Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What are you *doing* FR? (Staff, Culture, Playerbase, etc., etc.,)

Pronouns
    Any
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    15/0
    Mentioned
    195 times
    Time Online
    76d 1h 42m
    Avg. Time Online
    42m
    Quote Originally Posted by PabstBlueRibbon View Post
    As luck would have it, a friend of a friend of a friend remembered that creepy locked lair's player.

Real talk. That writing is absolutely beautiful and I'm left wanting more.

userbar: Charmander

Roland SP-55 by: Honeycomb
    My contributions:
    (you need an account to see links)
    by: hearts
    Ryu art by dankRUSE

Chegg

by: Rattata

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Synth Salazzle For This Useful Post:

Natalie (10-17-2020)

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    47/0
    Mentioned
    392 times
    Time Online
    163d 17h 35m
    Avg. Time Online
    1h 13m
    Nothing there was over the top or excessive. Everything there would easily garner a PG-13.

I would have loved to read more, how creative and interesting, and well-written and clearly treasured.

graphics by Flordibel & Menine <3

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PrettySarcastic For This Useful Post:

Natalie (10-17-2020),PabstBlueRibbon (01-16-2020),Synth Salazzle (01-16-2020)

Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    39 times
    Time Online
    9d 1h 35m
    Avg. Time Online
    4m
    Indeed. The best part about that writing is it lets your imagination do the heavy lifting. There's barely there that would directly read as above PG-13, if you don't already know what's going on. If you do, then honestly that rating passed you by ages ago.bThere's really nothing there that'd be out of place from a section of Silence of the Lambs where all the emphasis was on the unspoken stuff. Staff treated it like Saw instead.

But Manojalpa's lore was fantastic if only because of how it encouraged other players to interpret the game's own canon. When they got nipped in the bud, it pretty much killed a couple of other lore writers who started to play up the whole dark side of the AH, nameless hatchlings, scavenged eggs angle particularly if they were also hatchling/fodder-flippers. Because of course that's exactly the same as condoning abuse and human trafficking to the Tumblrinas. So one lair I did sort of stalk (for hatchlings and the lore, because why not) quietly pulled a 180 on its lore and turned to making anime fandragons, while still flipping hatchlings.

Personal anecdote time, ignore at will,

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PabstBlueRibbon For This Useful Post:

AyBeCee (01-23-2020),Natalie (10-17-2020),Synth Salazzle (01-16-2020)

Pronouns
    Any
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    15/0
    Mentioned
    195 times
    Time Online
    76d 1h 42m
    Avg. Time Online
    42m
    Indeed. The best part about that writing is it lets your imagination do the heavy lifting. There's barely there that would directly read as above PG-13, if you don't already know what's going on. If you do, then honestly that rating passed you by ages ago.bThere's really nothing there that'd be out of place from a section of Silence of the Lambs where all the emphasis was on the unspoken stuff. Staff treated it like Saw instead.

But Manojalpa's lore was fantastic if only because of how it encouraged other players to interpret the game's own canon. When they got nipped in the bud, it pretty much killed a couple of other lore writers who started to play up the whole dark side of the AH, nameless hatchlings, scavenged eggs angle particularly if they were also hatchling/fodder-flippers. Because of course that's exactly the same as condoning abuse and human trafficking to the Tumblrinas. So one lair I did sort of stalk (for hatchlings and the lore, because why not) quietly pulled a 180 on its lore and turned to making anime fandragons, while still flipping hatchlings.

Personal anecdote time, ignore at will,
    I know exactly how you feel, it's so hard to find a good writing group anymore. You do one thing that they think isn't 'pure and wholesome' and they fly off the handle.

Where's the imagination in only doing fluff when you have a whole dark lore you could be writing instead?

My contributions:
    Ryu art by dankRUSE

Chegg

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Synth Salazzle For This Useful Post:

Natalie (10-17-2020)

Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 times
    Time Online
    16d 19h 33m
    Avg. Time Online
    11m
    I relate to this so much. I saw FR's... tone-policing from afar and when I joined, I made a mental footnote not to get too into the creative side of things. I'm glad I didn't, but I'm sad as well, because... well, look what's become of this author, with all their talents. Look what's become of so many more, and even their own damn site lore. It's a site about DRAGONS and there's so much you can do with that! But instead here we sit with anime fandergs and no substance, because the FR staff hate fun almost as much as the FR users do.

There's this trend online these days in so many creative spaces where "problematique" or dark content is reviled, and those who pen it are judged on the basis of their fictional creations instead of how they actually are as people. It's nuts, but I've had a conversation with most of the people I know at one time or another that they're no longer comfortable sharing their work because of the risk of getting maimed for doing so. Whether it's domestic as a coffee shop au or a darker original fiction written from personal experience, no one's writing and no one's sharing because to do so invites abuse. I remember when it wasn't like this, and I hate that it's like this now.

I cannot believe I'm nostalgic for livejournal.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to anagram22 For This Useful Post:

Natalie (10-17-2020),Synth Salazzle (01-23-2020)

Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    39 times
    Time Online
    9d 1h 35m
    Avg. Time Online
    4m
    I poured one out for Metaquotes when everyone migrated to Tumblr and Twitter. Because that was the death of long-forum writing humor.

But that being said, LJ is still around, and so is Dreamwidth, but since the fun of writing unique lore is sharing it, even being able to write it and post it there doesn't really help the underlying issue.

I can't believe it when I say I wish the FR team had courted the DeviantArt... deviants... than the Tumblr crazies.... at least the DA people can separate the art from the artist.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to PabstBlueRibbon For This Useful Post:

Synth Salazzle (01-23-2020)

Pronouns
    Any
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    15/0
    Mentioned
    195 times
    Time Online
    76d 1h 42m
    Avg. Time Online
    42m
    I poured one out for Metaquotes when everyone migrated to Tumblr and Twitter. Because that was the death of long-forum writing humor.

But that being said, LJ is still around, and so is Dreamwidth, but since the fun of writing unique lore is sharing it, even being able to write it and post it there doesn't really help the underlying issue.

I can't believe it when I say I wish the FR team had courted the DeviantArt... deviants... than the Tumblr crazies.... at least the DA people can separate the art from the artist.
    DA is it's own brand of crazy and I'm going to be honest with you. It's not much better.

My contributions:
    Ryu art by dankRUSE

Chegg

Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    39 times
    Time Online
    9d 1h 35m
    Avg. Time Online
    4m
    Fair point. Maybe I've been lucky (staying to the paleontology and spec bio sections of DA as I do), but at least they haven't seemed as overly insane-reactive about identity politics and dark lore as Tumblr is.

.... though I do remember there was this thing about MLP gore art that got some heat for a while...

15. The Following User Says Thank You to PabstBlueRibbon For This Useful Post:

Synth Salazzle (01-24-2020)

Pronouns
    Any
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    15/0
    Mentioned
    195 times
    Time Online
    76d 1h 42m
    Avg. Time Online
    42m
    Fair point. Maybe I've been lucky (staying to the paleontology and spec bio sections of DA as I do), but at least they haven't seemed as overly insane-reactive about identity politics and dark lore as Tumblr is.

.... though I do remember there was this thing about MLP gore art that got some heat for a while...
    MLP gore art is the least of their problems lol

My contributions:
    Ryu art by dankRUSE

Chegg

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    1/0
    Mentioned
    128 times
    Time Online
    64d 11h 12m
    Avg. Time Online
    22m
    nvm this game isn't worth it
    Last edited by Clair; 01-29-2020 at 07:31 PM.

Thank you to Monsters for this beautiful gif. <3 (It died with tinypic, press F)
    @Andrew 15!!!!