DL/UL
    4/0
    Mentioned
    3 times
    Time Online
    1d 19h 43m
    Avg. Time Online
    1m
    I believe gun control is necessary. But I do not think banning guns as a whole is necessary. A lot of gun violence in the states can be fixed by closing the economic gaps between rich and poor, but that's a discussion in itself that I'm not gonna get into. Banning automatic weapons makes sense, at a minimum those should be restricted to ownership by gun ranges only, there's no use for automatic weapons outside of entertainment and warfare. The big problem with gun laws in the states is that every state needs to follow suit for it to work. Look at Chicago, tough gun laws yet there's a high rate of gun violence. Why? Because the Illinois' shithole neighbour Indiana gives guns out like candy. All the criminals have to do is drive to Indiana and bam Illinois gun laws are useless. The argument that if guns are banned only the bad guys will have guns is ignorant as fuck, if you follow that logic then why do we bother controlling access to stuff like recreational drugs. Why do we criminalize murder if it doesn't stop 'bad guys' from doing it. USA needs to follow in the footsteps of its neighbour to the north. Canada decent gun laws for the most part, the laws also don't really vary by location. Background checks, banning convicted criminals, and requiring fire arms safety courses are important. With all this being said, I plan on getting my possession and acquisition license in the future so I can go hunting.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    37/0
    Mentioned
    376 times
    Time Online
    57d 23h N/A
    Avg. Time Online
    22m
    Quote Originally Posted by jack35999 View Post
    I believe gun control is necessary. But I do not think banning guns as a whole is necessary. A lot of gun violence in the states can be fixed by closing the economic gaps between rich and poor, but that's a discussion in itself that I'm not gonna get into. Banning automatic weapons makes sense, at a minimum those should be restricted to ownership by gun ranges only, there's no use for automatic weapons outside of entertainment and warfare. The big problem with gun laws in the states is that every state needs to follow suit for it to work. Look at Chicago, tough gun laws yet there's a high rate of gun violence. Why? Because the Illinois' shithole neighbour Indiana gives guns out like candy. All the criminals have to do is drive to Indiana and bam Illinois gun laws are useless. The argument that if guns are banned only the bad guys will have guns is ignorant as fuck, if you follow that logic then why do we bother controlling access to stuff like recreational drugs. Why do we criminalize murder if it doesn't stop 'bad guys' from doing it. USA needs to follow in the footsteps of its neighbour to the north. Canada decent gun laws for the most part, the laws also don't really vary by location. Background checks, banning convicted criminals, and requiring fire arms safety courses are important. With all this being said, I plan on getting my possession and acquisition license in the future so I can go hunting.
    Background checks: mandatory for every firearm purchase at the federal level from a licensed firearms dealer

Banning criminals: anyone convicted of any felony or any violent crime is banned from owning firearms. In addition, felons can get arrested for walking down the street with so much as a screwdriver in their pocket

Firearms safey courses: mandatory before any citizen can own so much as a .22LR.

I have said it a hundred times; I agree with more strict laws when it comes to owning firearms. Automatic firearms are banned for any normal citizen, have been since 1986. Ar-15s have never been used by any US military branch. You cannot walk in to any store that sells firearms and walk out without having a permit to carry or permit to purchase, which before obtaining you must undergo an extensive background check. I had to take a course proving my knowledge on safety and legality of owning any firearm, as well as prove my ability to practice safe and accurate handling in a live setting, before I was able to receive my permit to carry my pistol.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Misha For This Useful Post:

♥ PrettySarcastic ♥ (01-05-2019),Teakwood (02-06-2019)

Thanks
    DL/UL
    42/0
    Mentioned
    7 times
    Time Online
    15d 22h 51m
    Avg. Time Online
    5m
    I don't really see why, in 2019, the citizens need guns in america.

this isnt the old west in 1800s, where any shit goes. people got robbed, squatters stayed on their properties, stole their cattle and livestock...

