Thread: What do you know about Latin America strikes?

Thanks
    DL/UL
    21/0
    Mentioned
    61 times
    Time Online
    62d 11h 51m
    Avg. Time Online
    43m

What do you know about Latin America strikes?

Hello people,
    I'm curious about how do you see our issues from the outside. In my country, we are in your 7th strike day and our 5th day with army forces on the streets "taking care" of the citizens. There is a lot of disinformation about the real mobilizations in the TV media, so... I'll be vague about it so I can ask: What have you heard about the situation about Argentina, Chile, Per�... ?

I'll add some information if you ask me, or I'll add it meanwhile I read your thoughts.

PS: I'd like to know what's the information reaching to you, so I can contrast it with my reality.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Midas For This Useful Post:

macca8 (10-29-2019),Maki (10-24-2019)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    1/0
    Mentioned
    Never
    Time Online
    20h 43m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    There's been sadly next to no coverage in the media in my country. From what I've seen online (about Chile in particular) is that protests started because of rising living/transport costs, but that the reason behind the anger is bigger than that and about other things like healthcare and public welfare. Is that accurate?

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    45/0
    Mentioned
    38 times
    Time Online
    15d 1h 31m
    Avg. Time Online
    5m
    I don't use the standard media in general, like no TV and newspapers but I'm pretty well informed thanks to the selected people/pages I follow in social media. Interestingly though I learned about the situation in Chile from a travel group in FB where a girl living there issued a warning about future travellers. She said it's highly recommended to postpone all travels for at least 2 weeks and when people asked why, she explained. So then I got curious and searched for info myself.

Thanks
    DL/UL
    21/0
    Mentioned
    61 times
    Time Online
    62d 11h 51m
    Avg. Time Online
    43m
    Quote Originally Posted by GiantWadjet View Post
    There's been sadly next to no coverage in the media in my country. From what I've seen online (about Chile in particular) is that protests started because of rising living/transport costs, but that the reason behind the anger is bigger than that and about other things like healthcare and public welfare. Is that accurate?
    Don't worry, there is no coverage even in our own country. Yeah, that is what started them: they raised the costs twice in the same year, without improving anything. There are several topics like: the public healthcare services (awful, slow, medical negligences, never-ending queues; quimioterapia assign you a date when the patient passed away 2 months ago, this is a real case), corrupt politicians (they deny to reduce working hours from 42 to 40, lunch time doesn't count as working hour; their salaries is around 8300 USD; they are the only regulators about how much money they should earn every month, that's stupid, such a waste of money). I'm not sure how to say this in English, but when you retire, you downgrade your earns from ~850 USD (being gentle, because people earn A LOT lower this number) to ~400 USD, for living... including your medications (in inflated drugstores), food, etc.
    Our president is a pretty known thief, cheated a whole bank (Banco de Talca) several yearls ago, and remain unpunished because he's a multi millionaire businessman now. Chile is a country where the poor goes to jail, meanwhile rich people "pay" their acts in a private military jail with luxuries. This country is very well known for the highest life quality in Latin America, but it's going worse everytime, and politicians are just taking care about their own pockets; so, that's pretty much why this exploded so quick, because people is tired after 30 years of "democracy", where no matter whom is choosen, things doesn't improve for the people.

Quote Originally Posted by nousha View Post
    I don't use the standard media in general, like no TV and newspapers but I'm pretty well informed thanks to the selected people/pages I follow in social media. Interestingly though I learned about the situation in Chile from a travel group in FB where a girl living there issued a warning about future travellers. She said it's highly recommended to postpone all travels for at least 2 weeks and when people asked why, she explained. So then I got curious and searched for info myself.

It's pretty dangerous out there. I recommend that as well; military is shooting people with no mercy, there are several dead, wounded and tortured people. Everything that is happening is illegal, and people is not scared. True evidence about this can be found around Facebook and Instagram, but they are still deleting these videos because there is huge violence, blood and shooting evidence.
    Politicians are laughing about these, and it's fine for them, "it is what should be done". Now we try to constitutionally accuse the president and his cabinet, for being a dictator.

Some controversy quotes:

"May they be very dead." -Politician.
    "Hit them, rip them off." -Journalist caught talking before the live news.
    "We were aware about the inequality, but we didn't knew that if affected you so bad." -TV star
    "This is like a... foreign (she meant extraterrestrial) alien, I don't how to say, invasion. And we don't have the tools to fight it. Please, let's keep the calm (...) We will have to decrease our priviliges to share with the others." - THE FIRST LADY

PS: People voted for him because they share that Trump-Bolsonaro mentality. And also, because "he is already rich, so he's not gonna steal from us". Bullshit.
    Last edited by Midas; 10-25-2019 at 10:54 AM.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Midas For This Useful Post:

Alcremie (10-25-2019)

Thanks
    DL/UL
    126/0
    Mentioned
    300 times
    Time Online
    218d 12h 58m
    Avg. Time Online
    1h 43m
    I'm not entirely sure what is going on as I've been keeping myself away from world news and stuff, but from what little I've seen I think you guys are more than correct in acting outraged, and with the pushback from the military and government, I think in this case I support violence from your side because unfortunately these politicians are getting too bold, they need to be reminded why they should fear the people
    Remember this whole thing about peacefully protesting is bullshit pushed by the ruling class, the world has only ever changed over time when blood stained the streets, as grim as it sounds
    Last edited by Cybun; 10-25-2019 at 11:30 AM.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Cybun For This Useful Post:

Alcremie (10-25-2019)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    50/0
    Mentioned
    73 times
    Time Online
    92d 21h 6m
    Avg. Time Online
    1h 6m
    I haven't seen any news coverage in the US but some small pages I follow on Facebook posted videos and wrote about it being about income inequality, and other problems I'm sure. It made me sad. I hope everything improves someday. Shit is way too unequal and something does need to happen.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    60/0
    Mentioned
    10 times
    Time Online
    8d 19h 51m
    Avg. Time Online
    7m
    We are neighbors. I am from Brazil, but I confess that the reality of Chile is passing too little.
    I heard that a failed government has returned to presidency in Argentina.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Why So Serious? For This Useful Post:

macca8 (10-29-2019)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    189/0
    Mentioned
    36 times
    Time Online
    35d 23h 29m
    Avg. Time Online
    15m
    We are neighbors, I am from Argentina. It's amazing to see how our two countries hate each other. Here in many newspapers, especially on Facebook, most people laugh at what is happening to you. (It is seen that people remember things from the past with other countries but to vote for a president not )
    A shame since I know people from Chile and we are very good friends.
    Although I maintain that Argentina will also have chaos in a short time since the people vote for a thief to return to the presidency.