Thread: Musical theatre kids, check in with your favourite songs.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    7/0
    Mentioned
    61 times
    Time Online
    32d 11h 37m
    Avg. Time Online
    51m

Musical theatre kids, check in with your favourite songs.

I'm never up on new music, but I can sing the full soundtrack of just about every musical out there. I thought it would be nice to have a place to share favourite musical theatre numbers, especially if they're a little less known.

I'm on a bit of a Groundhog Day kick - these two are lovely.

I'm seeing Next to Normal for the first time this week and I'm excited for it.

Heathers is always a jam and this was a great cast (one video slightly nsfw)

When I saw Bonnie and Clyde, this is the song that blew me away:

And finally for now, Alex Newell is a JOY. I was lucky enough to see them in Once On This Island, but Shucked is the current obsession.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to birdies For This Useful Post:

Maia (08-21-2023)

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    2/0
    Mentioned
    9 times
    Time Online
    33d 24m
    Avg. Time Online
    1h 39m
    most numbers from Hadestown are in my head on repeat but i just love Flowers the most right now c:

i missed the Once on this Island show when it was in my town, really hoping i can catch it some other time.
    i'm going to see Natasha, Pierre & the Great Comet of 1812 on Thursday!
    Custom userbar & rat Ryu by Lyrichord

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Maia For This Useful Post:

birdies (08-22-2023),♥ Vee ♥ (10-15-2023)

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    92/0
    Mentioned
    706 times
    Time Online
    83d 14h 18m
    Avg. Time Online
    37m
    DID SOMEONE SAY MUSICAL THEATRE KIDS?!?!?!?!

That's me! I was a theatre and musical theatre kids. Albeit I didn't join musical theatre until grade 12, but I did regular drama class all of high school. Honestly, being a theatre kid is one of the best parts of high school for me. The friendships and bonds made in that theatre are unbreakable.

Some of my favourite songs are ones we performed in class, of course. They just stick with me.

This was one that we worked on as entire class. Our musical theatre class was comprised of grade 10s, 11s and 12s. We were broken up by our range, and for this I got put in the soprano 1 group (so the ones who slightly higher than alto, but not a super high soprano). It was a challenge for me, because usually our teacher placed me in alto. But I enjoyed the challenge! Nearly 12 years later, this still gets stuck in my head ALL of the time.

Another one: we did Into the Woods as our school musical that year. "I Know Things Now" was one of my faovurite songs. I wasn't in the musical directly. I was on the stage manager crew, but I loved this number.

This song was an ongoing joke of the musical crew. Every time we rehearsed it, we felt like we were in agony LOL. It just got on our nerves and it felt so tedious. Couldn't tell you why, but it was :p

I also don't need to explain this one. If you know, you know.

(But the movie version? AWOOOOOGGGGAAAA, HEART EYEESSSSS. God, I am so gay for Amanda Seyfried.)

(you need an account to see links)

Art Credits:
    issa poot/bffs/be evil by my bb (you need an account to see links)
    custom popsicle userbar: (you need an account to see links)
    custom cinnamoroll ub: (you need an account to see links)
    cinna ryu sprite: (you need an account to see links)
    custom SDV pfp: (you need an account to see links)

Pronouns
    🐈/🐱
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    7/0
    Mentioned
    327 times
    Time Online
    103d 1h 30m
    Avg. Time Online
    1h 41m

Thank you honeycomb | Thank you Hollow | Thank you Wooloo | Thank you hearts

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Cat Purrson For This Useful Post:

Cinnamoroll (08-22-2023)

Pronouns
    they/them
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    10/0
    Mentioned
    6 times
    Time Online
    1d 19h 14m
    Avg. Time Online
    10m
    I consider the musical "Come From Away" a hidden gem, I haven't met a lot of people who are as passionate about it as I am- so here's one of my favorite tracks from it :B

9. The Following User Says Thank You to marvelousmarvin For This Useful Post:

♥ Vee ♥ (10-15-2023)

overthink.exe
    Pronouns
    she/they
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    40/0
    Mentioned
    1,161 times
    Time Online
    556d 11h 10m
    Avg. Time Online
    3h 27m
    Quote Originally Posted by marvelousmarvin View Post
    I consider the musical "Come From Away" a hidden gem, I haven't met a lot of people who are as passionate about it as I am- so here's one of my favorite tracks from it :B

I really want to see that at some point! I remember mentioning it to my parents because it came to Broadway when I was living in New York, but my family has a fair bit of trauma-we-don't-really-talk-about related to 9/11 and even though the attacks are just the background of the story, it was too much for them, I think. Which I respect, I can't handle most fictionalized accounts, but this one seemed really wholesome.

