54/0
    Mentioned
    1,231 times
    Time Online
    340d 22h 31m
    Avg. Time Online
    1h 59m

I'm gonna be a cat mom

I just wanted to share - my bf and I are adopting one of his friend's kittens after an unwanted pregnancy by one of his cats. Reee neuter/spay your pets

I originally wanted to have a low-commitment companion (cats kinda take care of themselves right?) while also saving a life from euthanasia. So while I was initially set on fostering a grown cat from one of the independent fosters in my city, I figure that the kittens would end up surrendered anyway so I might as well.

I've only ever had a family dog. I'm really excited to take care of a cat on my own, but cats seem like such foreign territory! I figure taking care of a kitten would be different from taking care of a grown cat. Ive done some research but I thought I'd ask some of the cat people on cK how they learned the ropes and some unspoken tips and tricks on cat communication. I've lived with a grown cat for a very brief period of time and Im pretty sure I end up overthinking it LOL

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Maki For This Useful Post:

I_royalty_I (11-12-2019),MadameNova (01-28-2020)

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    172/0
    Mentioned
    657 times
    Time Online
    182d 5h 28m
    Avg. Time Online
    1h 16m
    If your avatar is anything to go by, you'll be fine. Families growing always involve new challenges that you'll need to adapt to, but in the end, you'll also have new love. All the best! Have you thought about names?

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Mama Bear For This Useful Post:

Maki (11-12-2019)

Thanks
    DL/UL
    126/0
    Mentioned
    300 times
    Time Online
    218d 12h 58m
    Avg. Time Online
    1h 44m
    Cats are so much fun, one of my earliest memories was getting a kitten as a gift from a family friend and she was the most amazing pet I've ever had, I remember playing hide-and-seek with her in my mom's tiny apartment, my mom called my name and I jumped out of cover a little too suddenly while Snow was looking for me, poor cat got spooked, flew across the kitchen and into a bucket full of water for some reason
    They can be a lil unpredictable and full of sass, but I think that's what makes them so interesting

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Cybun For This Useful Post:

Maki (11-12-2019)

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    6/0
    Mentioned
    339 times
    Time Online
    79d 6h 33m
    Avg. Time Online
    1h 7m
    I'm sure you've done all kinds of research and you will be fine. Cats are way easier than dogs, though a kitten might be a handful at 5am wanting to play (I've only done older rescues). Food, litter (change often), water (some cats prefer drinking from "fresh" water from one of those cat fountains). Lots of places to hide and nap. A window with a view, preferably on birds. A small bunker from which to plan world domination.

I will trade u pics of my cat for pics of yours when u get it

(This is not a come on)

(Unless...)

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fabulous For This Useful Post:

derpy (11-12-2019),Maki (11-12-2019)

Pronouns
    minty/fresh
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    54/0
    Mentioned
    1,231 times
    Time Online
    340d 22h 31m
    Avg. Time Online
    1h 59m
    Quote Originally Posted by Mama Bear View Post
    If your avatar is anything to go by, you'll be fine. Families growing always involve new challenges that you'll need to adapt to, but in the end, you'll also have new love. All the best! Have you thought about names?
    Honestly, it's pretty dependent on the kitten's appearance and/or what the kitten will be like! If she's kind of goofy, I'm thinking Gremlin or Goblin (inside joke between my SO and I). If she's a sweet orange tabby, maybe Peaches or Creamsicle. I'm hoping to see the kittens in person a few weeks before adopting and suss out which one chooses me And hey, thanks for the well wishes!

---------- Post added at 05:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:29 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Cybun View Post
    Cats are so much fun, one of my earliest memories was getting a kitten as a gift from a family friend and she was the most amazing pet I've ever had, I remember playing hide-and-seek with her in my mom's tiny apartment, my mom called my name and I jumped out of cover a little too suddenly while Snow was looking for me, poor cat got spooked, flew across the kitchen and into a bucket full of water for some reason
    They can be a lil unpredictable and full of sass, but I think that's what makes them so interesting
    OMG YES give me more furbaby storiessss
    That's so cute!!! It's hilarious when cats get spooked omg. Give Snow some nose kisses for me <3

---------- Post added at 05:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:30 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Fabulous View Post
    I'm sure you've done all kinds of research and you will be fine. Cats are way easier than dogs, though a kitten might be a handful at 5am wanting to play (I've only done older rescues). Food, litter (change often), water (some cats prefer drinking from "fresh" water from one of those cat fountains). Lots of places to hide and nap. A window with a view, preferably on birds. A small bunker from which to plan world domination.
    They seem to have humble needs! Just wondering though, is a kitten normally crated up like a puppy would be? I'd be worried about letting it roam my room and maybe getting itself hurt on something.

