54/0
    Mentioned
    1,231 times
    Time Online
    340d 23h 45m
    Avg. Time Online
    1h 58m

Cat advice

I was going to ask a vet when I get my two boys in for their vaccines, but I figure I might as well ask here, too!

SO I'm wondering how often I can move my cats around between two houses before stressing them out too much. I read on many sites that cats don't take too well to change. For context:

- My kittens are siblings, 3 months old.
    - My SO and I live apart, in cities ~1 hour away
    - He can't live with me right now because he needs to be nearer to his job. I can't live with him because I'm still a student.
    - I'll be graduating next year. This means I have a summer off when I'll most likely be living at my family's home, where I won't be able to have the kittens around my dog (who doesn't like cats very much).
    - I'm also going away on vacation in Feb for a little more than a week. Next week my SO is coming to stay with me (after coming back from his family vacation) for a whole week before going back to his city.

SO 2 things:

1. My plan right now is that when I go on vacation in Feb, the kittens and their stuff are going to live with my SO at his place. I originally would have liked them to come back to me after I return from my trip (but now I'm thinking that might be way too much trouble for my kittens than it's worth). Yay or nay? Which leads me to my second question...

2. When my summer starts in April, the kittens have to stay with my SO until next September when they can come live with me again, until I graduate April 2021 when they go back to my SO...Is this way too much?

I was really hoping to have them stay with me for all of this semester until when it ends in April. At that point would they remember my apartment if they came back to it? It's not like their 2 homes would be completely new places, but does that make any difference? And would moving them around as kittens be more flexible than if they were already fully grown cats?

Honestly though, my gut is telling me to just have them stay with my SO completely until next September, just for their well-being. In my heart of hearts I'm also concerned with still being seen as their mommy if my presence is so off/on? If that makes sense.

(Should I have waited until I graduated to joint-parent kittens? Maybe. Pls no judge)
    Last edited by Maki; 01-21-2020 at 11:23 PM.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    7/0
    Mentioned
    98 times
    Time Online
    12d 10h 23m
    Avg. Time Online
    4m
    I haven't had a ton of experience with cats but I think since they're kittens and you're taking their things with you when they move place to place should be enough familiarity?

Also, since they're only 3 months old, I'd think now would be the best time to move them around, so they're used to travelling, rather than later when they're older and set in their ways.

I think as long as they have their favorite things, and their own space they should be fine.

Hopefully someone with more experience will chime in but thats just my 2 cents.

I love other Jess even tho I log in like twice a year

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jessica For This Useful Post:

Gato (01-22-2020),Maki (01-21-2020)

Pronouns
    minty/fresh
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    54/0
    Mentioned
    1,231 times
    Time Online
    340d 23h 45m
    Avg. Time Online
    1h 58m
    That's what I was thinking too. Cats seem to be way more malleable in this part of their lives. When I took them home for the first time they really just made my place their own so I'm hoping that's true! I certainly wouldn't mind the effort of moving them around if I knew it wouldnt be affecting them too much. Thanks Jessica I appreciate your input <33 maybe I'm just worrying too much idk

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Maki For This Useful Post:

Jessica (01-22-2020)

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    6/0
    Mentioned
    339 times
    Time Online
    79d 6h 33m
    Avg. Time Online
    1h 6m
    No judge ever, you gave the babies a loving home rather than waiting in a shelter until 2021 <3 I agree that they are still young - you didn't adopt a fragile, anxious, change-averse senior who might not adjust. Your babies will take it all in stride

Some cats hate change but with the right socializing and habituation (and temperament) you can get a cat like my old kitty who loved car rides, coming into stores, overnights at gran's...

Love that you're posing the question tho cos it shows how much their well-being is ur priority <3

Pics plese

you know when someone asks "why are you so dressed up"
    and you have to literally explain to them that this is who you are

asking the important questions

thanks @extraterrestrial for capturing my essence

anyway here's my petpet

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Fabulous For This Useful Post:

Gato (01-22-2020),Jessica (01-22-2020),Maki (01-22-2020)

Pronouns
    minty/fresh
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    54/0
    Mentioned
    1,231 times
    Time Online
    340d 23h 45m
    Avg. Time Online
    1h 58m
    Aww, I've always heard stories of super easygoing cats like your old kitty and they always warm my heart omg <3 That's one Good Boye/Gorl and I hope they are thriving where ever they are

But yeah, great! I'm glad my thoughts on the matter are confirmed so far. I always just want what will be best for these guys. I think them being siblings also helps a lot because they kinda have each other to lean on. I'm pretty stressed about how they fare in transportation, since they didn't take it so well the last time - I might get one big carrier for them to both hang out in or something ;__;

BUT YES PICS @(you need an account to see links)
    Last edited by Maki; 01-22-2020 at 09:41 AM.