the old white men who founded america needed guns back THEN, but in this highly modernized society, i dont really see why citizens need to carry a gun to fucking mcdonalds.
    its just like, why? they just like to carry one just because they can and its written on some amendment made 200 years ago.
    but since they are so widely distributed now, it would be nearly impossible to get them out of everyone's hands. i almost think its too late to change it now?

in other words, i think we are stuck in a loophole where if we took guns away, you couldn't completely get rid of all of them ,unless police went to every registered persons home and repossessed them. AND THEN some people would be left defenseless to the others who own a gun illegally.(i.e without papers or no location)

i really don't think there's any hope for america at this point, just stay out of public areas/schools or malls that seem to get targeted a lot if possible.
    Last edited by lorie; 06-05-2019 at 05:09 PM.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    37/0
    Mentioned
    376 times
    Time Online
    57d 23h N/A
    Avg. Time Online
    22m
    Quote Originally Posted by lorie View Post
    I don't really see why, in 2019, the citizens need guns in america.

this isnt the old west in 1800s, where any shit goes. people got robbed, squatters stayed on their properties, stole their cattle and livestock...

the old white men who founded america needed guns back THEN, but in this highly modernized society, i dont really see why citizens need to carry a gun to fucking mcdonalds.
    its just like, why? they just like to carry one just because they can and its written on some amendment made 200 years ago.
    but since they are so widely distributed now, it would be nearly impossible to get them out of everyone's hands. i almost think its too late to change it now?

in other words, i think we are stuck in a loophole where if we took guns away, you couldn't completely get rid of all of them ,unless police went to every registered persons home and repossessed them. AND THEN some people would be left defenseless to the others who own a gun illegally.(i.e without papers or no location)

i really don't think there's any hope for america at this point, just stay out of public areas/schools or malls that seem to get targeted a lot if possible.
    Look at Venezuela. Less than 10 years after gun ownership is taken from citizens and now the government is mowing people down in armored vehicles.

The point isn't to just walk around armed because we can. It comes down to much more than that. We are a central hub for the most dangerous criminal enterprises in the world, we have more guns in one state than most entire countries have. The amount of illegal firearms that cross the border every day is unparalleled to anywhere else in the world. If you want to break it down in to per capita gun violence to gun ownership, we are ranked something like 110th on the list of gun violence.

All that crap aside,

The 2A is in place for citizens to have the ability to overthrow a tyrannical government should we need to. We should be afforded the same weapons that our government uses (which we aren't and more of our rights are being taken every day). The entire reason for the amendment was based on how our country was founded (less the genocide of native americans, which I do not condone at all).

You are right though, there are too many guns for citizen ownership to be anywhere near banned. We would easily overthrow the government should it come down to that. Most of the people working for the government and our armed forces are large supporters of citizen gun ownership and would not adhere to some type of martial law bullshit if it came down to it. The only way America's guns will disappear is a nuclear war that decimated the entire country. Also, the media completely glorifies the tragedies and fails to report the GOOD that happens daily to law abiding citizens who use their firearms to protect the innocent from harm.

I will say it again for shits and giggles, if you don't live here you have zero insight as to what gun ownership is in this country or what would "work" for us. Just ask Drizzy.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    2/0
    Mentioned
    Never
    Time Online
    6h N/A
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    Can't say I approve of guns and personally would never own one. I could understand maybe using them at a target range or something for fun but needing to have one at your home seems overly paranoid. There are cases where they are used in self defense but I sure wish I heard those sorts of stories rather than what seem to be monthly mass shootings in the news.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    37/0
    Mentioned
    376 times
    Time Online
    57d 23h N/A
    Avg. Time Online
    22m
    Quote Originally Posted by Kia View Post
    Can't say I approve of guns and personally would never own one. I could understand maybe using them at a target range or something for fun but needing to have one at your home seems overly paranoid. There are cases where they are used in self defense but I sure wish I heard those sorts of stories rather than what seem to be monthly mass shootings in the news.
    67,740 cases on average per year where a gun is used in self defense. That's almost 70,000 people a year who refuse to be victims.

