Mentioned
    21 times
    Time Online
    21d 16h 48m
    Avg. Time Online
    9m

anyone fostered animals before?

hey clraik,

anyone here ever fostered an animal before?

i'm about to move for a year and having a dog is usually a really grounding routine for me so i figured maybe i could foster one while i live my new city. anyone have experience? how long did you foster? what kind of animals? and how hard were they to give up?

thanks!

Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 times
    Time Online
    11d 23h 5m
    Avg. Time Online
    5m
    I have fostered a few dogs over the years, usually for a few months at a time, as well as raising a litter of 4 bottle baby kittens. (I kept two of the cats, so the attachment is definitely possible). I feel like a house is totally empty without animals, they make it alive. You do kind of get attached, but you also have to rembember that not every dog is for every person. While you might find yourself wanting to keep one, you have to ask, is this really the best situation for the dog and myself? It's usually not, it's just hard not to love dogs. That excitement you feel when they go to their forever home, and know that you'd helped make that happen, is a really wonderful feeling and so very worth it.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Doobie For This Useful Post:

Corvid (11-02-2019)

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    17/0
    Mentioned
    257 times
    Time Online
    38d 23h 49m
    Avg. Time Online
    31m
    Hey Corvid,

I've fostered bunnies and cats before, and it was a very rewarding experience (especially bunnies as they have a much higher rate of abandonment/kill than many other pets). Fosters lasted from 3-6 weeks typically, depending on the age/needs of the animals. The one thing that a lot of people don't consider is that shelters typically have strict requirements around your time at home and what you do/how you do things with the animals you are fostering.

userbar by the delightful (you need an account to see links)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Koto For This Useful Post:

Corvid (11-02-2019)

Pronouns
    lmao who cares
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    5/0
    Mentioned
    66 times
    Time Online
    23d 11h 37m
    Avg. Time Online
    8m
    Yeah...I always end up adopting, whoops.

^^ Thanks to Menine for the icon & Gremlin for this userbar!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Crow For This Useful Post:

Corvid (11-21-2019)

Pronouns
    ✨ she / her✨
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    43/0
    Mentioned
    286 times
    Time Online
    59d 23h 5m
    Avg. Time Online
    28m
    I've been fostering cats and kittens for a couple of years now. I definitely do get attached to my fosters, especially the young ones that I have to bottle feed (they're pretty much my babies!) but I know that I cannot keep them and that their forever home is out there, but not with me. And with every cat that gets adopted, it leaves me space to bring in a new one who needs my help. It's a great feeling!! It's not always a happy experience fostering, though- I've taken in kittens that were too injured, or grew sick, and just couldn't be saved despite my best efforts and the efforts of my vet. I've lost one just last month that still pains me to think about. BUT, more often than not, I find my kittens becoming healthier and stronger than they were when I found them. ^^ And it makes me so happy to see them getting better and seeing the difference that I'm making for that little life.

I don't foster through a shelter though, so I couldn't tell you much about how that works- I foster on my own and through a local cat rescue. I take in abandoned kittens and friendly strays/ferals and get them in top shape and socialize them to become good house cats, then I advertise on my personal Facebook page and through the rescue to find them homes. Typically I have my fosters for around 4-6 weeks, but some I've had for almost a year with no interest. But they all eventually find their homes, some just take longer than others.

Andromeda
    Hatched: 11-15-2020
    Last Evolution: 1-1-2021
    Survived the Ryupocalypse 7-15-2021

(you need an account to see links) (you need an account to see links)
    Thanks TsUNaMy WaVe for the Paladins userbar!
    Thanks Lyrichord for the custom avatar userbar!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Stardust For This Useful Post:

Corvid (11-21-2019)

Pronouns
    they/them
    Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    14 times
    Time Online
    56d 5h 37m
    Avg. Time Online
    39m
    I loved fostering kittens back when I was in high school but the sad truth is, is that kittens are really hard to adopt out sometimes. Plus the attachment you get!

Not sure if it counts as fostering but I used to venture to random pet stores and adopt/buy sick and injured fish and keep them. I had fish with missing fins, missing or no eyes and spine deformities. Some lived a month and some lived 10+ years with me. Fish have always been my favorite but maintaining aquariums is a pain sometimes.

My local shelter has a foster program, and my friend used to volunteer there. You bottlefeed puppies and kittens, take the dogs for walks, or can just sit in a room and play with the animals. All the perks of having a pet without taking them home or worry about their expenses. You're required to take some classes there though before you start volunteering.

If you wanna foster animals at home (you keep them for a certain amount of time and them give them back or adopt them out yourself) I think you'd have to go through private rescue agencies.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Fiore For This Useful Post:

Corvid (11-21-2019)

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    1/0
    Mentioned
    21 times
    Time Online
    21d 16h 48m
    Avg. Time Online
    9m
    thank you guys for your responses!

i do worry about the attachment factor just because my life is a little bit turbulent right now and i don't plan on staying in new orleans for more than a year. also if someone else didn't adopt my foster and i needed to leave what would happen do you think?

i love animals and the work that goes into them is so rewarding; i just don't want to make a rash decision.

also i love love hearing about your experiences <3 i'm smiling just reading about them!

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    19/0
    Mentioned
    Never
    Time Online
    4h N/A
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    I currently foster dogs (getting our newest guest on Monday!) and it's amazing. You get to take a doggo that might not have known any love in their life and give them much needed affection and care. Then you get to find them the perfect home. It's a great feeling. I will say though, it can be very hard... easy to get attached and hard to let them go.

Pronouns
    it
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    79/1
    Mentioned
    39 times
    Time Online
    16d 12h 41m
    Avg. Time Online
    6m
    We fostered cats when i was a kid
    Some we had for weeks, others months
    I liked it at first but as I got older and I got attached to some of the cats we had a long time it was upsetting to have to give them up
    It's rewarding in the long run though. Knowing your giving an animal a temporary loving home and environment until they are adopted. Id rather they be sat on my lap and getting cuddles every day rather than been sat in a cramped shelter

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    20/0
    Mentioned
    55 times
    Time Online
    31d 8h 27m
    Avg. Time Online
    25m
    also if someone else didn't adopt my foster and i needed to leave what would happen do you think?

In a situation like this, if you know ahead of time that you will be leaving, you could reach out to another foster to get the pet placed.
    Very rewarding fostering. Giving some hope to an animal who has not had a home, or lost the home they knew, instead of sitting alone in a shelter is worth it in my eyes.
    Attachment is an issue but you could look at it like this, if you don't give it up, you won't be able to help another animal in need. One in, one out, another in.