13/0
    Mentioned
    228 times
    Time Online
    35d 5h 59m
    Avg. Time Online
    14m

Desperate to free up space on this ridiculous laptop

So I have this laptop that only has 32 GB of space. The god damn updates literally take up 3/4 of it. I have exactly ONE program installed on it, Photoshop and it is only 1 GB. Everything else was pre-installed crap that I removed with Windows Powershell and successfully removed them using the following:

Get-AppxPackage *appname* | Remove-appxPackage

All were removed with the exception of Microsoft Edge which there is apparently no way to remove. Some removed parts but not all.
    I also "uninstalled" the last update that stole all my space but now after one that required a restart the list will no longer load and there are still five left.
    I also disabled automatic updates using services.msc because gpedit.msc was not on my computer. IT WILL NOT LET ME REMOVE THE UPDATE.

Is there anything I have still that I can safely remove and not harm the functionality of my computer?

It's an HP laptop that runs on Windows 10 Home Edition. I currently have the storage and my remaining programs shown below.

I literally worked on removing all that crap for over two hours and when I finally restarted to cement the changes windows installed the god damn update. I cannot explain the level of anger.

I now do not have enough space to do a restore point before the update. I would happily start over but disable windows updates first. Is there ANYTHING else I can do?

Thanks
    DL/UL
    21/0
    Mentioned
    61 times
    Time Online
    62d 11h 51m
    Avg. Time Online
    43m
    Try the W10 Enterprise Edition, it lacks all those useless apps that Windows installs.

PS: Also, try blocking the Windows Updater. Sometimes it overrides your config, but at least it doesn't update everytime.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Midas For This Useful Post:

Mr. 49 (06-03-2019)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    13/0
    Mentioned
    228 times
    Time Online
    35d 5h 59m
    Avg. Time Online
    14m
    Quote Originally Posted by Sad View Post
    Try the W10 Enterprise Edition, it lacks all those useless apps that Windows installs.

PS: Also, try blocking the Windows Updater. Sometimes it overrides your config, but at least it doesn't update everytime.
    You can install a different kind of windows? Apparently this is a hige problem with these laptops. When they were made, windows wasn't big so 32 was plenty but now they release massive updates that fuck up the computer. The apps that come with it is not the problem, I know how to remove them all now.

I did disable it. I want to factory reset and start everything over.

Thanks
    DL/UL
    21/0
    Mentioned
    61 times
    Time Online
    62d 11h 51m
    Avg. Time Online
    43m
    Quote Originally Posted by Whither View Post
    You can install a different kind of windows? Apparently this is a hige problem with these laptops. When they were made, windows wasn't big so 32 was plenty but now they release massive updates that fuck up the computer. The apps that come with it is not the problem, I know how to remove them all now.

I did disable it. I want to factory reset and start everything over.
    The factory reset will install the same OS (W10 Home Edition, right?)
    You can install your own OS through the BIOS startup with your own USB device (using Rufus to create a bootable ISO file)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    13/0
    Mentioned
    228 times
    Time Online
    35d 5h 59m
    Avg. Time Online
    14m
    Quote Originally Posted by Sad View Post
    The factory reset will install the same OS (W10 Home Edition, right?)
    You can install your own OS through the BIOS startup with your own USB device (using Rufus to create a bootable ISO file)

Lol I really wish I thought of the update before I started. I am computer savvy but to a point, but I don't have a USB. You don't see anything I can remove? I removed utorrent and photoshop but I still need another 2 gigs.

Thanks
    DL/UL
    21/0
    Mentioned
    61 times
    Time Online
    62d 11h 51m
    Avg. Time Online
    43m
    Hahaha, don't worry, is not as hard as it rings.
    Sadly not, there not so much that you can erase (if you are using cK programs there); my Windows folder has a... 20,3 GB disk usage right now. It's not much better anyway.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    13/0
    Mentioned
    228 times
    Time Online
    35d 5h 59m
    Avg. Time Online
    14m
    I am seriously about to lose it. I have been doing this since 11 this morning and every time I successfully remove and update this fucker restarts aND DOWNLOADS 3 MORE ARE YOU FUCKING SERIOUS

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    172/0
    Mentioned
    657 times
    Time Online
    182d 5h 28m
    Avg. Time Online
    1h 16m
    Honestly, if your laptop is that small, I'd look to buying a new one. I bought a new laptop for under $200 for my tech-illiterate mother. They don't have to be dear. 32GB gives you nothing these days.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mama Bear For This Useful Post:

Mr. 49 (06-03-2019),Synth Salazzle (05-12-2019)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    13/0
    Mentioned
    228 times
    Time Online
    35d 5h 59m
    Avg. Time Online
    14m
    Quote Originally Posted by Bacchus View Post
    Honestly, if your laptop is that small, I'd look to buying a new one. I bought a new laptop for under $200 for my tech-illiterate mother. They don't have to be dear. 32GB gives you nothing these days.
    It doesn't and tbh it was a real design flaw. When it was made it was made to run a small version of Windows, it was supposed to be the smallest one available on any laptop. However, Windows began releasing these HUGE accumulative updates that ended up rendering these useless unless you bought an external drive. Each update is almost 10g! I would LOVE to buy a new one but honestly any tablets or laptops I ever had were given to me when someone else got a new one, like my last one, and I got this one because my father died in November. He barely used it and the memory was so full. I did a wipe and was able to factory reset it. I only downloaded Photoshop and Cheat Engine and I was happy with it but now I want Sims 4 lol. So I went through all of that deleting and was so happy I had the space for all three! Until I restarted and updates installed themselves. I have so much (mainly my car) that I need to spend money on before I think about anything like a new laptop. Also, this one is very sentimental to me bc it was my Dad's.

The good news tho is I called Microsoft who surprisingly did not charge me, and she took control of my computer from India and deleted enough in like 3 minutes to do the reset lol. Also while we were waiting for the updates, she loves Game of Thrones and wished my mom a happy mother's day and they have work parties every friday and they are her favorite. We are best friends now.

What kind of laptop was it? Mine is an HP Stream, those blue ones lol. He said it was around that price when he got it as he was very excited and needed lessons lol.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    75/0
    Mentioned
    33 times
    Time Online
    22d 21h 36m
    Avg. Time Online
    11m
    Used laptops on Craigslist or watch your local facebook swap/trade/sell for even better deals on used laptops. 32GB is impossible to work with. It's just a gimmick used to sell 'small' or 'travel' size notebooks. Screw the SSD and just get a 500gb laptop that may be a little slower, but can do what you want for $50 used until you can afford what you really want.