Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: What do you guys do for a living and do you feel fullfilled?

Pronouns
    lmao who cares
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    5/0
    Mentioned
    66 times
    Time Online
    23d 11h 37m
    Avg. Time Online
    8m
    I work in customer service and have been doing so for years. I know most people see the service industry as lesser and as a bad job or a job that you're just doing until you get a "real job", but I disagree. I like helping people and making them feel welcome and content. I've made a lot of friends out of customers, and actually care about their lives and they care about mine. So yeah I feel quite fulfilled in my job.

^^ Thanks to Menine for the icon & Gremlin for this userbar!

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Crow For This Useful Post:

DJ Music Man (05-16-2019),MadameNova (05-26-2019)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    13/0
    Mentioned
    9 times
    Time Online
    1d 22h 52m
    Avg. Time Online
    1m
    I love the differences in what people do!

I work in support services in schools. So not teaching, but dealing with issues of why they are not attending lessons/home life etc. Quite interesting just a shame no real job security as funding is cut year on year.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Undateable For This Useful Post:

DJ Music Man (05-16-2019)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    34/0
    Mentioned
    315 times
    Time Online
    49d 2h 15m
    Avg. Time Online
    16m

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Sci_Girl For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    DL/UL
    8/0
    Mentioned
    3 times
    Time Online
    1d 16h 8m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    i'm in the medical field, very content. can't complain except school debt, which i'm paying off monthly for the next 10 years

8. The Following User Says Thank You to frostgolem For This Useful Post:

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    10/0
    Mentioned
    Never
    Time Online
    1h 14m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    i tutor as a way to pay for college and general expenses. :-)
    it's pretty rewarding work, actually - especially when a student comes in and thanks me for my help because they finally got that 'A' on a paper!

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to swansong For This Useful Post:

DJ Music Man (05-16-2019),MadameNova (05-26-2019)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    10/1
    Mentioned
    3 times
    Time Online
    4d 2h 46m
    Avg. Time Online
    2m
    I currently study comp sci in college and I love it
    Also started to work for one of my teachers through scientific initiation and it's a lot of fun. Last year I went to a national conference to present some of my work and also watch all the other nice presentations. I don't plan on staying on the academic field though and am going to apply for an intership at a company where my friends work and see how it goes
    Last edited by Madotsuki; 04-28-2019 at 08:46 PM.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Madotsuki For This Useful Post:

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    45/0
    Mentioned
    38 times
    Time Online
    15d 1h 40m
    Avg. Time Online
    5m
    I've got a degree in Biology and I still love this subject, I'm not a biologist but I was teaching it for several years and now I'm a translator so it helps me tremendously with medical and scientific texts. I also have a degree in Linguistics, decided it would be nice to have. I also write about arts and culture as a journalist/author/reporter so my degree in Theatre Studies helps a bit. I'm lucky higher education in my country is very inexpensive
    I love my job. Would've loved to be a biologist ans work on the field with marine mammals specifically but you need to be really devoted to this career to make it happen. And I just wanted to do other things as well. The downside in translation is the low pay and the general perception that you just sit at home, drinking coffee and playing on the computer. But as I mostly translate films and books, every task is different and sometimes - interesting, you can also learn a lot about the world. Writing reviews about music, theatre plays and books is also fun. I don't think that I could settle with "ok job". It wouldn't leave me enough time to do the things I love.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to nousha For This Useful Post:

DJ Music Man (05-16-2019),Poem (04-30-2019),♥ PrettySarcastic ♥ (05-12-2019)

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    2/0
    Mentioned
    2 times
    Time Online
    25d 13h 47m
    Avg. Time Online
    13m
    I work as a shop assistant. I don't like it, but I have not degrees and no expertise in any other job.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Reddokitsune For This Useful Post:

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    41/0
    Mentioned
    247 times
    Time Online
    86d 16h 7m
    Avg. Time Online
    30m
    Quote Originally Posted by nousha View Post
    I've got a degree in Biology and I still love this subject, I'm not a biologist but I was teaching it for several years and now I'm a translator so it helps me tremendously with medical and scientific texts. I also have a degree in Linguistics, decided it would be nice to have. I also write about arts and culture as a journalist/author/reporter so my degree in Theatre Studies helps a bit. I'm lucky higher education in my country is very inexpensive
    I love my job. Would've loved to be a biologist ans work on the field with marine mammals specifically but you need to be really devoted to this career to make it happen. And I just wanted to do other things as well. The downside in translation is the low pay and the general perception that you just sit at home, drinking coffee and playing on the computer. But as I mostly translate films and books, every task is different and sometimes - interesting, you can also learn a lot about the world. Writing reviews about music, theatre plays and books is also fun. I don't think that I could settle with "ok job". It wouldn't leave me enough time to do the things I love.
    Honestly, your job sounds amazing. Sounds like the kind of job I would love to have if I were skilled enough in another language.
    And three degrees? Wow! You are so impressive!

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    21/0
    Mentioned
    5 times
    Time Online
    2d 21h 3m
    Avg. Time Online
    1m
    Human Resources associate.
    Surprisingly very boring most of the time, but it pays decently and certainly isn't difficult.
    Not a job I'd call fulfilling, but I've never really had any sort of dream career, so I'm happy enough with how things are.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to LexieSkye For This Useful Post: