Mentioned
    61 times
    Time Online
    62d 11h 51m
    Avg. Time Online
    44m

Post Are Forums obsolete in 2019?

What do you think about it?
    I've been following Old Communities lately, and almost 90% of them moved into a Discord Server because "nowadays, nobody likes Forums anymore". Call me oldie, but I love Forums, specially phpbb2-3 and vBulletin ones. I consider them very useful and ordered, and beautiful, I don't know.
    Are they forgetting about us?
    Am I obsessed with avatars, signatures and post counters?

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Midas For This Useful Post:

pinkpain (02-23-2019),Poem (02-21-2019)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    41/0
    Mentioned
    247 times
    Time Online
    86d 16h 7m
    Avg. Time Online
    30m
    Yes, definitely! I miss the forum days. There are definitely some around that are active, like CK, but the heyday was definitely passed.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Poem For This Useful Post:

Midas (02-21-2019)

Saiyan Race
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    23/36
    Mentioned
    3,867 times
    Time Online
    563d 4h 55m
    Avg. Time Online
    3h 13m
    Maybe new websites choose not to go with the forum-like platform (vB, phpbb, etc) but lots of forum websites are still very, very active. Just look at all the car forums... Any topic you can think of, I'm sure there's a forum with a community still actively posting.

Plus, look at us after 7 years. Activity has only gone up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    (you need an account to see links)
    (you need an account to see links)(you need an account to see links)

------------------------
    [02/24/2013] Stealth CORE is made into the first standalone Neopets auto-player.
    ------------------------

6. The Following User Says Thank You to j03 For This Useful Post:

Midas (02-21-2019)

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    172/0
    Mentioned
    657 times
    Time Online
    182d 5h 28m
    Avg. Time Online
    1h 16m
    I'd say that forums aren't obsolete. Chats like discord allow for a more instantaneous conversation with greater ease, but this is also their disadvantage in my eyes. When I wake up to 300 new discord posts, it's much harder to read through them all because they're not separated into distinct threads. I can't pick and choose if someone is going to be interesting/relevant to me as much, so will often have to scroll through a whole heap of crap and memes I wasn't a part of before I actually find meaningful ideas again. They're also much more difficult for new members to be able to find necessary information, because there isn't the archive of years of knowledge in posts.

8. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Mama Bear For This Useful Post:

itoshii (08-22-2019),j03 (02-21-2019),Midas (02-21-2019),pinkpain (02-23-2019),Poem (02-21-2019),Politoed (02-25-2019),RealisticError (02-21-2019),Stardew (02-22-2019),Teakwood (03-13-2019)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    36/0
    Mentioned
    133 times
    Time Online
    55d 3h 58m
    Avg. Time Online
    37m
    I agree with bacchus, discord goes wild too easily and you can never catch up, also the interface doesn’t lend itself to multiple conversations like a forum with user-created threads does. I much prefer this style of communication to discord

10. The Following User Says Thank You to RealisticError For This Useful Post:

Midas (02-21-2019)

Thanks
    DL/UL
    5/0
    Mentioned
    44 times
    Time Online
    20d 5h 38m
    Avg. Time Online
    10m
    I actively use both discord and forums; but categorize them differently in my head.

TBH, I do avoid the really large discord servers when I can, because you can shout til your hoarse and still be overlooked.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Maelstra For This Useful Post:

Midas (02-21-2019),♥ PrettySarcastic ♥ (02-22-2019)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    20/0
    Mentioned
    12 times
    Time Online
    21d 15h 32m
    Avg. Time Online
    16m
    They're different styles of conversation, tbh. Discord is a chatroom vs a forum which is... a forum. Forums are better for an aggregation of information and Discord is better for spontaneous conversation that can last hours.

