172/0
    Mentioned
    657 times
    Time Online
    182d 5h 28m
    Avg. Time Online
    1h 16m

Pokemon Let's GO! Eevee - first impressions

So our preorder of Let's GO! Eevee arrived on Friday. We weren't really sure what to expect with it, but I've been pleasantly surprised. We're in that storyline labyrinth between Gyms 3 and 4 (Lavender Town, Silph Co etc) at the momen. We also have NOT done any Pokemon Go connectivity at this point. That said, here are my thoughts so far.

Positive 1: It's almost a complete redo of the original Blue/Red games. For me, who believes Gen 1 and 2 were by far the best games, I enjoy the nostalgia of what I played as a kid being reborn for kids today.

Positive 2: This one will definitely be a negative for many long-term Pokemon players, but for my particular circumstances it's a good thing - it's easier. I'm usually opposed to nerfing games, but since I am a Mama nowadays, I think this would actually be a really good introduction to Pokemon for my kids in a couple of years. It still has catching, battles, puzzles etc, but there is a bit more hand-holding (e.g., you're not allowed to challenge Misty until you're lvl 15+) that are more child-friendly.

Positive 3: While limited, there is 2 player utility. This makes catching Pokemon easier (there's what we're calling WonderTwin Mode when you both sync your throw) and makes the majority of battles 2v1. Key story fights (Rival, Jesse and James, Gym Leaders etc) don't work with second player battling though, but the rest of the time you can. I could see a parent 'helping' as player 2 to their child who may not be strategic enough to otherwise succeed fully. Edit: apparently I'd underestimated what counted as "master battles"- you can battle gyms and even the Elite Four with a 2v1 advantage. This seems even more broken as fuck now, so much so that I'd call it a negative overall now.

Positive 4: All your party Pokemon have an automatic EXP Share upon capturing/battling. It's part of what makes the game easier overall; we had a Magikarp named BadDragon (NSFW google if you dare) that we passively got to evolution fairly quickly.

Positive 5: Ridable Pokemon are super cute. Snorlax and Kangaskhan are probably the more adorable methods.

Negative 1: The catching system can take some getting used to, as there is sometimes random delay with when you throw versus when it shows it in-game. We've had perfect syncs IRL and been like .5 sec apart in-game, and vice-versa. This can make getting WonderTwin Mode inconsistent. For not having a motion sensor bar or anything though, it's still pretty impressive.

Negative 2: The following system for the 2nd Pokemon, or the 2nd player and their following Pokemon, can be a bit annoying. Particularly if you're trying to pick up invisible items, your Pokemon may in the way and you talk to them instead. The 2nd player can't interact with the overworld, so they can't initiate Pokemon or trainer fights, pick up items etc. I also found that P2 gets lost easily because the camera is focused on P1. It's not hard to 'shake back in', but it can be annoying as opposed to having a better ability to keep up.

Negative 3: They removed HMs, which I find odd. Cut is "Chop Down", Flash is "Light Up", and these are learned by your starter (Eevee in my case). I'm yet to see how they try to justify Surf and Fly on a fucking Eevee or Pikachu, but it just seems unnecessary to have done this. The game tries to make it that the trainer themselves are going to be taught, but that your starter is 'special' and wants to do it instead. It negates the need for a HM slave, but overall is a nerf that I think goes too far. Edit: Ok, so we just got "Sky Dash" (Fly). It's a bike attached to balloons. Wow. So stupid.

Negative 4: In one of the early Pokemon Centers there was a circus-looking guy who offered to teach my starter special moves. Bouncy Bubble, Buzzy Buzz and Sizzling Slide, or close to those words. These were a water, electric and fire move, respectively, and all way too OP for how early they were offered. Eevee was also able to learn all 3 if I wanted. The water did damage and healed, electric did damage and paralysed and fire did damage and burned. I get that they don't let our starter Eevee evolve into Flareon, Jolteon or Vaporeon, but this offer seemed broken. I googled to find more information about this point, and found the following:

As you can see, Eevee has heaps more special moves available to it, which correspond to the different Eeveelutions.

There's also some aspects which I am not sure about being negative or positive.

Undecided 1: The removal of the PC system. You carry all your Pokemon with you. This makes things a fucktonne easier, because if your party all hurt, you can instantly switch your party to freshies without going to a PC. With the combat system already easier overall with P2, I think this is unnecessary and makes things too easy. Early game, we've only really ever visited Nurse Joy because of PP.

Undecided 2: Unwanted Pokemon can be sent to Oak in exchange for candy. These replace the minerals like Calcium, Iron etc. that used to increase particular stats of Pokemon in the original games. Some are broad, like Health Candy, which can be given to any Pokemon. Health Candy L can only be given to those 30+. Others are species specific, like Eevee Candy, which boosts all stats on the recipient. I'm leaning towards negative for this, because it is yet another way of making it too easy overall. We pumped our BadDragon full of candies to 'roid him up. I get that they needed to do something to get rid of the unwanted Pokemon caught, and to incentivise catching them, but it allows for additional buffing of Pokemon that don't even need it.

Undecided 3: Game Corner doesn't have any function (kinda expected that, since they'd started removing gambling in later games), so idk how you're supposed to get a Porygon yet without porting one in from GO.

TLDR; it's a Gen 1 reboot that allows for 2P limited interactions. Overall, the game is much easier than the originals, so is a good bridge for younger/newer fans than it would be for seasoned Pokemon trainers.

By the way, here are the banned names we've found so far:

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Mama Bear For This Useful Post:

Blue-tooth (11-20-2018),Clefairy (11-19-2018),morpheme (11-21-2018),Pestix (11-17-2018),Solitaire                      (11-24-2021)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    4/0
    Mentioned
    1 time
    Time Online
    1d 16h 1m
    Avg. Time Online
    1m
    Sales data is out.
    Apparently it's the worst selling title of the series (mainline), but pretty high in the spin-off rankings (though not the top either).
    An unforeseenly lukewarm market reception for something that was marketed this heavily, even compared to the real pokemon games.

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    172/0
    Mentioned
    657 times
    Time Online
    182d 5h 28m
    Avg. Time Online
    1h 16m
    Quote Originally Posted by Mardan View Post
    Sales data is out.
    Apparently it's the worst selling title of the series (mainline), but pretty high in the spin-off rankings (though not the top either).
    An unforeseenly lukewarm market reception for something that was marketed this heavily, even compared to the real pokemon games.
    (you need an account to see links)
    That might be so, but it's the fastest selling switch game since the console's release. I think much of the problem is the fact that many people don't have a switch yet. We didn't buy one until Pokemon came out.

Something else that I really enjoy is that you can have MULTIPLE SAVES. Our friend played on our console and I just made a separate user profile and voila! My save was separate.

Pronouns
    She/Her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    3/0
    Mentioned
    5 times
    Time Online
    3d 20h 32m
    Avg. Time Online
    5m
    I stopped playing mainline Pokémon games several generations ago. I was given a second hand copy of Let's Go Eevee and honestly really enjoyed it. Still haven't finished it, but it's a nice nostalgia trip and I like how easy it is because I was never a super serious Pokémon trainer.