One of the weirder ones I remember being into was Silence! The Musical. I was recently on a plane and saw somebody walk by with a huge calf tattoo of the poster. But if I'm being honest I mostly got into the classics like RENT/Phantom/Wicked. I'm trying to remember which else was in regular music rotation. The movie version of Chicago? Not music, but the costume/puppet design in The Lion King was amazing. And then anything I ran stage crew for in high school I'll still get the songs stuck in my head.
    (you need an account to see links)

thanks stardust for base Thanks Sugarbee Thanks Wooloo
    Kyo (Nov 13 2020)

thanks honeycomb
    and hearts! <3
    +Zenitsu

THANK YOU FAB

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    17/0
    Mentioned
    50 times
    Time Online
    36d 22h 51m
    Avg. Time Online
    14m
    Oh, this is a topic for me if I ever saw one. I grew up on the Rocky Horror Picture Show soundtrack. My parents had the record for it, and we'd play the whole soundtrack practically every weekend on their record player. My favourite song from when I was little, even until now, was this:

Probably not the best song for me to know from a young age but, lmao. In recent years I've come to love the Heathers soundtrack, especially these two songs tho

Thank you Lyrichord for the userbar!

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    7/0
    Mentioned
    61 times
    Time Online
    32d 11h 37m
    Avg. Time Online
    51m
    Quote Originally Posted by Maia View Post
    most numbers from Hadestown are in my head on repeat but i just love Flowers the most right now c:

i missed the Once on this Island show when it was in my town, really hoping i can catch it some other time.
    i'm going to see Natasha, Pierre & the Great Comet of 1812 on Thursday!

I saw Hadestown about.... 12 times in London? I'm a huge snob but I prefer the London to Broadway Versions and I still think the workshop version is my favourite. I'm currently praying Amber Gray and Patrick Page come back to the UK to open the West End version, I'd be so happy - I have 3rd row seats for opening night!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Cinnamoroll View Post
    DID SOMEONE SAY MUSICAL THEATRE KIDS?!?!?!?!

That's me! I was a theatre and musical theatre kids. Albeit I didn't join musical theatre until grade 12, but I did regular drama class all of high school. Honestly, being a theatre kid is one of the best parts of high school for me. The friendships and bonds made in that theatre are unbreakable.

Some of my favourite songs are ones we performed in class, of course. They just stick with me.

This was one that we worked on as entire class. Our musical theatre class was comprised of grade 10s, 11s and 12s. We were broken up by our range, and for this I got put in the soprano 1 group (so the ones who slightly higher than alto, but not a super high soprano). It was a challenge for me, because usually our teacher placed me in alto. But I enjoyed the challenge! Nearly 12 years later, this still gets stuck in my head ALL of the time.

Another one: we did Into the Woods as our school musical that year. "I Know Things Now" was one of my faovurite songs. I wasn't in the musical directly. I was on the stage manager crew, but I loved this number.

Theatre kids unite! I got all the way to drama school before my health crashed and I couldn't perform anymore. Children Will Listen from Into The Woods was one of my audition songs!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by marvelousmarvin View Post
    Come From Away is honestly one of the most feelgood musicals I've ever seen, despite coming from such a tragedy. I absolutely love it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Evelynn View Post
    Oh, this is a topic for me if I ever saw one. I grew up on the Rocky Horror Picture Show soundtrack. My parents had the record for it, and we'd play the whole soundtrack practically every weekend on their record player. My favourite song from when I was little, even until now, was this:
    Probably not the best song for me to know from a young age but, lmao. In recent years I've come to love the Heathers soundtrack, especially
    Are we the same person??? I got into Rocky Horror when I was 10 years old because some older kids at my drama group were into it. I watched the movie so many times I wore it out (and fell in love with Tim Curry) and have seen the stage show about 40 times. I had schoolbooks with Rocky Horror stickers on which my teachers did NOT approve of.

Here's Andrew Rannells, patron saint of theatre kids, doing Into The Woods:

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    9/0
    Mentioned
    11 times
    Time Online
    6d 19h 11m
    Avg. Time Online
    2m
    This song and particular performance gets me EVERYTIME. Jessie Mueller just slays this so hard.

And I agree on Come From Away... So, so good. Here's my fav.

And last but not least...

And of course pretty much anything Hadestown.
    I really wish I lived in New York (sadly in boring ol' Europe), so most musicals I have to watch through some form of online, but I'm still hoping to visit Broadway one day.

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    165 times
    Time Online
    41d 6h 58m
    Avg. Time Online
    15m
    spring awakening was the first musical i ever saw on broadway, and all the songs have stuck with me a lot, but this one still gets stuck in my head the most

another favorite of mine, When Youre Home from In the Heights gives me a lot of homesick feelings as a kid from NYC who lives elsewhere now

custom userbars by @lyrichord (argyle) and @charmander (guilmon ryu)! thank you so much!

"My name isn't Rob, but I'm Robbing"
    -Thieves 2020

@guil and @delibird

userbar by @charmander and art by @dankruse !