Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What's your favorite live performance?

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    9/0
    Mentioned
    11 times
    Time Online
    6d 19h 11m
    Avg. Time Online
    2m

What's your favorite live performance?

Sometimes, live performances can be better than the studio version. I personally really enjoy watching them on Youtube, I can spend hours on it. :'D
    What are your favorites? Whether it's of emotional value to you, something you got to witness in person, or a performance you simply think is incredible - let's see it!

Here's one of mine (actual song starts at ~4:15). I was but a few years old, but I grew up with Prince's music and I will forever be sad about not having been able to see him live.

(didn't see a thread like this recently so hope it's ok!)

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Vee For This Useful Post:

Alister (10-24-2023),Bunnii (10-25-2023),Excalibur (10-24-2023),Null_user (10-24-2023)

Pronouns
    ⚔️
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    15/0
    Mentioned
    257 times
    Time Online
    29d 20h 5m
    Avg. Time Online
    10m
    my most favorite performance was LP's Live in Texas. I wish i was old enough or had adult money to go. I blasted this CD for years on my Sony.

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Excalibur For This Useful Post:

Alister (10-24-2023),Bunnii (10-25-2023),Null_user (10-24-2023),♥ Vee ♥ (10-24-2023)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    5/0
    Mentioned
    13 times
    Time Online
    2d 14h 35m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    Honestly in terms of pure skill and performance experience I'd actually have to say Megadeth, I've seen them as openers for many headliners and they're just so blatantly good that I have a hard time enjoying the main event after they blow me away.

Black Stone Cherry is fun in terms of performance, I've been to a couple of their shows. Smaller venues are their strong suit though. They're a lot worst imo at bigger events.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Sithis For This Useful Post:

♥ Vee ♥ (10-24-2023)

Pronouns
    1/0
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    17/0
    Mentioned
    4 times
    Time Online
    5d 2h 25m
    Avg. Time Online
    33m
    I have three absolute favorites:

In first place:
    Kings of Carnival Creation - Ozzfest 2004 - Dimmu Borgir

Why? Because it is such a great performance. Vortex in the backup clean vocals give so much depth to the song. Also it is played flawlessly.

Second place:
    Lifa - Castlefest 2017 - Heilung

Why? Just hear them. Feels like a full norse ritual.

Third place:
    Live Gothic - Warsaw, Poland 2007 - Therion

Why? I believe Shaw gives certain charisma that Therion lacked some times. Also female vocals are on point in this lineup.
    Last edited by Null_user; 10-24-2023 at 11:31 AM.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Null_user For This Useful Post:

Bunnii (10-25-2023),Sithis (10-24-2023),♥ Vee ♥ (10-24-2023)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    33/0
    Mentioned
    331 times
    Time Online
    126d 6h 26m
    Avg. Time Online
    2h 16m
    I have two!

I would not call myself a big Bruce Springsteen fan, especially with how he sounds live. The first two minutes and last two minutes of this (both instrumental) are the exception. If I could pick any single concert to have gotten to see live, this one song may make it this show for me.

And obligatory public service announcement: If you like live performances, Stop Making Sense by the Talking Heads is mandatory viewing. I got to see the re-release in IMAX a few weeks back and it was the shit

seriously I could watch David Byrne's weird dancing all day

Last edited by Alister; 10-24-2023 at 11:40 AM.

sea serpent ryu by GWN | star gazing ub GreyFaerie | serpent scales ub by Infected | avatar by Dita
    consolidation of all four beauties by Lyrichord
    better quality images on petpage in spoilers

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Alister For This Useful Post:

Null_user (10-24-2023),♥ Vee ♥ (10-24-2023)

Pronouns
    1/0
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    17/0
    Mentioned
    4 times
    Time Online
    5d 2h 25m
    Avg. Time Online
    33m
    Quote Originally Posted by Sithis View Post
    Honestly in terms of pure skill and performance experience I'd actually have to say Megadeth, I've seen them as openers for many headliners and they're just so blatantly good that I have a hard time enjoying the main event after they blow me away.

Black Stone Cherry is fun in terms of performance, I've been to a couple of their shows. Smaller venues are their strong suit though. They're a lot worst imo at bigger events.
    I saw Megadeth for the fisrt time live in Wacken this year, and Mustaine truly disappoints as a frontman. I am by no means a Megadeth fan, but wanted to see them live. They play good and all, but the performance was quite mediocre to say the least. In that particular show Marty saved the bell when he appeared out of nowhere.
    But I may be biased as I don't like them so much. So in the end is just my perspective on their live performance on that particular show.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    5/0
    Mentioned
    13 times
    Time Online
    2d 14h 35m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    Quote Originally Posted by Null_user View Post
    I saw Megadeth for the fisrt time live in Wacken this year, and Mustaine truly disappoints as a frontman. I am by no means a Megadeth fan, but wanted to see them live. They play good and all, but the performance was quite mediocre to say the least. In that particular show Marty saved the bell when he appeared out of nowhere.
    But I may be biased as I don't like them so much. So in the end is just my perspective on their live performance on that particular show.
    I've seen them perform live three times and I do agree with you on a fundamental level regarding Dave Mustine. Everything about him screams burnt out. He needs to stop touring, but just him.

Dirk Verbeuren is what makes Megadeth amazing for me. He's the drummer and just steals the show in my heart every time. Maybe it's more accurate to say Dirk Verbeuren's performance is what I liked best. Dirk just has the best energy out of any drummer I've seen live.

Marty Friedman is good, but not my favorite guitarist. I've seen him save Mustine's poor performance before.

Most recently saw them opening for FFDP in Northwest Arkansas.

Pronouns
    1/0
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    17/0
    Mentioned
    4 times
    Time Online
    5d 2h 25m
    Avg. Time Online
    33m
    Quote Originally Posted by Sithis View Post
    I've seen them perform live three times and I do agree with you on a fundamental level regarding Dave Mustine. Everything about him screams burnt out. He needs to stop touring, but just him.

Dirk Verbeuren is what makes Megadeth amazing for me. He's the drummer and just steals the show in my heart every time. Maybe it's more accurate to say Dirk Verbeuren's performance is what I liked best. Dirk just has the best energy out of any drummer I've seen live.

Marty Friedman is good, but not my favorite guitarist. I've seen him save Mustine's poor performance before.

Most recently saw them opening for FFDP in Northwest Arkansas.
    I think I missed the drummer. I was in the front lines and he was higher up so I couldn't see him. What a shame, I love when drummers add something to the performance other than just playing.

Reminds me of Dave Lombardo when he toured with Kreator and Exodus ages ago. He stole the spotlight for sure!

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Infected For This Useful Post:

Null_user (10-27-2023),♥ Vee ♥ (10-24-2023)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    9/0
    Mentioned
    11 times
    Time Online
    6d 19h 11m
    Avg. Time Online
    2m
    Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    my most favorite performance was LP's Live in Texas. I wish i was old enough or had adult money to go. I blasted this CD for years on my Sony.

God this is such a blast from the past.. Another band I wish I would've been able to see live.

Quote Originally Posted by Alister View Post
    And obligatory public service announcement: If you like live performances, Stop Making Sense by the Talking Heads is mandatory viewing. I got to see the re-release in IMAX a few weeks back and it was the shit
    Oh my god, I LOVE Talking Heads. How have I never heard or seen of this?! I will look for it and definitely watch it. Thank you for the recommendation.

Quote Originally Posted by Infected View Post

Nothing will ever come close.
    Very good choice! Voice smooth as butter and incredible guitar skills. Love this. And how good is the location, wow!

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Vee For This Useful Post:

Excalibur (10-25-2023)