Uploads
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Time Online
    18 d 11 h 34 m
    Avg. Time Online
    11 m

Post Actually Starting My Book Series

Intro: Okay so back in 2010-ish I joined a wolf rp guild on Neopets. We ended up moving off-site and roleplayed for like 2+ years there. I spent so much of my free time doing that (no regrets) and even when we fizzled out I realized I was still super attached to my characters. From there I kept building on to those characters, jotting down details about them and adding on with more characters, etc. I started writing pieces of what I figured would eventually be a book series. My sister was always a really big supporter of me and loved hearing about my characters and their stories. I've been adding onto them ever since, but oftentimes I'll just jot down quick scenes or details I've come up with. I haven't actually sat down and tried writing it really....

Until now!

About a month ago, one of my good friends (who is also my housemate) and I were having a long chat in the kitchen that turned into us sharing our writings. I shared some thing I wrote for a college a while back and somehow it made him tear up and he exclaimed that I was a fantastic writer! I was like "lol ok but that's my old writing I'm not even proud of that tbh so here let me show you some of my more recent stuff". He liked that too. So I decided to take the dive and share with him some of my wolf book series stuff (which I usually don't share with people because it's so close to my heart--characters I've been building on for 10+ years bro). And he LOVED IT. He was like "dude you need to write this for real what the fuck are you doing!!! you could be a real author! this is good shit! I don't usually compliment people's writing because I'm very critical but this is actually really good! no seriously I'm actually jealous I wish I was this good!" I'm a person who doesn't really like the spotlight so I was blushing and like "lol ok thanks dude" but tried to brush him off. But he kept going and he got really loud and adamant about it. He told me that he's got a bunch of (poetry) authors in his family and thus has connections and could help get me published. I was like "whoa really dude you actually think this stuff is worth writing?" and then he found a piece of paper and scribbled something aggressively and handed it to me. It said "finish book 1 by april 15 OR ELSE (250+ words)". I was like "lol what's OR ELSE mean?" and he just kept shouting OR ELSE.

Anyway, it's not gonna be done by April 15th, but his vigor and enthusiasm was honestly the motivation I've needed all these years. So I've been actually writing it. Actually figuring all the nitty gritty details out, at least that which I'd need to finish the first book (will probably be 4-5 books in the end). It's a lot of info cuz tbh this book focuses so much on the characters and their relationships and history and there are 10+ main characters sooooo yeah you can imagine how many things I gotta make sure of. So it's actually pretty stressful trying to actually write down all the details I need and go forth with literally writing out chapters. But man it's GETTING DONE. After all these years I'm actually writing it!

I'm super thankful for my friend/housemate and so proud of myself to be working on this. This is a book (series) I care a lot about and would love for other people to read and enjoy. (My inspiration comes from the Redwall series by Brian Jacques and also the Ratha/The Named series by Clare Bell; so think of fantasy personified wolves and yeah that's me. I've never read the Warrior books but I'm sure people who loved those would also be into this.) I constantly create books and characters but I doubt I'll publish most of them. But this one for sure will be!

Anywayyyyy I just wanted to share this somewhere because I'm pretty stoked to actually be going at it! Whenever I get the damn thing published I'll be sure to let ya'll now!

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Crow For This Useful Post:

I_royalty_I (03-29-2019),Midas (04-19-2019),MKM (01-01-2020),Poem (03-29-2019),ps: (04-19-2019),Stocking Anarchy (04-22-2019)

Thanks

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    247 Post(s)
    Time Online
    85 d 19 h 55 m
    Avg. Time Online
    48 m
    Yay! Starting is the first step, but a huge one.

Now go get out there and actually write OR ELSE

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Poem For This Useful Post:

Crow (03-29-2019)

Thanks

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Time Online
    8 d 15 h 20 m
    Avg. Time Online
    8 m
    @Crow

I know it's been awhile since this was created, but I'd love an update about how this is coming along?
    Reading this experience was an amazing rollercoaster- I hope everything's going great !!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to ps: For This Useful Post:

Crow (04-19-2019)

US, Eastern seaboard
    Thanks

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Time Online
    18 d 11 h 34 m
    Avg. Time Online
    11 m
    Quote Originally Posted by pietrosauntine View Post
    @Crow

I know it's been awhile since this was created, but I'd love an update about how this is coming along?
    Reading this experience was an amazing rollercoaster- I hope everything's going great !!
    Hey, thanks for checking in! It's going pretty well. I'm on chapter 4 (which doesn't sound like much of a progression but that's because I'm a perfectionist lol). I hit the brakes because I realized I needed to know important details like what the main location looks like and what the borderline territories are like and where it's actually located. Also realized I need to know what age each character is when certain things happen to them. I've also been working on their extensive family trees. So all that put a stop on actually writing the book, but I'm getting back into it now. ^^

Katie

Australia
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,754 Posts

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    541 Post(s)
    Time Online
    152 d 7 h 18 m
    Avg. Time Online
    1 h 52 m
    I somehow missed this. Great job with the writing. Having someone who is keen for it is definitely a motivation; that's what pushed me to finish my novel earlier this year. I know what you mean about needing to get all the background stuff sorted out first, too. Definitely better to have a clear understanding of all of the factors involved so you don't inadvertently contradict yourself down the track. Keep up informed with how it all goes.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Mama Bear For This Useful Post:

Crow (04-20-2019)

US, Eastern seaboard
    Thanks

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Time Online
    18 d 11 h 34 m
    Avg. Time Online
    11 m
    Quote Originally Posted by Bacchus View Post
    I somehow missed this. Great job with the writing. Having someone who is keen for it is definitely a motivation; that's what pushed me to finish my novel earlier this year. I know what you mean about needing to get all the background stuff sorted out first, too. Definitely better to have a clear understanding of all of the factors involved so you don't inadvertently contradict yourself down the track. Keep up informed with how it all goes.
    Thank you! My biggest problem is really the fact that I have a whole series of characters and their stories in my head, and I'm trying to write the first book. So I've got to reel back before all their growth and try and remember and capture what they were all like originally.