Pronouns
    they/them
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    6/0
    Mentioned
    48 times
    Time Online
    11d 6h 53m
    Avg. Time Online
    8m
    Gun culture in America is a curse. I live in an area that recently had a terrible mass shooting. The gun was legal. The area it happened in has gun stores, gun ranges, military gear readily available a two minute walk from supermarkets, religious places, and community centers. I'm never farther than 5 minutes away from another gun shop or shooting range, it's so fucking ridiculous. There's also a high culture of racism and queerphobia here, and it makes me incredibly uneasy going out in public knowing all these white supremacists have guns.

If our fascist government and police weren't so heavily militarized and armed, I would say a 100% removal of guns (ESPECIALLY FROM COPS) would be a hell of a lot safer. But because we don't live in a bubble and I am not naive, I would never call for removal of guns from those most at-risk to being attacked by pigs and feds: brown, Black & Indigenous people, disabled people, immigrants, activists, and queer people; many of whom are already dying at the hands of the US. (Not that a gun would save us in any of these situations because we'd certainly end up dead, or at best jailed for life for defense against a supremacist) In a less fascist environment, I know for a fact that these mass killings would stop if guns were removed from society. Instantly. And domestic violence deaths would decrease. Domestic terrorism violence would DRASTICALLY be reduced. Military and pigs are especially more prone to gun-related violence. The "bad guys and criminals" y'all mention with guns with countries who have them banned aren't the ones committing mass murder in the US.

People can say "guns don't kill people, people do," all they want but nothing is as easy for mass killing as a gun is and you sure can't do the same damage in the same time to the same amount of people with a knife or any blunt weapon that you can with a gun. In a perfect world with no police and military, nobody would even need one for self-defence.

So while I hate guns, would never own one, and feel unsafe in any home with them, I can't morally call for the banishment of them knowing it'd hurt America's most at-risk communities, because even a gun ban would likely not include cops and military, who MOST NEED them banned. I honestly only "support" gun ownership coming from those I mentioned earlier (BIPOC mostly) in the political climate today. Anyone else can go kick rocks because they have no reason for having a gun.

The facts are... most gun violence in the United States, by far, is from the police force. And nearly all mass murders are carried out by white domestic terrorists. Strip those in power from their guns and then see how the country changes overnight.
    Last edited by Cookie Tray; 06-17-2019 at 08:56 AM. Reason: left out a few key words

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cookie Tray For This Useful Post:

Bomb (09-06-2019),GloomGloom (06-17-2019)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    47/0
    Mentioned
    10 times
    Time Online
    4d 8h 22m
    Avg. Time Online
    1m
    Quote Originally Posted by Transaction View Post
    Gun culture in America is a curse. I live in an area that recently had a terrible mass shooting. The gun was legal. The area it happened in has gun stores, gun ranges, military gear readily available a two minute walk from supermarkets, religious places, and community centers. I'm never farther than 5 minutes away from another gun shop or shooting range, it's so fucking ridiculous. There's also a high culture of racism and queerphobia here, and it makes me incredibly uneasy going out in public knowing all these white supremacists have guns.

If our fascist government and police weren't so heavily militarized and armed, I would say a 100% removal of guns (ESPECIALLY FROM COPS) would be a hell of a lot safer. But because we don't live in a bubble and I am not naive, I would never call for removal of guns from those most at-risk to being attacked by pigs and feds: brown, Black & Indigenous people, disabled people, immigrants, activists, and queer people; many of whom are already dying at the hands of the US. (Not that a gun would save us in any of these situations because we'd certainly end up dead, or at best jailed for life for defense against a supremacist) In a less fascist environment, I know for a fact that these mass killings would stop if guns were removed from society. Instantly. And domestic violence deaths would decrease. Domestic terrorism violence would DRASTICALLY be reduced. Military and pigs are especially more prone to gun-related violence. The "bad guys and criminals" y'all mention with guns with countries who have them banned aren't the ones committing mass murder in the US.

