35/0
    Mentioned
    2 times
    Time Online
    1d 5h 3m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A

Question Looking to Start programming as a career

Hey everyone looking to get into programming but don't know where to start. I have tried different things like sololearn and codeacademy. But I was wondering if you guys knew of any other resources or if you guys could help me become a programmer that would be great. I am very passionate about this profession just need help being pointed in the right direction. Feel free to post here or private message me I appreciate everyones response. Thanks in advance.
    Travis

*squeak*
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    34/1
    Mentioned
    1,751 times
    Time Online
    644d 29m
    Avg. Time Online
    3h 42m
    There are a lot of programming languages to choose from, and their uses may vary for certain devices and situations. For starters, do you have a particular problem that you'd like to code a solution for? Does that problem involve a specific kind of device, like a PC, Mac, smart phone or tablet? You may benefit from a hands-on approach to learning, so if you can come up with an idea that you'd like to act on, we may be able to guide you to the tools you'll need to get under way!

Saiyan Race
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    23/36
    Mentioned
    3,867 times
    Time Online
    563d 5h 25m
    Avg. Time Online
    3h 13m
    Check YouTube for tutorials. If you can think of something to make, like a timer or creating a text file programmatically containing words, I think this makes it easier to learn (when you know what you want to make).

Personally, I learn best when I can see results. I used Visual Studio since day 1 to make apps with an actual graphical user interface (GUI). But you could also try Python, where you see your code run in the console. Python also has libraries for creating GUI apps... but they are more advanced and I would recommend not going that route yet until you learn the basics. Good luck!
    (you need an account to see links)
    (you need an account to see links)(you need an account to see links)

------------------------
    [02/24/2013] Stealth CORE is made into the first standalone Neopets auto-player.
    ------------------------

4. The Following User Says Thank You to j03 For This Useful Post:

bluevitriol (07-10-2019)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    35/0
    Mentioned
    2 times
    Time Online
    1d 5h 3m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    Awesome guys I'll check out some tutorials as well as try to come up with a problem that I would like solved. In the meantime I have always wanted to make scripts like the ones here or for automation of my PC any recommendations on where to start with something like that
    Travis

*squeak*
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    34/1
    Mentioned
    1,751 times
    Time Online
    644d 29m
    Avg. Time Online
    3h 42m
    The scripts that I've submitted were developed using Microsoft Visual Studio. Their (you need an account to see links) is free, and includes useful tools for JavaScript programming! If you'd like to jump right in, I'd recommend installing (you need an account to see links) for Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox, then creating a "Hello World" style UserScript as a placeholder while you learn. Perhaps something like:

Code:
    // ==UserScript==
    // @author       TravisP1018
    //   @(you need an account to see links)cription  Sandbox!
    // @include      (you need an account to see links)
    //   @(you need an account to see links)         Hello From Travis
    //   @(you need an account to see links)space    Travis's Scripts
    // @require      (you need an account to see links)
    // @version      1.0
    // ==/UserScript==

(function () {

$(".content :first").before("Hello from Travis!<br><br>");
    })();
    This script will insert the text "Hello from Travis!" into every page you visit on Neopets, directly above the page's content, like this:

You can code your UserScript with Visual Studio's IDE, copy and paste it into Tampermonkey, save your changes, then observe them by refreshing whichever Neopets page you're on.

I'd recommend reading W3School's guide to (you need an account to see links). It describes common methods and properties within the DOM and HTML elements themselves that you're going to encounter each and every time you build a UserScript. Mozilla, the creators of the Firefox browser, also have a (you need an account to see links) for JavaScript as well.

Learning how to program with the jQuery API is a big plus. jQuery will dramatically cut down on the difficulty of sifting through complex layers of elements in web pages. I'd recommend both the (you need an account to see links) and the (you need an account to see links) guide for in-depth explanations.

