Thread: Who wants to talk D&D (and other ttrpg games!)

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    25/0
    Mentioned
    155 times
    Time Online
    51d 6h 2m
    Avg. Time Online
    30m

Who wants to talk D&D (and other ttrpg games!)

I noticed there wasnt really a topic for Dungeons & Dragons, so I figured I would make one.

I've been playing regularly for 2 years (played a handful of times before that, but nothing serious) and started DMing my first campaign last week.

I figure this could be a spot for DMs to get advice, players to ask questions/get help, talk about characters and everything else involving table top rpgs (:

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Goddammit For This Useful Post:

Madotsuki (04-24-2019),Poem (02-20-2019)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    41/0
    Mentioned
    247 times
    Time Online
    86d 16h 7m
    Avg. Time Online
    30m
    Hihi! I'm not an experienced player so I can't really give advice. But I'd love to lurk this thread and learn how to better be a DM :3

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Poem For This Useful Post:

Goddammit (02-21-2019)

Thanks
    DL/UL
    21/0
    Mentioned
    61 times
    Time Online
    62d 11h 51m
    Avg. Time Online
    44m
    I've never played D&D before, but I'm a Forum Role lover, since... 2006 or something. I'm actually working in a project about a collective writting book/game/something. We are building our own world, with original characters and lores.
    I'd like to see more about it around here �

I'll tag my brother, because he is a very nice DM IRL @(you need an account to see links)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Midas For This Useful Post:

Goddammit (02-21-2019)

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    25/0
    Mentioned
    155 times
    Time Online
    51d 6h 2m
    Avg. Time Online
    30m
    Quote Originally Posted by Poem View Post
    Hihi! I'm not an experienced player so I can't really give advice. But I'd love to lurk this thread and learn how to better be a DM :3
    I'm totally new to DMing myself, but before I started my campaign up, I scoured the interwebs for advice and my two favorite pieces were

1. This is not you vs your players. When they ask to do something or try something, try to say yes as much as possible. If the roll determines success, make it fun and interesting. If the roll determines a fail, still make it fun and interesting! If someone asks something, to quote Matt Mercer "You can certainly try!"

2. Be sure to do your prep work. Have at least a rough outline going into the session. I personally detail my plans as much as possible and try to plan for as many outcomes as possible, tbh I probably do too much work. But you should also be prepared to throw all that work out the window because your players will surprise you and go into completely different directions so it's really important to be able to think on the fly.

---------- Post added at 03:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:37 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Sad View Post
    I've never played D&D before, but I'm a Forum Role lover, since... 2006 or something. I'm actually working in a project about a collective writting book/game/something. We are building our own world, with original characters and lores.
    I'd like to see more about it around here �

I'll tag my brother, because he is a very nice DM IRL @(you need an account to see links)
    I lovelovelovelovelove world building! Its one of the main things I do on Neopets too, lol. I'd love to hear more about it! If you need help/suggestions/wanna run ideas by someone on the outside, I'm here for ya, buddy <3

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Goddammit For This Useful Post:

Midas (02-21-2019),Poem (02-21-2019)

Thanks
    DL/UL
    21/0
    Mentioned
    61 times
    Time Online
    62d 11h 51m
    Avg. Time Online
    44m
    Seriously? Thanks!
    I could translate something into English someday!
    We still need some cities and places, so I could ask for suggestions as soon as I get a decent connection haha

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Midas For This Useful Post:

Goddammit (03-03-2019)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    41/0
    Mentioned
    247 times
    Time Online
    86d 16h 7m
    Avg. Time Online
    30m
    @(you need an account to see links) Thanks for the advice <3

PS. Since you mentioned you were into Worldbuilding, have you seen the subreddit /r/worldbuilding? Tons of good resources & worlds there! @(you need an account to see links) you too highly recommend!!

