Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What unsolved mystery do you hope to see solved in your lifetime?

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    29/0
    Mentioned
    81 times
    Time Online
    19d 1h 41m
    Avg. Time Online
    7m

What unsolved mystery do you hope to see solved in your lifetime?

There are a couple of unsolved mysteries that have always stuck with me. Every cold case is haunting in its own rights, but for me these are two I'd love to see the answers to and have some closure on.

1. Madeleine McCann

I google her name probably once every couple of months and there is always a recent update regarding a suspect. This in itself intrigues me as its always, always about some crazy pedo they suspect (latest update in google news: Christian Brueckner, 6 hours ago) and not ever about the parents or any other outcome. Its as if, in recent years, they've forgotten other potential scenarios. If not, why are they consistently coming to the conclusion she was taken? I can't see any recent evidence that isn't speculative.

I personally feel 60/40 between it being the parents and her being abducted. I don't think she's still alive, I think the parents killed her by accident and panicked. The cadaver dogs are just too difficult to ignore, especially being that they alerted to multiple places. If we spend so much time and money training dogs for this kind of thing (who have been successful in the past) why does their work get so heavily discredited in this case?

2. MH370
    This happened somewhat close to home for me so perhaps that plays a factor in why its always stuck with me, I just find it so incredible that an entire plane with 240 odd people can just disappear without a trace. I know this was 2014 and technology has advanced a lot since then, but I'm sorry, how do we have only theories about what happened? What were all our satellites doing? How have multiple parts washed up in 6 (if I remember correctly) different countries and we have no solid theories? Why the U-turn? I understand the open ocean is wild and vastly unexplored but... I just really can't stand that really we can only speculate. I can't imagine how the families of these people feel. Hopefully in time we can reassess the pieces that have washed up in a similar way to how we can test DNA today and solve cases from 20 years ago and get some answers.

What mysteries have perplexed you? Have you watched the Unsolved Mystery series on Netflix? I haven't, because apparently its 14 seasons long and I don't want to get hooked on any more haha. Lets discuss and have no closure together!

2. The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to rio For This Useful Post:

Aero (02-16-2021),Bea (02-19-2021),Buizel (02-16-2021),Da Plushee Boree (02-18-2021),Double.Trouble (02-16-2021),Erik. (02-17-2021),Fiore (02-20-2021),Furina (02-16-2021),Goddammit (02-16-2021),motherfucker (02-18-2021),Mr. 49 (02-22-2021),My name is Yoshikage Kira (02-16-2021),Nattiee (02-16-2021),Nyanobyte                      (02-16-2021),tangerine (02-16-2021),TsUNaMy WaVe (03-01-2021),vulkren (02-25-2021)

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    14/0
    Mentioned
    189 times
    Time Online
    85d 5h 41m
    Avg. Time Online
    1h 34m
    Great thread. Always love some unsolved mysteries to keep me up at night. I had to do a report on MH 370 in university, and it honestly seemed to me that one of the pilots crashed the plane into the water. There was evidence showing that he had been practicing some routes on a simulator and I believe he wiped the system after? But then again it could have entirely been a freak accident as well (and I was in uni a while back so maybe new evidence surfaced).

(you need an account to see links) is my favourite mystery, but the FBI stopped actively investigating it in 2016 according to Wikipedia. The page is worth a read and you really come away almost liking the guy as little is known besides the fact that he was very polite to flight attendants.

Another rabbit hole I went down recently was the disappearance of Ben McDaniel during a solo cave diving expedition (the (you need an account to see links) is very good, but the author never finished his series before also disappearing). If you have thalassophobia or claustrophobia and like to make yourself feel bad, this one is for you.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Aero For This Useful Post:

