Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Should we be scared of artificial intelligence?

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    33/0
    Mentioned
    3 times
    Time Online
    16h 39m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A

Question Should we be scared of artificial intelligence?

With ever evolving artificial intelligence creeping in to every industry from cars to forestry, do you think that we should be afraid of AI?

Do you think we're creating the means to our own destruction? Do you think robots will eventually take over all jobs and leave everyone jobless? Or do you think that it will make our lives better?

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    64/0
    Mentioned
    942 times
    Time Online
    291d 16h 10m
    Avg. Time Online
    1h 55m
    I definitely think they are a threat to workers in the sense that corporations are going to be replacing workers with AI. It depends on the line of work, of course, but many factory jobs especially are going to be automated. Corporations want to make the most profit, and cutting back on the cost of workers with AI would definitely increase profit for them.
    It will be more efficient to have the processes automated, but, in the end, it won't be good for those jobs to be replaced by AI.
    i love luna

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Aura For This Useful Post:

bbuilder (10-09-2017)

Thanks
    DL/UL
    19/0
    Mentioned
    733 times
    Time Online
    158d 26m
    Avg. Time Online
    57m
    I saw, not long ago, a news article about how facebook (I think) gives money into research of AI and they made two computers that could talk with each other, the ones eventually made up a new language that only they could understand and since the people doing the test didn't understand what they were saying, they got scared and shutted down the computers. That made me think about this topic and, as someone who knows nothing about robotics, I also got scared.

I started talking about this with my bf, who is licensed in robotic engineering, and he told me it was a subject often touched with his professors, he basically told me the way artificial intelligence is portraited in movies and media is unreal and he wouldn't be worried to something like that happened since all the programming is human made and everything close to intelligence in robots is made on purpose thanks to the design it has inside. Means, they don't learn by their own out of the blue.

So, everything robots/programs/robotics can do is thanks to human made programming and that's something that can't be replaced. Yes, maybe humans will be able to use robots in many jobs and replace them, but humans will still be needed to fix them, make them, and maintain them.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Pusheen For This Useful Post:

athron (10-09-2017),bbuilder (10-09-2017),phantasia (07-26-2022)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    54/0
    Mentioned
    24 times
    Time Online
    14d 5h 59m
    Avg. Time Online
    7m
    Quote Originally Posted by Rrachel View Post
    So, everything robots/programs/robotics can do is thanks to human made programming and that's something that can't be replaced. Yes, maybe humans will be able to use robots in many jobs and replace them, but humans will still be needed to fix them, make them, and maintain them.
    Your post was perfect but the last part of it was the cherry of the cake!
    People need to remember that humans are the ones who gave knowledge to the machines so they can continue to do what they were trained for. Robots that turn against humans and take over the world are highly unlikely.

In my opinion, we shouldn't be afraid of it but one thing we need to worry about is not the fact that machines could "take" our place in the industry but the creation of biased AI which is the #1 thing we should be actually worried about.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    27/0
    Mentioned
    28 times
    Time Online
    21d 21h 31m
    Avg. Time Online
    10m
    HELL YES we should be afraid!

It's all well and good, starting out like this...

Next thing you know, one day you're just in your PJs about to get your morning coffee when this happens:

For reals though, not really, at least not in our lifetimes. Not even close. We'll be our own #1 threat for the foreseeable future.
    As far as jobs, we will adapt, we always do. Our ancestors, even not so distant ones, couldn't anticipate so many of the professions that exist today, but here we are.
    Last edited by Sugar Rush; 10-10-2017 at 02:14 AM.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    23/0
    Mentioned
    3 times
    Time Online
    17h 15m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    There are two types of AI: Specific and General. Specific AI is like a chess AI, it was designed with one goal in mind and it's only working toward that one thing. General AI is an intelligence that can be given any goal and it has the ability to train itself and work towards whatever parameters its given. Google's DeepMind is a *very* early example of a general AI. They're training it on Go, but the machine learning behind it is being used in a lot of Google products right now.

I think true general AI is something to be concerned about, but I don't think it will become a reality in this century honestly. Though who knows, the rate of change is accelerating exponentially...

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    82/6
    Mentioned
    120 times
    Time Online
    17d 9h 48m
    Avg. Time Online
    5m
    Real artificial intelligence, yes I'm afraid of. And as a programmer I will have nothing to do with.

Anything that looks like a human or is designed as a weapon is a horrible idea.

However, a real BB-8 would be awesome. Just no weapons on it.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    34/0
    Mentioned
    315 times
    Time Online
    49d 2h 15m
    Avg. Time Online
    16m
    Quote Originally Posted by athron View Post
    Your post was perfect but the last part of it was the cherry of the cake!
    People need to remember that humans are the ones who gave knowledge to the machines so they can continue to do what they were trained for. Robots that turn against humans and take over the world are highly unlikely.

In my opinion, we shouldn't be afraid of it but one thing we need to worry about is not the fact that machines could "take" our place in the industry but the creation of biased AI which is the #1 thing we should be actually worried about.
    What happens if we program a robot to determine errors and fix them when they happen? Humans will not be required if we program a bot to essentially be self-sufficient.

Not to mention the Dr. Mengele type shit going on with attempts to give robots a consciousness. If that succeeds we got problems yo.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    54/0
    Mentioned
    24 times
    Time Online
    14d 5h 59m
    Avg. Time Online
    7m
    Quote Originally Posted by Sci_Girl View Post
    What happens if we program a robot to determine errors and fix them when they happen? Humans will not be required if we program a bot to essentially be self-sufficient.

Not to mention the Dr. Mengele type shit going on with attempts to give robots a consciousness. If that succeeds we got problems yo.
    We, right now, don't have enough technology, and/or knowledge, to make something like that, it is really sophisticated and yet we can't create bots that will be able to interact with people on social media without learning racial slurs and other horribles things.
    A robot that will fix it's own errors is something, in my opinion, beyond our time.

Pronouns
    it
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    79/1
    Mentioned
    39 times
    Time Online
    16d 12h 40m
    Avg. Time Online
    7m
    They are a real threat
    So many people will be out of jobs because fat cats want to increase there profits. My dad's work has recently bought a �1000000 machine and sacked 20 workers :/

Also in films like I.Robot AI is just scary as fuck. I don't think it will ever come to that though