Thanks

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Time Online
    8 d 15 h 20 m
    Avg. Time Online
    8 m
    @Bacchus
    I TOTALLY agree with the outside motivation. Although it's exciting to have the ideas and everything all in our heads, it can be hard to find the motivation to actually just... get it out! Hahaha

@Crow
    That's great to hear! Nice to hear the progress has happened. It's funny to hear that you need to slow down and backtrack to the character's origins/beginning of their story because i can relate to that! Things just seem to snowball on and it can be hard to write about the start when they've progressed so much already hahaha. Don't stress it too much, definitely just go with the flow with all your ideas.
    As a side note, you may have heard of NaNoWriMo? It's national writing month which happens every November of each year where basically HEAPS of people all get together (both virtually and irl) and all set writing goals and try to write everyday of the month to reach it. I know November is ways off but they do hold monthly(i think?) bootcamps that's basically similar to the November event but just smaller versions. They have these fun virtual "cabins" where you get paired with people depending on what filter you select: random, based on upon your books genre, etc. And you can get feedback or motivation from each of the "campers"- it's incredibly fun and motivating!

So happy to hear your progress; can't wait to see your journey continue!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to ps: For This Useful Post:

Crow (04-22-2019)

Katie

Australia
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,754 Posts

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    541 Post(s)
    Time Online
    152 d 7 h 18 m
    Avg. Time Online
    1 h 52 m
    Quote Originally Posted by pietrosauntine View Post
    @Bacchus
    I TOTALLY agree with the outside motivation. Although it's exciting to have the ideas and everything all in our heads, it can be hard to find the motivation to actually just... get it out! Hahaha

@Crow
    That's great to hear! Nice to hear the progress has happened. It's funny to hear that you need to slow down and backtrack to the character's origins/beginning of their story because i can relate to that! Things just seem to snowball on and it can be hard to write about the start when they've progressed so much already hahaha. Don't stress it too much, definitely just go with the flow with all your ideas.
    As a side note, you may have heard of NaNoWriMo? It's national writing month which happens every November of each year where basically HEAPS of people all get together (both virtually and irl) and all set writing goals and try to write everyday of the month to reach it. I know November is ways off but they do hold monthly(i think?) bootcamps that's basically similar to the November event but just smaller versions. They have these fun virtual "cabins" where you get paired with people depending on what filter you select: random, based on upon your books genre, etc. And you can get feedback or motivation from each of the "campers"- it's incredibly fun and motivating!

So happy to hear your progress; can't wait to see your journey continue!
    See, I get the idea behind NaNoWriMo, but it just makes writing feel the cheesy thing that everyone's doing, rather than because it's a passion project. I guess that's just me though. We've had the writing event here a couple of times, where you have a different challenge for every day of the month. Unfortunately, there's usually very few who actually follow through with it!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Mama Bear For This Useful Post:

Crow (04-22-2019)

Thanks

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Time Online
    8 d 15 h 20 m
    Avg. Time Online
    8 m
    Quote Originally Posted by Bacchus View Post
    See, I get the idea behind NaNoWriMo, but it just makes writing feel the cheesy thing that everyone's doing, rather than because it's a passion project. I guess that's just me though. We've had the writing event here a couple of times, where you have a different challenge for every day of the month. Unfortunately, there's usually very few who actually follow through with it!
    No, I totally understand this point of view. I often see NaNoWriMo that way too; however, I think when i see and first hand experience the effects it has on people I've met who have done, or who were doing, the event it always seemed like a positive thing? I guess lots of people just needed that "kick" per se, or the community of supporters they may not have found otherwise?

Eitherway, even if many take it more of a sideshow rather than a passion, I still believe it's great that people set goals they wouldnt necessarily have done without the event- even if they dont follow through, unfortunately.

US, Eastern seaboard
    Thanks

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Time Online
    18 d 11 h 34 m
    Avg. Time Online
    11 m
    Not to graveyard dig, but I really wanted to give ya'll an update because I'm actually really excited/proud!

So I promised my friend I'd at least get the first book done by November 15th and I'm already nearly done. I've figured out what I want the last 4-5 chapters to be. So far I'm at 48,536 words (way over 250 words, friend! lol) and I still have more to write + lots to edit!

I'm just really blown away by myself and never imagined I'd actually get here! Once I finish the first rough draft, I'm going to do a lot of re-reading and really fleshing it out making sure I'm covering everything I want to. I also have to better understand the lands in my book and really flesh them out, and just fix all the rough bits thrown in there. Then I'll start letting close friends read it and give me their input. Only after then will I actually start the baby steps of pursuing getting the damn thing published!

Eeeeeeeeee I'm just so thrilled about all this! Publishing is not at all about money for me. This book series is my heart and soul. It's been a part of me for so long and the characters and their stories are so important to me. I want to share them with people! As soon as I'm confident with the first book, I'm going to start writing the second one. ^^

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Crow For This Useful Post:

Erik. (08-13-2019)