Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Who is Jair Bolsonaro, the new brazilian president, and why should everyone be worried about him.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    18/0
    Mentioned
    6 times
    Time Online
    4d 10h 15m
    Avg. Time Online
    3m

Who is Jair Bolsonaro, the new brazilian president, and why should everyone be worried about him.

So, today in Brazil we had our second round of presidential elections and far-right candidate Jair Bolsonaro was (you need an account to see links) with over (you need an account to see links), being that 55% of the valid votes, against his opponent Fernando Haddad, with 45%, 44 million votes. Total number of votes were 115.930.967, with 104.836.364 valid (non "white" or void votes). 31.370.649 people did not show up to vote. Now, for someone not in Brazlil, these numbers may seem a little high, but voting in (you need an account to see links), for anyone aged 18-70, and optinal for those 16 and older, but younger than 18, older than 70 and illiterate.

Now, this was a very... unusual election period in Brazil. It spans the entire year, basically, but the campaign went into effect truly in August 15th. Before then, candiates may do a "pre-campaign", and former brazilian president Luis In�cio Lula da Silva (Lula, for short) was the front runner. Until he was (you need an account to see links) on corruption charges, that is.
    During this election year we had (you need an account to see links) for our first round. The two most voted ones went to the second round of elections, and as I said before, those were Bolsonaro and Haddad. Other than the arrest of Lula before the official start of the campaign, Bolsonaro was (you need an account to see links) while on a rally, having (you need an account to see links) from there on.

Bolsonaro has a very mediocre resum� under his name. He is a former captain of the Brazilian Army, he was discharged in a very hush-hush trial for (you need an account to see links) in the '80s (right after the military dictatorship Brazil had from '64 - '85, what explains why he wasn't arrested), because he wanted a raise. Now, for his troublesome statements:

. He said that he (you need an account to see links), said that (you need an account to see links)
    . He has (you need an account to see links), Brazil's wildlife protection agency, and things like deforestation, because, you know, we have big ass forests everywhere.
    . He stated that he would (you need an account to see links)

In a more moral kind of way, he proved he has none, as I quote:
    ."(you need an account to see links)"
    . "(you need an account to see links)".
    . He also (you need an account to see links). Ustra was a torturer known for electrocuting, raping and beating women and then bringing their children to see them while covered in blood and vomit. There are also reports of inserting live rats into women's vaginas.
    . "(you need an account to see links)".
    . "(you need an account to see links)"
    . (you need an account to see links)
    . When asked what he would do if his son were to date a black woman, he asnwered: "(you need an account to see links)". However, (you need an account to see links) he states that he was edited into saying that, he was, according to him, asnwering a question about what he would do if he son was gay.
    . (you need an account to see links)" on his radio show.

That about covers it. (you need an account to see links) he sounded like a nice guy for saying "they have to get get fucked and that's it", and (you need an account to see links) that Trump called him to congratulate him for the victory. Even though Bolsonaro keeps saying that he is a patriot, he seems very eager to spread his cheeks to Trump already.

Let's not forget that his "(you need an account to see links)" (idk is this is the right term, it's basically all the proposals the candidate has for his govenrment) looks and reads like a bad Power Point presentation. While (you need an account to see links)s looked and read like a college essay (I mean, the guy was Minister of education and was, also, a college professor in, wait for it, political science!).

Let's just say this: Brazil is FUCKED, and the Amazon too!
    Last edited by MrBurbage; 10-29-2018 at 09:49 PM. Reason: new sources, clarifying some statements

2. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to MrBurbage For This Useful Post:

aevora (05-02-2020),Alcremie (10-29-2018),DJ Music Man (10-29-2018),Irohh (10-29-2018),♥ lagrima ♥ (10-28-2018),Painwheel (09-14-2020),Spore (05-08-2021),Swedish Fish (10-28-2018),Synth Salazzle (10-30-2018)

Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    66 times
    Time Online
    119d 7h 29m
    Avg. Time Online
    1h 5m
    I always feel like I am overreacting but I honest to god want to sell everything I have and get out of here as soon as I can. Preferably before next year

4. The Following User Says Thank You to lagrima For This Useful Post:

MrBurbage (10-28-2018)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    3/0
    Mentioned
    8 times
    Time Online
    17d 28m
    Avg. Time Online
    12m
    To those living and staying in Brazil -- I hope you keep enduring!

The situation sounds really tough and I can't even imagine what it's like... I complain a lot about the USA, probably on a daily basis, because it sucks here and there's a lot to complain about. But in reality, I think, in some cases, it pales in comparison to what other people have to go through around the world.

Thank you for sharing! I very much appreciate it.

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Swedish Fish For This Useful Post:

aevora (05-02-2020),Boboaf (11-21-2018),DJ Music Man (10-29-2018),MrBurbage (10-28-2018)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    18/0
    Mentioned
    6 times
    Time Online
    4d 10h 15m
    Avg. Time Online
    3m
    Quote Originally Posted by lagrima View Post
    I always feel like I am overreacting but I honest to god want to sell everything I have and get out of here as soon as I can. Preferably before next year
    I wish I could do that. I would be way too worried about my friends and family to just get up and leave. But, since I'm a ProUni student (for those that don't know, it's a government sanctioned scholarship to private colleges for those that can't afford them -they come in 100% and 50% discounts, I have the 100% one) I'm going to fight until the end so this piece of shit doesn't put us under the ground.