Quote Originally Posted by Fabulous
    I will trade u pics of my cat for pics of yours when u get it

(This is not a come on)
    FABULOUS!!!
    Not in my good christian Minecraft server!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Fabulous
    (Unless...)

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Maki For This Useful Post:

Fabulous (11-12-2019)

*hair toss*
    Pronouns
    She/her/hers
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    58/0
    Mentioned
    401 times
    Time Online
    82d 1h 11m
    Avg. Time Online
    47m
    Ahhh congratulations! That's so exciting!!

Things I've learned:

1. Always have multiple sources of fresh water around the house. My cat likes to drink from his fountain AND a cup that I keep by the window where he spies on the people outside. It helps keep him hydrated.

2. Clumping litter is your friend, and clean the box daily! You can get a head start on any potential urinary problems by making sure your cat urinates each day (easy to tell with clumping litter).

3. They will really enjoy heating pads and electric blankets.

4. Talk to them! I like keeping my cat updated on my daily life. It's not so much that I think he can understand me, but more that I think he enjoys being treated like any other member of the household.

5. Depending on the type of eater your cat is, you can do wet food / dry food / both types of food. My kitty doesn't always like to drink water, so he gets a small amount of wet food twice a day, and then he grazes on dry food (in his "infinity tower feeder") the rest of the time. (And if you ever need to switch foods, start by mixing in a bit of the new food with the old food, and then slowly increasing the amount of new food in the mixture.)

6. Look into "Feliway" if you need to introduce your cat to something like a new carrier - it emulates the "good" hormones that cats give off to mark their territory and can help ease the transition into travel. (Probably should check whether it's safe for kittens though.)

7. Don't believe anyone when they say you're "sending too many pictures of the cats."

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Flordibel For This Useful Post:

MadameNova (01-28-2020),Maki (11-12-2019)

Thanks
    DL/UL
    95/0
    Mentioned
    160 times
    Time Online
    33d 21h 47m
    Avg. Time Online
    13m
    Congrats!!!!!! Cats are the best. My ragdoll cat sleeps next to me day and night when I'm home
    For cat advice, it really depends on the breed - and is it going to be an indoor cat or an outdoor cat..? Here we have a cat curfew from dark to dawn - cats must be inside your house (to protect birds etc). We have the 'Oz Pet' litter sieve tray and biodegradable pellets (you can flush them down your loo) there's really no cat poo smell at all, it's great! Also a cat climbing tower with sisal rope and catnip toys to keep your kitty entertained. When mine was a kitten we built her a fort out of cardboard boxes with tunnels etc - she loved it
    Last edited by Chibicat; 11-12-2019 at 07:34 PM.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Chibicat For This Useful Post:

Maki (11-12-2019)

Pronouns
    🐸
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    24/0
    Mentioned
    54 times
    Time Online
    77d 12h 52m
    Avg. Time Online
    59m
    Be prepared I find cats aren't quite like dogs to me at least cats are so different! My eldest cat is 16 this year and even though shes old she demands attention and snuggles! My male cat is a rescue and he is so skittish despite his huge size and yes he is neutered just fat! hahah! My youngest female had ONE heat cycle and I regret not getting her fixed sooner but she just gets lil happy sometimes then snaps out of it! WELCOME to the cat family ♥

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Politoed For This Useful Post:

Maki (11-12-2019)

Pronouns
    minty/fresh
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    54/0
    Mentioned
    1,231 times
    Time Online
    340d 22h 31m
    Avg. Time Online
    1h 59m
    Quote Originally Posted by Flordibel View Post
    Ahhh congratulations! That's so exciting!!

Things I've learned:

1. Always have multiple sources of fresh water around the house. My cat likes to drink from his fountain AND a cup that I keep by the window where he spies on the people outside. It helps keep him hydrated.

2. Clumping litter is your friend, and clean the box daily! You can get a head start on any potential urinary problems by making sure your cat urinates each day (easy to tell with clumping litter).

3. They will really enjoy heating pads and electric blankets.

4. Talk to them! I like keeping my cat updated on my daily life. It's not so much that I think he can understand me, but more that I think he enjoys being treated like any other member of the household.

5. Depending on the type of eater your cat is, you can do wet food / dry food / both types of food. My kitty doesn't always like to drink water, so he gets a small amount of wet food twice a day, and then he grazes on dry food (in his "infinity tower feeder") the rest of the time. (And if you ever need to switch foods, start by mixing in a bit of the new food with the old food, and then slowly increasing the amount of new food in the mixture.)

