24/0
    Mentioned
    10 times
    Time Online
    13d 17h 1m
    Avg. Time Online
    9m
    Quote Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post
    I'll give that a go, thanks! It used to be a sharp pain, its a lot better now though. It mostly feels like my knee is very weak/loose, if that makes sense? It feels worst doing squats.
    Does it happen as your knee moves outwards? If its during squats, i advice you to research how to self myofacial release your achilles. This will allow you to squat with less torque on the knee.

Avoid squatting if you feel something is up for now.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to leoric For This Useful Post:

Gremlin (07-15-2018)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    25/0
    Mentioned
    1 time
    Time Online
    1d 8h 20m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    Quote Originally Posted by leoric View Post
    Hey guys! Thought I would do a fitness AMA as a way to contribute in my own little way to the community.

Some background on myself
    3 major certifications
    NASM-CPT
    ACE-CPT
    Master Rehabilitation Certified

Please feel free to ask any questions regarding workout routines, fat loss/muscle gaining, diet, supplementation, strength and conditioning for sports as well as injury rehabiliation and prevention.

1. What are your views on 'Jump squats' in relation to generic back squats for muscle building?
    2. What helpful tips do you have for 'remembering' to eat/supplement at the appropriate times throughout the day?
    3. What is your opinion on 'Dips' as opposed to Benching?

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    172/0
    Mentioned
    657 times
    Time Online
    182d 5h 28m
    Avg. Time Online
    1h 16m
    @(you need an account to see links), before my most recent pregnancy, I'd lost 35kg through changes in diet and exercise. I was on ~1000 calories/day. When I found out I was pregnant, I obviously had to increase this for baby's sake, and now that I'm breastfeeding I'm needing more still. For comparison, the peak of my milk production was ~67oz/day (1340 calories) with my first.

I'd like to start losing weight again, but don't want to jeopardise my supply, which is almost certain to happen through a calorie restricted diet. Is there any advice you can give for this? At the moment I'm just kinda figuring that I'll have to be patient and wait until I wean in 12-18 months time.

Thanks
    DL/UL
    24/0
    Mentioned
    10 times
    Time Online
    13d 17h 1m
    Avg. Time Online
    9m
    Quote Originally Posted by Bacchus View Post
    @(you need an account to see links), before my most recent pregnancy, I'd lost 35kg through changes in diet and exercise. I was on ~1000 calories/day. When I found out I was pregnant, I obviously had to increase this for baby's sake, and now that I'm breastfeeding I'm needing more still. For comparison, the peak of my milk production was ~67oz/day (1340 calories) with my first.

I'd like to start losing weight again, but don't want to jeopardise my supply, which is almost certain to happen through a calorie restricted diet. Is there any advice you can give for this? At the moment I'm just kinda figuring that I'll have to be patient and wait until I wean in 12-18 months time.
    Hey Bacchus! First of all congratulations!! Tbh this can be best answered by your ob gyn since it is not my area of expertise exercises tho which are recommended depending on your method of giving birth (cs, what cut, etc) I can answer

Personally I'd just recommend just moderating what you eat and prevent weight gain instead of looking to lose right away. Focus on the new baby

---------- Post added at 02:06 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:00 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by keltika View Post
    1. What are your views on 'Jump squats' in relation to generic back squats for muscle building?
    2. What helpful tips do you have for 'remembering' to eat/supplement at the appropriate times throughout the day?
    3. What is your opinion on 'Dips' as opposed to Benching?
    1.) Jump squats basically engage all the same muscles as the traditional back squat but focus more on training those fast twitch muscle fibers. I highly advise incorporating both into your workout to improve function as well as strength (and muscle.)

Especially if you're an athlete, plyometric exercises are a must.

2.) Honestly keep it simple. Its already been that frequent meals throughout the day doesn't "boost" your metabolism. Its all about the total calories eat when its convenient for you. Keep your supplementation intake constant and simple. Protein after workout, all them vitamins in the morning. Get a nice supplement stacker (bottle type thing that can hold diff powders) so u remember to bring all your supps.