Quote Originally Posted by ryoxo View Post
    To those living and staying in Brazil -- I hope you keep enduring!

The situation sounds really tough and I can't even imagine what it's like... I complain a lot about the USA, probably on a daily basis, because it sucks here and there's a lot to complain about. But in reality, I think, in some cases, it pales in comparison to what other people have to go through around the world.

Thank you for sharing! I very much appreciate it.
    I needed a place to vent, and since reddit already seems to have people sharing info all around, I came here. Thanks for the positive thinking!

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    36/0
    Mentioned
    133 times
    Time Online
    55d 3h 58m
    Avg. Time Online
    37m
    It's terrifying that this man got into power, I wish everyone in Brazil the best through the next few years! When someone in the KKK praises a Latino person for their views (Sorry if that's not the right word, I'm from Australia) something is seriously wrong.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to RealisticError For This Useful Post:

DJ Music Man (10-29-2018)

Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    66 times
    Time Online
    119d 7h 29m
    Avg. Time Online
    1h 5m
    Quote Originally Posted by MrBurbage View Post
    I wish I could do that. I would be way too worried about my friends and family to just get up and leave. But, since I'm a ProUni student (for those that don't know, it's a government sanctioned scholarship to private colleges for those that can't afford them -they come in 100% and 50% discounts, I have the 100% one) I'm going to fight until the end so this piece of shit doesn't put us under the ground.
    I'll be very honest, I'm not worried about my family mostly because they're all middle class, white, cishet, and huge supporters of Bolsonaro who all voted for him. If they weren't I definitely think they would be planning on leaving, but turns out this is the exact outcome they wanted, to the point where my dad openly supports the dictatorship coming back.

But I'll admit I do worry a lot about my friends. And the thing holding me back is definitely the fact that I haven't finished college either, although I go to a private college.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    18/0
    Mentioned
    6 times
    Time Online
    4d 10h 15m
    Avg. Time Online
    3m
    Quote Originally Posted by RealisticError View Post
    It's terrifying that this man got into power, I wish everyone in Brazil the best through the next few years! When someone in the KKK praises a Latino person for their views (Sorry if that's not the right word, I'm from Australia) something is seriously wrong.
    Yeah. We also have some (you need an account to see links), so the KKK praising him is nothing much.

Also, I guess Latino is the right word for us haha, We are in latin-america, but people raraly use that term for brazilian people because Brazil is the only country around here not colonized by Spain, but Portugal instead.

Quote Originally Posted by lagrima View Post
    I'll be very honest, I'm not worried about my family mostly because they're all middle class, white, cishet, and huge supporters of Bolsonaro who all voted for him. If they weren't I definitely think they would be planning on leaving, but turns out this is the exact outcome they wanted, to the point where my dad openly supports the dictatorship coming back.

But I'll admit I do worry a lot about my friends. And the thing holding me back is definitely the fact that I haven't finished college either, although I go to a private college.
    Yeah, my family is very LGBT friendly, so -at least with the family that I have contact with- nobody voted for him. All my freinds are LGBT+, so we are all in this togheter~
    *tries not to sing and fails miserably*

12. The Following User Says Thank You to MrBurbage For This Useful Post:

DJ Music Man (10-29-2018)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    36/0
    Mentioned
    133 times
    Time Online
    55d 3h 58m
    Avg. Time Online
    37m
    Quote Originally Posted by MrBurbage View Post
    Yeah. We also have some (you need an account to see links), so the KKK praising him is nothing much.

Also, I guess Latino is the right word for us haha, We are in latin-america, but people raraly use that term for brazilian people because Brazil is the only country around here not colonized by Spain, but Portugal instead.

Yeah, my family is very LGBT friendly, so -at least with the family that I have contact with- nobody voted for him. All my freinds are LGBT+, so we are all in this togheter~
    *tries not to sing and fails miserably*

I think a lot of people forget that EVERYONE is in this world together, sometimes

We need to help eachother, not vote in a neo Nazi...

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to RealisticError For This Useful Post:

DJ Music Man (10-29-2018),Goddammit (10-31-2018),Swedish Fish (10-29-2018)

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    172/0
    Mentioned
    657 times
    Time Online
    182d 5h 28m
    Avg. Time Online
    1h 16m
    I've moved this to General Discussion, as it seems to be more in that direction than a debate, since the OP is not really leaving any room for opposing opinions.

I haven't heard of this guy, but your details suggest that he's another dangerous person to be in power of any country. We seem to have quite a bit of that going around, unfortunately.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    18/0
    Mentioned
    6 times
    Time Online
    4d 10h 15m
    Avg. Time Online
    3m
    Quote Originally Posted by Bacchus View Post
    I've moved this to General Discussion, as it seems to be more in that direction than a debate, since the OP is not really leaving any room for opposing opinions.

I haven't heard of this guy, but your details suggest that he's another dangerous person to be in power of any country. We seem to have quite a bit of that going around, unfortunately.
    I was going to post it there, but didn't think it was the right place, for some reason lol