People can say "guns don't kill people, people do," all they want but nothing is as easy for mass killing as a gun is and you sure can't do the same damage in the same time to the same amount of people with a knife or any blunt weapon that you can with a gun. In a perfect world with no police and military, nobody would even need one for self-defence.

So while I hate guns, would never own one, and feel unsafe in any home with them, I can't morally call for the banishment of them knowing it'd hurt America's most at-risk communities, because even a gun ban would likely not include cops and military, who MOST NEED them banned. I honestly only "support" gun ownership coming from those I mentioned earlier (BIPOC mostly) in the political climate today. Anyone else can go kick rocks because they have no reason for having a gun.

The facts are... most gun violence in the United States, by far, is from the police force. And nearly all mass murders are carried out by white domestic terrorists. Strip those in power from their guns and then see how the country changes overnight.
    So when one of these criminals are holding up a bank with gun, who is going to stop them if the police have nothing? I am sorry but i do not understand your reasoning. Many of these cases of police violence(Which is another debate in itself) only show one side of things. If you put yourself in the police's shoes especially in america today with people hating police and calling them pigs constantly, this behavior causes paranoia. If you would like to have an intelligent debate police violence by all means I am up for it and would be more then willing to counter any argument you make. To stay on topic though, the second amendment does protect from the government. Look at Nazi Germany, the first thing that was taken away was guns. Not everyone supported the Nazi's but they couldn't defend themselves.

Pronouns
    they/them
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    6/0
    Mentioned
    48 times
    Time Online
    11d 6h 53m
    Avg. Time Online
    8m
    Quote Originally Posted by Ape View Post
    So when one of these criminals are holding up a bank with gun, who is going to stop them if the police have nothing? I am sorry but i do not understand your reasoning. Many of these cases of police violence(Which is another debate in itself) only show one side of things. If you put yourself in the police's shoes especially in america today with people hating police and calling them pigs constantly, this behavior causes paranoia. If you would like to have an intelligent debate police violence by all means I am up for it and would be more then willing to counter any argument you make. To stay on topic though, the second amendment does protect from the government. Look at Nazi Germany, the first thing that was taken away was guns. Not everyone supported the Nazi's but they couldn't defend themselves.
    It's not causing paranoia, pigs kill people. It is a fact. They do not protect citizens; they protect property. The fact that you're insinuating everything I've already mentioned is NOT an "intelligent debate" shows your bias, and also the fact that you think this is just a debate of ideas and not something millions of people have to live through daily. I'm disabled, I'm brown, and I'm trans. The police are a direct threat to my existence because they kill people like me with absolutely no recourse. Banks have insurance. Banks have been given money (literally billions of dollars) from our govt many times despite banks being incredibly shady to say the least. Why is "a criminal holding up a bank with a gun" a dangerous scenario to you, moreso than police mass killing specific types of people with no repercussions, for absolutely no reason? Why do you value money in a bank more than you value human lives?

As I said: The "bad guys and criminals" y'all mention with guns with countries who have them banned aren't the ones committing mass murder in the US.

I've literally been help up at gunpoint. I was robbed at gunpoint and I knew I was not in danger. Because a regular person with a gun doesn't want to hurt you, they want to intimidate you. This is what you label a "criminal." However, military vets and cops have been TRAINED to shoot people. They are trained to kill. They have been brainwashed into thinking they need to shoot first and ask questions later, no matter what you are doing. No matter if you comply.

People sure love to point at Nazi Germany as The Ultimate Fascist Nation as if we aren't living through that exactly right now in the US with concentration camps and guns aren't outlawed and STILL we have nothing to protect ourselves because it is the govt and police who are overmilitarized. What is a gun going to do against ICE? What will a gun do for the thousands of children and sick people killed in police custody? When faced with a gun, the police who have bigger guns, are going to shoot first. You're dead either way.

