youtube but I don't think my current laptop can handle such a process anymore, nor do I have the space really to download/burn movies to it
    -Preferably still able to run Windows 7 because I fucking hate Windows 10 with a burning passion
    -PC NOT A MAC--I HATE THEM WITH A BURNING PASSION
    -Ideally something that doesn't feel like a big change from what I already have, if that makes sense (I hate change)
    -$300 or under (I cannot afford anything more, I understand this is a stretch for a decent laptop but it's all I can do)

Basically looking for something that isn't too much of a jump from what I already have, but will last me another 5 years or so, and won't randomly shut off on me when I try to do things.

Anyone good with tech and know what I'm essentially looking for??
    Last edited by Crow; 02-07-2020 at 05:10 PM.

^^ Thanks to Menine for the icon & Gremlin for this userbar!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Crow For This Useful Post:

Mama Bear (02-07-2020)

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    172/0
    Mentioned
    657 times
    Time Online
    182d 5h 28m
    Avg. Time Online
    1h 15m
    Quote Originally Posted by Crow View Post
    -Preferably still able to run Windows 7 because I fucking hate Windows 10 with a burning passion
    I appreciate your passion, particularly around the Mac thing <3
    Regarding the OS though, you're better off getting W10 and customising it to look and feel more like W7. I was in the exact same boat when I transitioned, and I still don't like the way W10's start menu works, but I've had to get used to it at work. (you need an account to see links) <- you can minimise the change though, and W10 will give you greater access to current (and future) programs.

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mama Bear For This Useful Post:

Crow (02-08-2020),Fabulous (02-08-2020),Maelstra (02-12-2020),Synth Salazzle (02-12-2020)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    30/0
    Mentioned
    11 times
    Time Online
    19d 6h 17m
    Avg. Time Online
    7m
    Quote Originally Posted by Crow View Post
    Alright peeps, I really need your help here.

My laptop is dying and I think I really need to just buy a new one at this point. I have an Acer Aspire V3-551 that runs Windows 7.
    Now I HATE change. I love this laptop. My dad bought it for me in 2012 for college and I've been using it ever since. It's kinda heavy, overheats easily, and I've replaced its battery three times. I've also had it repaired once (the hinges broke, so they essentially just put epoxy in there lol). It's a dirty old thing and I hate to upgrade but I think it's really about time.
    It can hardly handle shit anymore and will just shut off if I have too many tabs open or if I'm streaming anything really.

What I'm looking for:
    -Preferably something not as heavy / more lightweight
    -Something that can handle online gaming a bit better (I don't need a gaming laptop necessarily, just something that won't shut off if I attempt to play something online)~ I need a laptop that will be able to run the upcoming "Book of Travels" game on Steam which I just backed in the Kickstarter
    -Also something that can handle making Animashes/AMVs/etc; I used to make them all the time and upload to Youtube but I don't think my current laptop can handle such a process anymore, nor do I have the space really to download/burn movies to it
    -Ideally something that doesn't feel like a big change from what I already have, if that makes sense (I hate change)
    -$300 or under (I cannot afford anything more, I understand this is a stretch for a decent laptop but it's all I can do)

Basically looking for something that isn't too much of a jump from what I already have, but will last me another 5 years or so, and won't randomly shut off on me when I try to do things.

Anyone good with tech and know what I'm essentially looking for??
    (you need an account to see links)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Effektivv For This Useful Post:

Crow (02-08-2020)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    1/0
    Mentioned
    Never
    Time Online
    2h 9m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    It sounds like what would be best for you is a used laptop. Especially since you mentioned you would prefer a machine with an older OS and that you'd like decent performance on a budget. Look for something with at least an i3 processor and a decently sized (>= 256 G.B.) SSD with a minimum of 4GB of RAM.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to booble For This Useful Post:

Synth Salazzle (02-12-2020)

Pronouns
    Any
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    15/0
    Mentioned
    195 times
    Time Online
    76d 6h 5m
    Avg. Time Online
    42m
    There's some pretty cheap laptops out there. When I needed a PC at my brokest and ol reliable crapped out on me I got one for about $20 on ebay.

It was not fast, glorious and barely ran runescape but it was better than nothing. I could still play neopets and key quest, along with other browser games (tells you how long ago this was) without any issues. I could also run programs from cheat sites like this one without any issue. (I DID have to upgrade it to win 7 as it was XP at the time I got it.)

I could also run really low end steam games like cave story and organ trail.

userbar: Charmander

Roland SP-55 by: Honeycomb
    My contributions:
    by: hearts
    Ryu art by dankRUSE

Chegg

by: Rattata

Pronouns
    he/him
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    157/0
    Mentioned
    135 times
    Time Online
    88d 11h 4m
    Avg. Time Online
    30m
    If you're in the market for something used I recommend ebay. I got my i7 4gb laptop on there for $125 a couple months back.