11/0
    Mentioned
    1 time
    Time Online
    18h 24m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A

Workout Motivation

I'm just wondering what motivates you to workout. I have an interest in exercise and dieting and eventually going into a sports medicine field, but too be honest I'm just a lazy POS that loves food too much to see it be eaten by someone else.

I just recently got out of the US military and we're all about fat shaming each other because that's how we show love. I look in the mirror and pictures and I see a huge difference since I've left that lifestyle, but I just can't bring myself to start doing it all on my lonesome.

Maybe I can realize some sort of motivation from everyone else here to set me on the path of my former glory.

Thanks
    DL/UL
    126/0
    Mentioned
    300 times
    Time Online
    218d 12h 58m
    Avg. Time Online
    1h 44m
    I'm at the gym right now, I HATE working out, I hate even having to leave the bed and it was a massive struggle to drag myself here every day, but I'm already feeling the results. I'm the most insecure person you will ever meet and this has destroyed my relationship with many people before, but now that I don't look like a sack of potatoes I have a lot more confidence, people are complimenting me and of course this is all on appearance, but this is having an impact in other areas of my life.

I'm not gonna lie to you, there are days I don't want to even think about exercising, people say that one day you will get used to it/will enjoy working out, and this isn't true for everyone, you don't have to like it imo. But you must push yourself even when you think you can't anymore, cause every drop of sweat means you are getting somewhere, and at the end of the month take a good look at the mirror and see the changes.

Every week I think something among the lines of "Man, this sucks. But look at me now". It's totally worth it.
    Now don't feel ashamed of going alone, I workout on my own bunself as well, don't talk to anyone, do my stuff and go home. What you're doing isn't anybody's business, it's something you're doing for yourself.
    Last edited by Cybun; 06-07-2018 at 10:41 AM.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    69/0
    Mentioned
    35 times
    Time Online
    1d 7h 24m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    I agree with Cybun's sentiment that working out = looking better, generally = increased confidence and that confidence makes social interaction a lot easier for people with depressive or anxious qualities. I disagree that working out is something you have to hate. There are so many different ways to exercise: bodybuilding, powerlifting, bodyweight stuff, endurance training, martial arts, etc.; the list honestly goes on for longer than I could type in a reasonable amount of time and I'm sure there are ways to exercise that I don't even know about.

Personally, I love working out. It's my favorite part of the day. Why? I could have a good day, a bad day, or an all-around average day, but I know that the gym means one to one and a half hours of productive self-betterment that I am working hard to achieve. I'm by myself, I'm focused, and I'm engaging in an activity that will only increase my self-worth internally and externally. Also, working out releases endorphins (as does running). Working out results in the same feeling as a mild opiate high with none of the negatives and all of the positives.

I think it's important to find a good program, one that clicks with you, one that gets you excited to go to the gym, and one that you can actually track and progress on, which leaves you wanting to come back the next day and so on. Couldn't recommend this program more (to anyone reading this, it quite literally changed my life for the better):
    (you need an account to see links)

(remember tho: proper sleep and diet are just as important, if not more important, than the actual exercise)

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    172/0
    Mentioned
    657 times
    Time Online
    182d 5h 28m
    Avg. Time Online
    1h 16m
    Prior to this pregnancy, after having Eevee, I lost 35kg. It sucked, especially restricting my calories as much as I did. Coming home after work, I just wanted to be able to relax, but instead had to work out. I don't think I'll ever be one of those gym bunny types. I was highly motivated though- I needed to improve my health for my child. I wanted to be able to chase her and play with her. I wanted to be able to be alive to see her grow up. When #2 was conceived, I had to change my habits again. I couldn't have as few calories; I can do extremes but struggle with middle ground. It was tough to see my hard work disappear, but I knew he needed me in a different way. Now I'm 34w, I still make an effort to waddle for an hour walk every evening, taking Eevee to the park.

Might not help you though, haha.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Mama Bear For This Useful Post:

rallygou (06-07-2018)

Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    43 times
    Time Online
    45d 2h N/A
    Avg. Time Online
    30m
    I hated working out, especially going to the gym - what got me interested and hooked on my fitness were sports. My first trainer walked me through several routines that I can keep up with at home, and becoming a better athlete was the source of motivation that I needed. I definitely wasn't one of those aim-for-the-olympics guys, and started out super casual, but some home exercise and an occasional run here and there were manageable enough for me and kept me in good enough shape to actually go professional years later!

There is also something quite invigorating about hauling your exhausted self back home, to me a good workout is an enabler - I feel better about myself, and am much more motivated to improve other areas of my life. Sometimes I work out less so out of need but to chase that warm, fuzzy feeling of accomplishment and productivity. That and I'm really not one to say no to a cake or two XD

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    11/0
    Mentioned
    1 time
    Time Online
    18h 24m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    Thanks for the speedy replies everyone! I'll be looking at that program and chasing that high at the end of each workout. Hopefully I can better myself before my family trip to Hawaii where I promised everyone I'd hike with them 5+ miles each day at the very least.

I've worked out in the past because it was required for my job's physical standards, but now that I'm back home I drowned in the pit of lazy. That's going to change slowly, but surely for now on.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to jrdizzle For This Useful Post:

Cybun (06-08-2018)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    1/0
    Mentioned
    Never
    Time Online
    8h 51m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    I actually love working out in multiple ways because I feel like they all offer a different type of benefit in my life. I mean the universal benefit out of all the things I do has to be just feeling stronger and more confident about myself- and challenging myself to keep getting better. I like to chase achievement and find life boring if I'm not constantly aiming to better myself (though that doesn't mean I spend 24/7 on it otherwise I'd burn out).

They actually all work in a cycle to boost each other. I do fighting sports to build my ego (lol) and really push myself to the physical extreme. To do that though, I need cardiovascular training, so I have to do jogging and HIIT- which gives me that 3-4 hour post jog/run feel good vibe. I also need to lift weights otherwise I'd be thrown around without any strength, which again offers a platform to push myself to the physical maximum and see continual progress.

That's my personal motivation; but generally speaking if I were to try to motivate on a more general basis- its great for pulling tail nomsayin