Lastly, I suggest learning how to use your favorite browser's Development Tools, also known as DevTools, Web Development Tools and so on. Mozilla provides a (you need an account to see links) which describes what these tools are, and how you can use them for development. If you're looking for a crash course in a certain browser's tools, then here are guides for (you need an account to see links) and (you need an account to see links). You can use these tools to look around web page structures and familiarize yourself with how they design their HTML and JavaScript interfaces.
    Last edited by Bat; 04-17-2019 at 01:06 PM.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bat For This Useful Post:

j03 (04-17-2019),Salivating Slorg (04-17-2019),TravisP1018 (04-17-2019)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    35/0
    Mentioned
    2 times
    Time Online
    1d 5h 3m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    Quote Originally Posted by Odd View Post
    The scripts that I've submitted were developed using Microsoft Visual Studio. Their (you need an account to see links) is free, and includes useful tools for JavaScript programming! If you'd like to jump right in, I'd recommend installing (you need an account to see links) for Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox, then creating a "Hello World" style UserScript as a placeholder while you learn. Perhaps something like:

Code:
    // ==UserScript==
    // @author       TravisP1018
    //   @(you need an account to see links)cription  Sandbox!
    // @include      (you need an account to see links)
    //   @(you need an account to see links)         Hello From Travis
    //   @(you need an account to see links)space    Travis's Scripts
    // @require      (you need an account to see links)
    // @version      1.0
    // ==/UserScript==

(function () {

$(".content :first").before("Hello from Travis!<br><br>");
    })();
    This script will insert the text "Hello from Travis!" into every page you visit on Neopets, directly above the page's content, like this:

You can code your UserScript with Visual Studio's IDE, copy and paste it into Tampermonkey, save your changes, then observe them by refreshing whichever Neopets page you're on.

I'd recommend reading W3School's guide to (you need an account to see links). It describes common methods and properties within the DOM and HTML elements themselves that you're going to encounter each and every time you build a UserScript. Mozilla, the creators of the Firefox browser, also have a (you need an account to see links) for JavaScript as well.

Learning how to program with the jQuery API is a big plus. jQuery will dramatically cut down on the difficulty of sifting through complex layers of elements in web pages. I'd recommend both the (you need an account to see links) and the (you need an account to see links) guide for in-depth explanations.

Lastly, I suggest learning how to use your favorite browser's Development Tools, also known as DevTools, Web Development Tools and so on. Mozilla provides a (you need an account to see links) which describes what these tools are, and how you can use them for development. If you're looking for a crash course in a certain browser's tools, then here are guides for (you need an account to see links) and (you need an account to see links). You can use these tools to look around web page structures and familiarize yourself with how they design their HTML and JavaScript interfaces.
    Wow this is crazy informative! Thank you so much i appreciate it a lot i'm going to read all this material and dive head first into developing some user scripts. Hopefully I can post some good ones to the site that people will find useful.
    Travis

9. The Following User Says Thank You to TravisP1018 For This Useful Post:

team rocket (04-18-2019)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    6/0
    Mentioned
    7 times
    Time Online
    19h 35m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    Quote Originally Posted by TravisP1018 View Post
    Hey everyone looking to get into programming but don't know where to start. I have tried different things like sololearn and codeacademy. But I was wondering if you guys knew of any other resources or if you guys could help me become a programmer that would be great. I am very passionate about this profession just need help being pointed in the right direction. Feel free to post here or private message me I appreciate everyones response. Thanks in advance.
    That's awesome you're interested in programming!

Since you mentioned being interested in doing it as a career, check out Stackoverflow's 2019 developer survey at (you need an account to see links) There's a lot of information, but it might help point you at what technologies you should learn based on your interests and what tech is most in demand by potential employers. Javascript, ReactJS, Python, Django are really hot right now. Go (a programming language by Google) is gaining popularity as well. I'd recommend learning about Docker (containerization), Redis (in-memory key-value store) because both are extremely valuable and used by enterprises. Right now, you really can't go wrong by learning Python. Even if it's not the direction you end up going, after learning it, pickup up other languages will be easier.

I've taken a number of courses on coursera.org (but I think most things cost money now) and would recommend checking out some of the courses once you have an idea of some language and technologies you want to learn.

My final thought, AI / machine learning is going to be a *must* for any developer to know and understand. As you are more comfortable with coding, start thinking about learning that field. With a good understanding of how it works and how to put machine learning to use and build learning models, you can talk your way into any software job.

Good luck, and feel free to PM me with questions and we can trade contact info.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to drew010 For This Useful Post:

TravisP1018 (05-02-2019)