83/0
    Mentioned
    46 times
    Time Online
    11d 6h 55m
    Avg. Time Online
    4m

Need help with ideas

Hey guys. With it nearing the end of the semester, I have to come up with a final project for my Python course. I was hoping I might be able to get some ideas. It's obviously worth a lot of my grade, and I have a really bad history of picking very over complicated projects (primarily when I've done essays and artwork), running short on time, then having to scrap it and work on something very low quality to make up for all the time I've lost. Basically, I'm really bad at choosing something that fits with my skill level and being able to finish it appropriately.
    The class has just recently gone over arrays for the first time and started using Bottle on PythonAnywhere, to give you an idea of where we're at. It's the first course the college requires you to take in the Computer Science field. (finally got to switch to this college recently after several years of community college, yay) The hardest thing I've done so far is made a "card game", except all it really did was create arrays to assign the 52 cards to a suit and number, then "dealt" 5 cards to the player and 5 to the user. It didn't actually "play", so to speak. And not gonna lie, I really struggled with that.

Anyway, here's the requirements:
    - must be python
    - use some type of data structure (array, objects, files, database)
    - incorporate some sort of user Interface (Tkinter, pygame, command - line menu) (not really sure what this means? sorry)
    - solve some identified problem

So far my coolest thought was making a high score table of some sort, but I had a friend point out that I was probably shooting too high with that one since it would require a game, and I should go for a simple database of sorts. It's also a bit difficult contacting my professor - the class sizes are huge. I'm feeling pretty alone here, and so anxious that I'm gonna mess up my first semester at this college. Any suggestions are really, really appreciated.

Edit: e-mailed some TAs and asked if doing a to-do list or a fridge/freezer organizer would be cool and they approved, I might start on those for now and consider anything else!
    Last edited by Fell; 11-14-2018 at 10:33 PM.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    9/0
    Mentioned
    23 times
    Time Online
    26d 15h 18m
    Avg. Time Online
    15m
    Quote Originally Posted by Fell View Post
    Anyway, here's the requirements:
    - must be python
    - use some type of data structure (array, objects, files, database)
    - incorporate some sort of user Interface (Tkinter, pygame, command - line menu) (not really sure what this means? sorry)
    - solve some identified problem
    1) Which version of python is your class using?
    2) Do you feel comfortable with data structure?
    3) Tkinter is something to make basic GUI(Graphics User Interface), I believe pygame is a 3rd party module used to create games, Command - line menu, Basically controling user input through the command line in windows or for example bash terminal in Mac/Linux. Here are two books for pygame. (you need an account to see links) , (you need an account to see links) , I believe both are free.
    4) solve some identified problem

Personally for the problem I might just do something that's a tiny bit math heavy and hard to do by hand for example a simplified version of taxes, where the program prompts the user for input in the command line or with a gui like tkinter and you calculate how much the user is paying in each bracket and maybe it write the results to a text file and reading from the text file when it displays the results. Be sure to ask a TA or the professor if this would work before you start writing it.

I'm happy to offer more of my two cents or some help when I have time just either mention me here or shoot me a pm.

Saiyan Race
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    23/36
    Mentioned
    3,867 times
    Time Online
    563d 5h 25m
    Avg. Time Online
    3h 13m
    Highly recommend YouTube video tutorials.
    (you need an account to see links)
    (you need an account to see links)(you need an account to see links)

------------------------
    [02/24/2013] Stealth CORE is made into the first standalone Neopets auto-player.
    ------------------------

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    9/0
    Mentioned
    23 times
    Time Online
    26d 15h 18m
    Avg. Time Online
    15m
    Quote Originally Posted by Infamous Joe View Post
    Highly recommend YouTube video tutorials.
    I agree though for some of the obscure stuff its hard to find people who are easy to understand as many of the tutorial videos' creators have strong accents. Though for most things you can pretty easily find easy to understand videos.