30/0
    Mentioned
    343 times
    Time Online
    287d 1h 15m
    Avg. Time Online
    1h 38m

Chernobyl

Have you guys been watching this miniseries?

I've really enjoyed it so far. I'll be watching the final episode this evening. I feel like they've captured the mood and seriousness of the situation very well. Being English I'm probably a little cast-biased too as it features some of my favourite actors.

For years I've been very interested in anything to do with Chernobyl and always likes reading about it and watching documentaries about the disaster and people visiting there present day.

My wife is from Switzerland and I was speaking to her mother about the series this past weekend. Apparently the government in Switzerland were so concerned that they had started to put plans in place for all of their citizens to relocate to the country's nuclear bunkers. Fortunately for them the winds changed and prevented the need.

I know it was a devastating incident and that sadly the repercussions are still playing out today but it's still somewhere I'd love to visit, it's definitely on my bucket list.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Nath For This Useful Post:

Erik. (06-04-2019)

Pronouns
    he/him
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    14/0
    Mentioned
    232 times
    Time Online
    95d 6h 21m
    Avg. Time Online
    1h 4m
    I've been wanting to watch the series but haven't had the time so far. Seems really interesting though, and well-acted. As a kid the Chernobyl disaster scared the shit out of me (when I was 8 or so there was a documentary about all those radiation babies) and it's never really gone away. Very intriguing.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Erik. For This Useful Post:

Nath (06-04-2019)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    26/0
    Mentioned
    6 times
    Time Online
    6d 11h 32m
    Avg. Time Online
    2m
    Planning on watching it. Heard someone say it got better reception than GoT

there i was, with my butterfly net
    trying to catch your light

(you need an account to see links)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Seohyun For This Useful Post:

Nath (06-04-2019)

Thanks
    DL/UL
    126/0
    Mentioned
    300 times
    Time Online
    218d 12h 58m
    Avg. Time Online
    1h 43m
    It's an amazing series, it depicts the events with such realism and respect, I think everyone should watch this
    I'll be watching the final episode when I get home from work, I'm not ready for this to end sobbb

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Cybun For This Useful Post:

Nath (06-04-2019)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    5/0
    Mentioned
    6 times
    Time Online
    18d 21h 53m
    Avg. Time Online
    11m
    I can't acces to a service to watch it, but i've been reading some pieces from the book that it's based (Voices of Chernobyl i think it's the title in english) and... My heart aches.
    It's a terribly sad story, and knowing all that happened for real makes it even more painful.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    45/0
    Mentioned
    38 times
    Time Online
    15d 1h 31m
    Avg. Time Online
    5m
    Yeah, the book is amazing. It's no wonder Svetlana Alexievitch won Nobel prize some years ago.

I won't watch the series because I've read the book and I was born in 1979 in Bulgaria, I was 7 in 1986 and Bulgaria was part of the Communist Block so we didn't get any information about the disaster, any at all. The State policy was "Nothing bad can happen or come from USSR" so of course there could not be a catastrophe, no, everything was in order. Unfortunately the radioactive cloud passed right over my country several days after the explosion aaaand it was raining aaaand it was 1st of May, very, very important holiday back then - as Labour Day it was hugely celebrated, communist regime was all about the workers, as you probably know. So everybody was forced to go out and march (especially school kids) in all sorts of parades (manifestations, we called them) under the radioactive rain. And nobody knew not to ear fresh leafy vegetables and not to drink milk. My uncle lived in Belgium at the time and called to warn my mum but she though he was brainwashed by the "Western propaganda". Pity that the propaganda in fact was working the other way round...

So now a lot of girls from my generation, myself included, have Hashimoto's disease for example. Endocrinologists tend to find connection with the event. But the most awful thing is it was a crime that the State committed against it's people. Keeping them in the dark.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to nousha For This Useful Post:

Arnie (06-04-2019)

Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 times
    Time Online
    1d 13h 9m
    Avg. Time Online
    1m
    I'm interested in watching it, but I heard some of the animal scenes were rough and for some reason, I'm okay with watching gore and violence and all kinds of crazy shit, but when animals get hurt or are hurting I CANNOT EFFING HANDLE IT. I'm still gonna give it a shot though, because the subject has always been interesting to me.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    48/0
    Mentioned
    22 times
    Time Online
    5d 6h 48m
    Avg. Time Online
    2m
    I'm going on Episode 2, I started watching last night and was sucked into it but was so tired from work I passed out. The first episode was amazing.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    5/0
    Mentioned
    6 times
    Time Online
    18d 21h 53m
    Avg. Time Online
    11m
    Quote Originally Posted by nousha View Post
    Yeah, the book is amazing. It's no wonder Svetlana Alexievitch won Nobel prize some years ago.

I won't watch the series because I've read the book and I was born in 1979 in Bulgaria, I was 7 in 1986 and Bulgaria was part of the Communist Block so we didn't get any information about the disaster, any at all. The State policy was "Nothing bad can happen or come from USSR" so of course there could not be a catastrophe, no, everything was in order. Unfortunately the radioactive cloud passed right over my country several days after the explosion aaaand it was raining aaaand it was 1st of May, very, very important holiday back then - as Labour Day it was hugely celebrated, communist regime was all about the workers, as you probably know. So everybody was forced to go out and march (especially school kids) in all sorts of parades (manifestations, we called them) under the radioactive rain. And nobody knew not to ear fresh leafy vegetables and not to drink milk. My uncle lived in Belgium at the time and called to warn my mum but she though he was brainwashed by the "Western propaganda". Pity that the propaganda in fact was working the other way round...

So now a lot of girls from my generation, myself included, have Hashimoto's disease for example. Endocrinologists tend to find connection with the event. But the most awful thing is it was a crime that the State committed against it's people. Keeping them in the dark.
    This was hard to read. Thank you for sharing.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Arnie For This Useful Post:

nousha (06-05-2019)