Buizel (02-17-2021),Furina (02-16-2021),rio (02-16-2021)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    8/0
    Mentioned
    2 times
    Time Online
    23d 6h 26m
    Avg. Time Online
    10m
    The (you need an account to see links) for sure. I'm almost positive it won't happen since the murders occurred in the 1930s, but the nature of those stories haunt me so much. Cleveland was booming with industry in the 30s, so it was common practice for laborers to temporarily move to the outskirts of the city in "villages," which is where almost all of these murders occurred. Over the course of 3 years, twelve people were murdered & dismembered in Cleveland with select body parts left for the police/private citizens to happen upon. At one point, it even seemed the murderer was taunting the agents who were investigating the case, by leaving bodies in plain view from their office windows.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tangerine For This Useful Post:

Mr. 49 (02-22-2021),rio (02-16-2021)

overthink.exe
    Pronouns
    she/they
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    40/0
    Mentioned
    1,161 times
    Time Online
    556d 8h 44m
    Avg. Time Online
    3h 27m
    There are a few that still really bother me, but as it's just been the anniversary, for now I'll say the murders of Abby Williams and Libby German in Delphi, Indiana.
    (you need an account to see links)

thanks stardust for base Thanks Sugarbee Thanks Wooloo
    Kyo (Nov 13 2020)

thanks honeycomb
    and hearts! <3
    +Zenitsu

THANK YOU FAB

8. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to kittyray For This Useful Post:

DrBumfinger (02-28-2021),Erik. (02-17-2021),Fiore (02-20-2021),Furina (02-16-2021),Goddammit (02-16-2021),rio (02-16-2021)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    29/0
    Mentioned
    81 times
    Time Online
    19d 1h 41m
    Avg. Time Online
    7m
    Quote Originally Posted by Aero View Post
    Great thread. Always love some unsolved mysteries to keep me up at night. I had to do a report on MH 370 in university, and it honestly seemed to me that one of the pilots crashed the plane into the water. There was evidence showing that he had been practicing some routes on a simulator and I believe he wiped the system after? But then again it could have entirely been a freak accident as well (and I was in uni a while back so maybe new evidence surfaced).

(you need an account to see links) is my favourite mystery, but the FBI stopped actively investigating it in 2016 according to Wikipedia. The page is worth a read and you really come away almost liking the guy as little is known besides the fact that he was very polite to flight attendants.

Another rabbit hole I went down recently was the disappearance of Ben McDaniel during a solo cave diving expedition (the (you need an account to see links) is very good, but the author never finished his series before also disappearing). If you have thalassophobia or claustrophobia and like to make yourself feel bad, this one is for you.

Haha right? I was thinking about this quite late at night (ryu missions) but thought I better wait til daytime to post it lest I stay up any later!
    Yes the simulator practice was interesting.. but innocent until proven guilty. Even when you seem so sure something is the case there's always the chance that it isn't what you think at all. Imagine the coincidence if it were just an accident after all.

Thank you for sharing the links, I haven't heard of either of those cases so will do some reading. I hope the author comes back! What a silly thing to do when writing so well about something unsolved! At least finish it

Quote Originally Posted by tangerine View Post
    The (you need an account to see links) for sure. I'm almost positive it won't happen since the murders occurred in the 1930s, but the nature of those stories haunt me so much. Cleveland was booming with industry in the 30s, so it was common practice for laborers to temporarily move to the outskirts of the city in "villages," which is where almost all of these murders occurred. Over the course of 3 years, twelve people were murdered & dismembered in Cleveland with select body parts left for the police/private citizens to happen upon. At one point, it even seemed the murderer was taunting the agents who were investigating the case, by leaving bodies in plain view from their office windows.
    You never know though - maybe one day the technology will allow us to, though nobody could be held responsible now.
    Leaving bodies in plain sight is shocking, the investigators must've been so stressed with them being so close and not able to catch them quick enough. And now for it to be unsolved so many years later. Has anyone ever done a death bed confession? I have mixed feelings about those, especially ones that are done with such nature there isn't time to ask questions to verify if its truthful or not.