6. Look into "Feliway" if you need to introduce your cat to something like a new carrier - it emulates the "good" hormones that cats give off to mark their territory and can help ease the transition into travel. (Probably should check whether it's safe for kittens though.)

7. Don't believe anyone when they say you're "sending too many pictures of the cats."
    Ooh the water thing is a good idea. When I lived with a flatmate who had a cat, with water bowls and everything, I noticed it still kept herding me to the bathroom sink for water whenever it was on my side of the flat. I'll definitely keep that in mind! I'm thinking I'll get one of those fancy faucet-ish water bowls for a main area and scatter a bunch of tiny regular bowls throughout.

And lol, I'm soooo excited. My instagram is not gonna hear the last of me once I've adopted my kitten!

Thanks for the really good tips, I appreciate it~

---------- Post added at 07:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:53 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Chibicat View Post
    Congrats!!!!!! Cats are the best. My ragdoll cat sleeps next to me day and night when I'm home
    For cat advice, it really depends on the breed - and is it going to be an indoor cat or an outdoor cat..? Here we have a cat curfew from dark to dawn - cats must be inside your house (to protect birds etc). We have the 'Oz Pet' litter sieve tray and biodegradable pellets (you can flush them down your loo) there's really no cat poo smell at all, it's great! Also a cat climbing tower with sisal rope and catnip toys to keep your kitty entertained. When mine was a kitten we built her a fort out of cardboard boxes with tunnels etc - she loved it
    Aaaaaaa ragdolls are SOO CUTE
    I'm planning on it being an indoor cat! I'd just get too anxious knowing it's outside without me ;w;
    Ooh, I'm really intrigued by the Oz Pet sieve tray/biodegradable pellets. One thing I'm worried about is the smell but if cats smell anything like dogs it should be fine. Loool
    How do you deal with cat hair? I suspect I'm mildly allergic, but I don't know if that's just dust or the actual hair themselves.
    Keeping cats entertained with hiding places and forts seems to be a common theme from things I've read online. They really need that mental stimulation! I'll try my best to construct something similar in my tiny apartment

---------- Post added at 08:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:57 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Bon Bon View Post
    Be prepared I find cats aren't quite like dogs to me at least cats are so different! My eldest cat is 16 this year and even though shes old she demands attention and snuggles! My male cat is a rescue and he is so skittish despite his huge size and yes he is neutered just fat! hahah! My youngest female had ONE heat cycle and I regret not getting her fixed sooner but she just gets lil happy sometimes then snaps out of it! WELCOME to the cat family ♥
    Thank you <3 <3
    Wow, she's old! I've only ever had experiences with aloof cats, so it seems like such a DREAM to have a snuggly cat, but I think it's just because they may be more affectionate with their owner than strangers I can't wait to have a cuddlebug~

Thanks
    DL/UL
    95/0
    Mentioned
    160 times
    Time Online
    33d 21h 47m
    Avg. Time Online
    13m
    Quote Originally Posted by Mint View Post
    Aaaaaaa ragdolls are SOO CUTE
    I'm planning on it being an indoor cat! I'd just get too anxious knowing it's outside without me ;w;
    Ooh, I'm really intrigued by the Oz Pet sieve tray/biodegradable pellets. One thing I'm worried about is the smell but if cats smell anything like dogs it should be fine. Loool
    How do you deal with cat hair? I suspect I'm mildly allergic, but I don't know if that's just dust or the actual hair themselves.
    Keeping cats entertained with hiding places and forts seems to be a common theme from things I've read online. They really need that mental stimulation! I'll try my best to construct something similar in my tiny apartment
    With Cat hair again it depends on the cat - Ragdolls look super fluffy but they groom themselves most of the time, and after Winter each year I have a special cat brush called the 'Furminator Brush' which is really good at removing the shedding fluff/hair!
    I am also mildy allergic to cat hair - which is why end of winter/start of spring I make sure to vacuum the carpeted areas often, brush her, and have Telfast nearby incase it gets too much. Would be the same for dust too I imagine. That's why lots of people love floorboards! The rest of the year I'm fine unless my cat sleeps on my face or pillow. Which has happened. Haha.
    Otherwise enjoy your new kitty companion. Males are usually more affectionate than females, but any cat with the right amount of love will come around let me know if you have any problems. When I got my kitten from the breeder she was already litter box trained (mum taught her how) so hopefully yours gets the hang on it quickly! Otherwise and first few weeks of kitty life are the hardest if you have to work and shes home alone and if kitty gets scared at night time.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Chibicat For This Useful Post:

Maki (11-13-2019)