Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Can someone help me understand this?

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    172/0
    Mentioned
    657 times
    Time Online
    182d 5h 28m
    Avg. Time Online
    1h 16m
    Quote Originally Posted by Brittany View Post
    Idk why she feels it as a betrayal though that's what I want to understand. Maybe the director married her because he loved her, like you said, regardless of race.

Also not only did we not talk about the movie (because I haven't seen it) but she claimed what the actors did in the movie did not bother her. It was the director trying to be pro black but is married to a white woman, who she feels is the root of our problems, that bothered her. She felt like his movie is then deemed meaningless because he himself is hindering the message he's trying to convey with his marriage choice. Then she brung up Black Panther and how she's going to watch it because it's an all black cast. I asked how is an all black cast about a fictional superhero a step forward for us? I also asked will you be offended if he has to fight or even kill another black person and she said yes.

I also tried asking her how she felt about the video game Mafia III. About how the whole time you're a black character fighting against white people, how you're literally treated in game, and the white people you fight against. I told her I think in her same example that's a step forward for us then because it's a whole virtual world about getting justice. I said the directors and all that good stuff weren't black and she said anyone can convey our message but since they're not black then, once again, their point is moot. I ignored that and said but what do you think about the game? Is it not a step forward? Is it not getting out our message that we need to stand up and stick it to the man when we're pushed around? I ended it with but if the character goes on to marry a white woman even after all that killing and saving he did, you'd just brush it off because he would no longer care about our cause right?

Then she brung up lion king 2019 and how she likes that it's a mostly black cast. I said but that was Disney's choice LOL it really didn't have to be. She said but it's based in Africa so they have to be black. I told her that doesn't really mean anything since their location in the movie is not even super important since we focus on the plot of the movie. I said if Disney did Mulan again, yes, I would expect them to be Chinese because it's a movie about saving China so of course the location of that movie is extremely vital. The locations in Wonder Woman are super vital. The location of Lion King can be shot from any jungle and you wouldn't tell the difference.

(I'm sorry for rambling I'm just so confused it's beyond me LOLL)
    She wants her cake and to eat it too. A whole black cast in any sort of story in invariably going to have conflict/tension, otherwise there'd be no story. That means that the 'bad guy' is going to be black, which I'd predict (based on her petty opinions you've outlined) would offend her for having a negative representation. Does she want perfect, happy, utopian black movies? 1) That would be boring. You cannot have an engaging story without conflict of some type. 2) That would be unrealistic. Surely it is better for black culture to reflect the community/society more accurately. Art is often a conduit for change.

Bui bui!
    Pronouns
    She/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    67/0
    Mentioned
    704 times
    Time Online
    349d 13h 30m
    Avg. Time Online
    2h 10m
    Quote Originally Posted by Sci_Girl View Post
    Tell your sister to smarten up and grow up. Not everything needs to be a point of "I'm offended b.s.

That guy is married. Good chance a happy marriage too so leave it at that.
    LOL this is where I was basically going with my examples but like I said she was getting super heated about it and idk

She wants her cake and to eat it too. A whole black cast in any sort of story in invariably going to have conflict/tension, otherwise there'd be no story. That means that the 'bad guy' is going to be black, which I'd predict (based on her petty opinions you've outlined) would offend her for having a negative representation. Does she want perfect, happy, utopian black movies? 1) That would be boring. You cannot have an engaging story without conflict of some type. 2) That would be unrealistic. Surely it is better for black culture to reflect the community/society more accurately. Art is often a conduit for change.
    Yep I agree with you. Then again I told her that when people were making these movies they didn't have a mindset of whatever you're thinking. You think he made Get Out to be pro black but he himself is invalid? No. He made it to be a comedy and that is literally it. I should ask her how she feels about Zootopia but her opinion would be null and void because she's not a fox or something.

Anyway she tried to use some example saying that she told me she doesn't like cherries. She then said I see her eating a cherry pie so I ask her "I thought you didn't like cherries?" and if her answer was "I don't like cherries, but..." then her stance on the fact should be irrelevant because like she said, I saw her eating a cherry pie.

Update: I asked her about Zootopia today and she told me to shut up so I guess our discussion is over LOL
    Last edited by Buizel; 11-26-2017 at 12:54 AM. Reason: Update