Quote Originally Posted by kittyray View Post
    There are a few that still really bother me, but as it's just been the anniversary, for now I'll say the murders of Abby Williams and Libby German in Delphi, Indiana.
    Oh, wow, that is really tragic. They were so young.
    I always thought at 14 I was so grown up. The older I get the more paranoid I become. Does that come with aging and just being more aware of the darkness in this world? I wonder why on earth my parents ever let me out alone or walk home from school by myself. That must've been nerve wracking.
    I'm sure this one is ticking time bomb. The fact that there is video and perhaps more damning, audio to support who the police are looking for is a strong lead. Yes it has been four years but if that person in the video didn't do it, don't you think they'd come forward to clear their name? Hardly seems like you would hide out of pure fear of being wrongly accused.
    Does he say to go down the hill in the audio? I can't quite catch it.

The thing that always gets me with unsolved cases is that someone knows what happened.

EDIT: I have replied to all the posts but only one has come through, the others have to be approved
    Last edited by Mama Bear; 02-16-2021 at 04:43 PM.

overthink.exe
    Pronouns
    she/they
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    40/0
    Mentioned
    1,161 times
    Time Online
    556d 8h 44m
    Avg. Time Online
    3h 27m
    Quote Originally Posted by rio View Post
    Oh, wow, that is really tragic. They were so young.
    I always thought at 14 I was so grown up. The older I get the more paranoid I become. Does that come with aging and just being more aware of the darkness in this world? I wonder why on earth my parents ever let me out alone or walk home from school by myself. That must've been nerve wracking.
    I'm sure this one is ticking time bomb. The fact that there is video and perhaps more damning, audio to support who the police are looking for is a strong lead. Yes it has been four years but if that person in the video didn't do it, don't you think they'd come forward to clear their name? Hardly seems like you would hide out of pure fear of being wrongly accused.
    Does he say to go down the hill in the audio? I can't quite catch it.

The thing that always gets me with unsolved cases is that someone knows what happened.

EDIT: I have replied to all the posts but only one has come through, the others have to be approved

I'm definitely more cautious with age. It was like a mix of feeling invincible to romanticizing other aspects (I've had a few chats about being a teen and idolizing people who die young, though not really violent attacks, but that's a different topic). I used to go running in the woods all the time as a teen and my mom hated it, but didn't stop me.

Yeah, there's SO much in the case that they have, but very little seems like it was released to the public. I wonder if they're sitting on something that ties into something bigger, or if it's just wishful thinking.

And yeah, that somebody thing also gets to me. Like for some there really might not be, like in the case of missing hikers or similar. Another case that just pops into my head with the "somebody knows something" thing sometimes is Asha Degree.
    (you need an account to see links)

thanks stardust for base Thanks Sugarbee Thanks Wooloo
    Kyo (Nov 13 2020)

thanks honeycomb
    and hearts! <3
    +Zenitsu

THANK YOU FAB

11. The Following User Says Thank You to kittyray For This Useful Post:

Fiore (02-20-2021)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    29/0
    Mentioned
    81 times
    Time Online
    19d 1h 41m
    Avg. Time Online
    7m
    Quote Originally Posted by Aero View Post

Right! I was thinking about starting this thread late last night and then thought I better wait til daytime!
    Yes the simulator aspect is so interesting, but innocent until proven guilty right.. imagine if he had been practicing, but it were just a freak accident. Theres always a chance, no matter how convinced you are or what the evidence seems to point to, that something else happened entirely.

Thank you for the links, I haven't heard of either of those but have opened up some tabs! How ironic (and irritating) to disappear part way though writing about an unsolved case!

Quote Originally Posted by tangerine View Post
    You would hope that in this day and age we are progressing towards technology that can solve this kind of thing, or at the very least pull DNA from evidence. How sad that the person responsible won't ever be held accountable nor will the families see justice. Hopefully we can honor those people with finding it for them.
    Can you imagine being the police in this case - how terrible to be taunted in such a way and to have the killer so close only to never catch them.

Quote Originally Posted by kittyray View Post
    I'm definitely more cautious with age. It was like a mix of feeling invincible to romanticizing other aspects (I've had a few chats about being a teen and idolizing people who die young, though not really violent attacks, but that's a different topic). I used to go running in the woods all the time as a teen and my mom hated it, but didn't stop me.