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Maki For This Useful Post:

Erik. (01-23-2020),Fabulous (01-22-2020),Gato (01-22-2020),Jessica (01-22-2020)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    7/0
    Mentioned
    98 times
    Time Online
    12d 10h 23m
    Avg. Time Online
    4m
    Quote Originally Posted by Mint View Post
    Aww, I've always heard stories of super easygoing cats like your old kitty and they always warm my heart omg <3 That's one Good Boye/Gorl and I hope they are thriving where ever they are

But yeah, great! I'm glad my thoughts on the matter are confirmed so far. I always just want what will be best for these guys. I think them being siblings also helps a lot because they kinda have each other to lean on. I'm pretty stressed about how they fare in transportation, since they didn't take it so well the last time - I might get one big carrier for them to both hang out in or something ;__;

BUT YES PICS @(you need an account to see links)

THEY'RE SO CUTE
    I love other Jess even tho I log in like twice a year

Pronouns
    minty/fresh
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    54/0
    Mentioned
    1,231 times
    Time Online
    340d 23h 45m
    Avg. Time Online
    1h 58m
    Quote Originally Posted by Jessica View Post
    THEY'RE SO CUTE
    THANK YOU THEY'RE SUCH GOOD BOIS

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Maki For This Useful Post:

Jessica (01-23-2020)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    30/0
    Mentioned
    Never
    Time Online
    23h 57m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    Agreeing with some of the earlier posts (just throwing my opinion here for some more confirmation for you) - as long as you move some stuff with the cats that they're familiar with (a bed, toys, etc.) it should be okay

14. The Following User Says Thank You to lollageee For This Useful Post:

Maki (01-22-2020)

*hair toss*
    Pronouns
    She/her/hers
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    58/0
    Mentioned
    401 times
    Time Online
    82d 1h 24m
    Avg. Time Online
    47m
    There's a few factors I'd consider when tackling this problem:

- The personalities of the cats: my cat is very anxious and doesn't take well to change. Are your kitties more gregarious? Fearless? Or do they hide under blankets when someone steps too loud in the apartment above?

- They are traveling together: most kitties do well with companions, so this is a point in your favor.

- How well do they travel? My cat cries for 30 mins and then quiets down, but I've known some cats who urinate in the carrier, throw up, etc.

If I understood you correctly (I hope I do!), you're suggesting moving them to your SO's place when you go on your February trip, then having them come back to your apartment until the summer, and then in September, they go back to his place until April 2021 when you graduate (at which point they'd come back to your place).

I think as long as they have at least a month in each place, you should be fine. I used to take my cat back and forth from my college house to my parents' house for a weekend, and as long as he had his same litterbox, food bowl, and water fountain, he was pretty much fine.

I'd suggest (if you haven't already) keeping them in one room for a few days, then slowly opening up the rest of the apartment / house to them. I agree it might be tough trying to reinforce your mom presence, though, if they're going to be at his place for such a long stretch of time.

Good luck!!

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Flordibel For This Useful Post:

Maki (01-22-2020)

Pronouns
    minty/fresh
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    54/0
    Mentioned
    1,231 times
    Time Online
    340d 23h 45m
    Avg. Time Online
    1h 58m
    Quote Originally Posted by Flordibel View Post
    There's a few factors I'd consider when tackling this problem:

- The personalities of the cats: my cat is very anxious and doesn't take well to change. Are your kitties more gregarious? Fearless? Or do they hide under blankets when someone steps too loud in the apartment above?

- They are traveling together: most kitties do well with companions, so this is a point in your favor.

- How well do they travel? My cat cries for 30 mins and then quiets down, but I've known some cats who urinate in the carrier, throw up, etc.

If I understood you correctly (I hope I do!), you're suggesting moving them to your SO's place when you go on your February trip, then having them come back to your apartment until the summer, and then in September, they go back to his place until April 2021 when you graduate (at which point they'd come back to your place).

I think as long as they have at least a month in each place, you should be fine. I used to take my cat back and forth from my college house to my parents' house for a weekend, and as long as he had his same litterbox, food bowl, and water fountain, he was pretty much fine.

I'd suggest (if you haven't already) keeping them in one room for a few days, then slowly opening up the rest of the apartment / house to them. I agree it might be tough trying to reinforce your mom presence, though, if they're going to be at his place for such a long stretch of time.

Good luck!!
    My boys seemed like regular ol' kittens when I took them home for the first time...I introduced them to my living room, where I set up the cat tree, litterbox, and their food/water, and they kinda made the place their own immediately LOL. I had to leave them to grab litter for 20 mins and when I came back theye were sitting on the couch just vibing. Over the course of a week they immediately went to exploring the rest of my apartment pretty gregariously, so I'd like to think they're fairly confident! My roommates are nice and like cats so they don't get too frightened around other people.

As for how well they travel, I uhh Im not too sure. When I took them home for the first time, one of them kinda quieted down after 30 mins like yours, but the other just kept crying and yowling. No pee or throw up though. I don't know he was freaking out because they were apart, which is why Im considering a shared carrier for them...

Thanks for the input! A month in between spaces seems reasonable~