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Poem For This Useful Post:

Goddammit (03-03-2019),Midas (02-21-2019)

Pronouns
    minty/fresh
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    54/0
    Mentioned
    1,231 times
    Time Online
    340d 22h 31m
    Avg. Time Online
    1h 59m
    I love D&D! I started around this time last year. Found a group within my University and have been playing since I consider myself pretty lucky to have gotten a good group on my first try. The next few months are going to be rather bittersweet though as my DM is graduating this year and is moving away to the US for work, so we'll have to play on Roll20 for the foreseeable future. shakes fist at R20

How's your campaign going? Are you running a module, or are you playing a homebrewed world?

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Maki For This Useful Post:

Goddammit (03-03-2019)

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    25/0
    Mentioned
    155 times
    Time Online
    51d 6h 2m
    Avg. Time Online
    30m
    Quote Originally Posted by Sad View Post
    Seriously? Thanks!
    I could translate something into English someday!
    We still need some cities and places, so I could ask for suggestions as soon as I get a decent connection haha
    omg yes, I would love to read it if/when you're able to translate No rush though!

---------- Post added at 08:41 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:41 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Poem View Post
    @(you need an account to see links) Thanks for the advice <3

PS. Since you mentioned you were into Worldbuilding, have you seen the subreddit /r/worldbuilding? Tons of good resources & worlds there! @(you need an account to see links) you too highly recommend!!
    I haven't subbed to that yet, but I'm going to! I'm currently subbed to DND, DMAcademy and a sub for the campaign I'm currently running.

---------- Post added at 08:46 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:41 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Mint View Post
    I love D&D! I started around this time last year. Found a group within my University and have been playing since I consider myself pretty lucky to have gotten a good group on my first try. The next few months are going to be rather bittersweet though as my DM is graduating this year and is moving away to the US for work, so we'll have to play on Roll20 for the foreseeable future. shakes fist at R20

How's your campaign going? Are you running a module, or are you playing a homebrewed world?
    I played a long time ago, in high school and we had no idea what we were doing lol But I started seriously playing about two years ago when I met my bf. He roped me into playing with some of his friends so I'm glad that we all meshed well because my group is a small group from the original group I played with. My roommate just started playing on Roll20 and he found something they had called quick game, or something like that? Basically if you have a character you want to play, it quick matches you with people who are online and also wanting to play, from how I understand it. But he said Roll20 is pretty easy to use, so I think you'll have a good time there. I've never tried it but we probably will for another campaign I'm part of as one of our players just moved out of state.

My campaign is going well! We're heading into session 3 this week. I'm running Waterdeep: Dragon Heist with some flavoring that I found on reddit to sort of enchance it. It should take my players from lvls 1-5 and then after that, we'll be doing Dungeon of the Mad Mage. I don't think I'm ready for coming up with my own homebrew yet.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Goddammit For This Useful Post:

Midas (03-03-2019)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    10/1
    Mentioned
    3 times
    Time Online
    4d 2h 46m
    Avg. Time Online
    2m
    Sorry if late but TTRPGs are my favorite thing so I didn't want to skip this thread!!
    I have been playing for years with the same groups of friends. We alternate between the members who like to DM (I'm one of them) and do all sorts of campaigns. I love DMing Vampire The Masquerade, it's been my specialty for years! But I've also done other things like Cyberpunk and even this one time we wanted to do an Avatar The Last Airbender one-shot. I'm currently reading about Shadowrun and preparing a campaign for that.

As for D&D, it's not really my thing to DM but playing it is super fun too. I think the tips you got there on DMing are just about right. Don't ever go for the you vs them mentality because it sucks. As I've read on a rulebook this one time, TTRPGS are all about co-operative storytelling, so never forget that!
    I strongly reccomend you go to Matthew Colville's channel on YouTube if you want more DM tips and running campaigns in general, his videos are great and he really knows his stuff!

Also one quick tip: try to add sound ambience and music to your campaigns. It really helps set the mood and create the feeling of immersion. The website Tabletop Audio is great for that (and YouTube, of course).