I'd compare Discord to IRC sooner than I would to a forum. I vastly prefer Discord, though. I like having the ability to delete my posts if I say something stupid. And it's nowhere near as public. (Depending on the server, I suppose)

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Shoyru For This Useful Post:

Midas (02-22-2019),pinkpain (02-23-2019)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    75/0
    Mentioned
    33 times
    Time Online
    22d 21h 36m
    Avg. Time Online
    11m
    Forums are not obsolete, but the way people utilize them has changed significantly since the release of applications like Discord and Slack. The introduction of Skype gave us a very standardized platform and in a way made most other chat platforms (AIM/Yahoo/Live(MSN)) obsolete. I would argue that the combination of discord and slack has made Skype now obsolete, though it is still a flavor of choice for some. Discord has had a far bigger impact on Teamspeak and Ventrilo, than any other sort of application. We can even look at reddit as a platform that has taken away some forum popularity. As a result of these sort of programs with multi-channel, multi-role management based chat applications, the utilization of forums are not as strong as they once were for certain topics or groups. An example would be Guild Forums, which used to be a sort of staple-point in higher end guilds for MMO gaming usually delivered through Enjin CMS or perhaps a simple PHPBB 2/3 forum or dare I refer back to proboards which still exists. I think it really has changed what you're trying to create a communication system for.

We can easily compare this to the absolute crap that is the guild chat/forum on Neopets. A rather useless function that primarily exists for the sake of existing or to create a requirement of X posts to achieve X thing. In this sort of application, a discord server would be plenty. Whereas for a site like Clraik that can offer a wide range of topics not limited to one specific portion, as evidenced by boards, sub-boards, etc. a forum makes sense. I think this is why many forums have begun to die off as the content being delivered is not delivered optimally through a forum in the first place and can be done as a series of conversations over a discord channel in the right context with mature users not spamming up the channel. One such instance is a discord channel I belong to for Overwatch where you have to essentially register through a google form and be invited personally by an admin, and the amount of bot functions required to navigate through various channels is quite intuitive. It would not make sense for this to be done in a forum format to do an endless amount of looking for group posts, etc. but would have been the route to go pre-discord, you can still find LFG posts for GTA Online via reddit or LFG for league posts on League of Legends boards.

I think really where forums hit their groove now is:
    1) You must provide content that exists for reference
    2) Said content is large enough where searching is preferred
    3) The amount of users is greater than 100-200 for such a community
    4) The content must be lengthy enough so that it makes sense to not have it in discord
    5) If a discord is incorporated into the same community that holds a forum, there must be a clear distinction of what is allowed in the discord vs. forum posts

I think clraik handles this well. I don't see ridiculous 2000+ character copy/pasted jellyneo guides in the discord channels for the sake of having content, and I do not see the random nature of spam on the boards where even the spam section has a more distinguished feel than the literal spam that sometimes comes across the discord server for clraik. Spam defined here as people chatting just to chat, not as advertisements, etc.

All in all, yes I think between reddit/discord/slack forums have become obsolete for certain forms of content and communities, but there is still content that really only makes sense to present in a forum based CMS.
    Last edited by Byte; 02-22-2019 at 10:38 PM.

16. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Byte For This Useful Post:

eltiolukee (02-25-2019),j03 (02-23-2019),Mama Bear (02-22-2019),Midas (02-22-2019),pinkpain (02-23-2019)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    29/0
    Mentioned
    2 times
    Time Online
    1d 5h 58m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    As a matter of fact, i've been missing this "old" aspect of the internet. Nowadays with the speed of social networks, it's nice to get back to the original, not-so-fast-paced method of posting in a thread, reviewing past replies, being able to talk about 40 different things at the same time without having to rush your thought fearing that the conversation could be lost in sea of quick pictures, likes and comments.

Fuck i feel old

18. The Following User Says Thank You to eltiolukee For This Useful Post:

Midas (02-25-2019)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    39/0
    Mentioned
    12 times
    Time Online
    21d 9h 46m
    Avg. Time Online
    14m

i always will love forums sigh

i cant recieve private messages on here im not ignoring u

20. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Milly For This Useful Post:

Maki (02-25-2019),Midas (02-26-2019),Politoed (02-25-2019),seranymm (06-21-2019)