3.) Dips and benching are very similar. I've personally given up flat barbell bench presses completely for 2 years now and my chest development is better than ever. I do weighted wide-grip dips instead. I love how its less tension on my shoulders.

P.s. i gave up benching when i was going for 375lbs for 3 reps and when i unracked it, it slipped from my hand and freefell onto my chest, bruising it like hell. Been traumatized ever since

6. The Following User Says Thank You to leoric For This Useful Post:

keltika (07-22-2018)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    25/0
    Mentioned
    1 time
    Time Online
    1d 8h 20m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    Very interesting :p

I have been keen to build more dips into my workout for quite a while - The dip bars in our gym go relatively unused (And on every international chest day there is a huge queue for the benches). I find them insanely difficult to do (I can only do about 8 at bodyweight currently) so it's great to know the chest development should continue!

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    31/0
    Mentioned
    199 times
    Time Online
    129d 11h 30m
    Avg. Time Online
    44m
    Hi!

I've recently been diagnosed with a partial meniscus tear, which sucks because I used to love high impact circuit training for my legs as well as running. The cardio I can bring in with cycling and a cross trainer I guess, but do you know of any exercises that build the legs (glutes especially) that won't compromise my knee while it's recovering (ftr I'm not in pain almost at all, but need to be careful).

Thanks
    DL/UL
    24/0
    Mentioned
    10 times
    Time Online
    13d 17h 1m
    Avg. Time Online
    9m
    Quote Originally Posted by Peta View Post
    Hi!

I've recently been diagnosed with a partial meniscus tear, which sucks because I used to love high impact circuit training for my legs as well as running. The cardio I can bring in with cycling and a cross trainer I guess, but do you know of any exercises that build the legs (glutes especially) that won't compromise my knee while it's recovering (ftr I'm not in pain almost at all, but need to be careful).
    There are tons of glute exercises that provide little to no torque on the knees donkey kicks, kickbacks with resistance bands and good mornings which build the whole posterior are very good examples. Pull-throughs with the cable machine also similuate a deadlift while placing most emphasis on the glutes. (Attach a rope handle on the low pulley and grab it between your legs facing away from the stack. Move away from the stack slightly and pull through until your torso is upright and squeeze dem cheeks hard)

Be sure to strengthen your abductors and adductors as well! Most of the isolation exercises that strengthen both do not put pressure on the knee.

---------- Post added at 12:29 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:28 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by keltika View Post
    Very interesting :p

I have been keen to build more dips into my workout for quite a while - The dip bars in our gym go relatively unused (And on every international chest day there is a huge queue for the benches). I find them insanely difficult to do (I can only do about 8 at bodyweight currently) so it's great to know the chest development should continue!
    8 is very respectable. Definately above newbie level i currently train them similarly to chest in a 6-8 rep fashion with abt 90lbs tagged on to a dip belt but can rep out 47 clean full-range dips at 5'8 210lbs love em to death

Thanks
    DL/UL
    24/0
    Mentioned
    10 times
    Time Online
    13d 17h 1m
    Avg. Time Online
    9m
    Still answering all questions about fitness

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    7/0
    Mentioned
    3 times
    Time Online
    1d 16h 35m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    What made you decide you wanted to be a personal trainer?

Thanks
    DL/UL
    24/0
    Mentioned
    10 times
    Time Online
    13d 17h 1m
    Avg. Time Online
    9m
    Quote Originally Posted by scornty View Post
    What made you decide you wanted to be a personal trainer?
    Classic incredibly unhealthy fat kid with tons of acne addicted to playing Neopets who wanted to attract girls pretty much! It started out as something I was doing for myself. As I started to make progress, a fellow obese classmate who happened to be a neighbor of mine started going to the gym with me. I taught him the basics (or what I knew at the time since I was like 16) and it really felt good seeing him lose weight.

Went into the corporate world with a marketing degree after and worked for a video game company, a mobile app company (food delivery) and then got a general manager position in a gym. Loved the setting, studied and became a trainer myself