Yeah, there's SO much in the case that they have, but very little seems like it was released to the public. I wonder if they're sitting on something that ties into something bigger, or if it's just wishful thinking.

And yeah, that somebody thing also gets to me. Like for some there really might not be, like in the case of missing hikers or similar. Another case that just pops into my head with the "somebody knows something" thing sometimes is Asha Degree.
    I remember feeling "but that will never happen to ME, because I'm careful" which I suppose is a variation of that invincible feeling. I definitely romanticized too, especially being a young parent, but like you said, another topic.
    I wouldn't even do that now! I'm not surprised she hated it. Did you have headphones in when you ran?

What do you think is the advantage of sitting on evidence of that nature though? Apart from letting the killer know just how close or far they are?

Speaking of missing hikers, have you seen the show (I want to say missing 411 but I feel thats wrong) about people who just disappear mid hike, even around other people? Sometimes their belongings are found miles away from where they were last seen. I need to google and find more information other than these crumbs I can currently offer you lol, but its so fascinating.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rio For This Useful Post:

Aero (02-16-2021),tangerine (02-16-2021)

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    14/0
    Mentioned
    189 times
    Time Online
    85d 5h 41m
    Avg. Time Online
    1h 34m
    Quote Originally Posted by rio View Post
    It keeps notifying me so it must be a really good comment :eyes:

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Aero For This Useful Post:

rio (02-16-2021)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    29/0
    Mentioned
    81 times
    Time Online
    19d 1h 41m
    Avg. Time Online
    7m
    edited above instead
    Last edited by rio; 02-16-2021 at 04:53 PM.

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    25/0
    Mentioned
    155 times
    Time Online
    51d 6h 2m
    Avg. Time Online
    30m
    WELL HI THIS IS MY EXACT FAVORITE CONVERSATION *cracks knuckles*

Delphi IN Murders

JonBenet Ramsey

The West Memphis 3 Technically this one is considered solved but that's bullshit.

I have more. This is literally all I do in my spare time is watch true crime and my favorite subreddit is (you need an account to see links) but I've left you with enough text lol

---------- Post added at 04:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:41 PM ----------

I remember feeling "but that will never happen to ME, because I'm careful" which I suppose is a variation of that invincible feeling. I definitely romanticized too, especially being a young parent, but like you said, another topic.
    I wouldn't even do that now! I'm not surprised she hated it. Did you have headphones in when you ran?

What do you think is the advantage of sitting on evidence of that nature though? Apart from letting the killer know just how close or far they are?
    1. My best friend and I were just talking last night (while we watched HLN's delphi doc lol) about how many times we could have easily vanished off the face of the earth or been murdered when we were younger. Which, looking back is strange to me because I've been into true crime since I was 8. My older sister is ten years older than me and always had various books about serial killers and psychological profile stuff laying around. One of the my earliest memories are reading two books: 1. Hannibal in 5th grade and 2. The Evil That Men Do by Roy Hazelwood around the same time. So like. I KNEW there was danger. But kids are really good at compartmentalizing that stuff. Even as I got older, I was followed home from my bus stop once. As an adult I was walking to work around midnight and followed into a gas station. But I'd still do things like walk to work around midnight at 19 or cut through an empty and dark skatepark at 9pm when walking home alone from a friends house at 15. I'm a parent now and I try so hard to instill this into my kids head without doing it in a way that makes her terrified to live life.

2. If you hold back certain things it can weed out false confessions. Oh so she was strangled? What with? Then the perp says a shoelace but it was really a scarf. Or the perp says a scarf and it was a scarf but that wasn't released to the public, only the killer could have know it.

18. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Goddammit For This Useful Post:

Aero (02-16-2021),Buizel (02-17-2021),Erik. (02-17-2021),Fiore (02-20-2021),kittyray (02-16-2021),Maelstra (02-16-2021),rio (02-16-2021),Shiny Espurr (02-26-2021)