Anyway. If you don't "understand my reasoning" it's because you don't live these life experiences, you are protected from being targeted by police. You don't have to fear your friends and family never coming home because they had an interaction with gun-toting pigs. I'm glad for you, but you need to realize that you are lucky for that, not smarter or wiser.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    1/0
    Mentioned
    Never
    Time Online
    1h 25m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    Apologies for the very large (well, seems large right now) reply.

Personally, I'm a fan of more gun control. Or at the very least, more liability for owning your gun.
    If your kid can steal your gun and shoot up a school, you should be charged with something. Your lack of safety caused people to die. If you're going to own a gun, you need to own up to the fact that it's *dangerous*.
    As far as people who are like "but people will still get them from black markets!"
    Statistics: An estimated 287,400 prisoners possessed a firearm during their offense, 56% had either: stolen it(6%), found it at the scene(7%), or got it from the street/underground market(43%)
    Most of the remainder(25%) had gotten it from family/friend or as a gift. 7% bought it under their own name, from a licensed dealer.
    80%(ish, if I remember right) had purchased/gotten the gun without the intent to use it in a crime.

There's also some hefty difference in statistics as to what crimes were committed with those guns, and how many of them actually used their guns. (If I remember right, around 19% of violent-crime state prisoners didn't even fire the gun)
    Mostly that homicides and in-person robberies are where people fired their guns the most.

So, if you were unable to purchase guns as freely, or at least make it not legal for gun ownership transfer between unlicensed people, that would curb off 25% of those guns. If you weren't able to own a gun, or sell guns as freely, then I believe it would also help pull a lot of current guns away from the availability of criminals, since police would have more "freedom" to take guns. Right now you can walk down the street with a gun plainly visible, or even hidden if you have the permit. With more control on things like that, it would open up a lot more arrests for having them.
    The biggest issue though, I think, that people are talking about is just the fact that we have so many mass shootings. High school shootings to be specific (though the others are also a pretty big problem).
    That's where gun ownership liability should come in.
    If Uncle Tommy comes in and asks for your gun, and you give it to him, and he goes out to shoot someone, your license should be permanently removed with no chance of ever owning a gun (legally) ever again.
    If your kid grabs your gun off the gun rack, pumps it full of ammo on your dresser, goes out and shoots up a school, you should be charged with firearm neglect, with a chance of jail (not like 10 years in prison jail, I mean like a couple months in the local jail), and again a permanent removal of your license to ever own a gun ever again. With restrictions and ramifications this severe, you'd definitely see a decrease in the "I grabbed my dad's gun and shot people haha" area.
    I also don't think those would be unfair restrictions. If you want to own a gun, you need to be responsible about it, you need to be liable for owning this machine that exists literally to kill things.

As far as police brutality and such goes, something I learned recently is that one of the problems there are the police unions. The city can't just outright fire an officer, because unions. If an officer shoots someone, the city can't fire him.
    The other side is (as someone pointed out) a lot of people say they want guns to protect their freedoms, if the government ever goes "okay we're in control now"
    What are you going to do? Fire a gun at a tank? Fight a group of trained soldiers? Build a militia of your own in secret to combat said soldiers? In what time frame? If that ever happens, it's not gonna be like "yeah I think we're gonna take over the country soon, guys" and do something months later. It's a slow shift that nobody realizes until suddenly "marshal law" is in place.
    Another (very much less accurate and non-sourced) statistics is that people are more likely to walk away from a crime in progress rather than go in and help, or even report it. You think people like that are going to suddenly band together to fight their GOVERNMENT?

Prisoner Statistic Source: (you need an account to see links)

---------- Post added at 05:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:45 PM ----------

I just realized this was also a bit of a grave dig.
    My bad, it was near the top of the section, I thought it was still more active.