35/0
    Mentioned
    10 times
    Time Online
    14d 2h 16m
    Avg. Time Online
    4m

Gun Law in America

So given the recent events in Vegas we were having a discussion in work about the Gun law in the US. Now I'm based in the UK so to us the right to own a gun is not one I've ever known.

I'm curious as to how many people believe the right to own such weapons should remain in force. If you believe you should have this right then can I ask why?

Do you think Trump will do anything about it?

I suppose one difficulty is if he did ban it then you run the risk of having a bunch of people give their weapons in and then some keeping their's illegally... And then how would you defend yourself against those people...

Equally guns are expensive, will Trump have some sort of compensation for giving a weapon in?

On the flip side even so would it not prevent incidents like Vegas?

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    200/0
    Mentioned
    54 times
    Time Online
    66d 8h 8m
    Avg. Time Online
    22m
    People find a way. I don't think banning weapons is the way to go. HOWEVER, I do believe we should ban automatic weapons COMPLETELY. Some states its legal to carry an Automatic Rifle... WHY ON EARTH WOULD YOU NEED THAT lol

3. The Following User Says Thank You to EvolutionZzZ For This Useful Post:

Clair (10-04-2017)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    31/0
    Mentioned
    3 times
    Time Online
    1d 8h 17m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    I live in Brazil and here we have gun control. If you need guns to defend yourself and you want a legal gun you'll have to pay a lot of money - we already pay a lot of taxes and get nothing in return - such as public safety. The only people that own guns here are the bad guys. Banning doesn't work, it will simply desarm the good guys, making it easier for the bad guys to run free Please USA, don't follow Brazil's example.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to varney For This Useful Post:

Menine (10-16-2017),Misha (10-06-2017)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    35/0
    Mentioned
    9 times
    Time Online
    8d 12h 31m
    Avg. Time Online
    4m
    Quote Originally Posted by Diablos View Post
    I suppose one difficulty is if he did ban it then you run the risk of having a bunch of people give their weapons in and then some keeping their's illegally... And then how would you defend yourself against those people...

Equally guns are expensive, will Trump have some sort of compensation for giving a weapon in?

On the flip side even so would it not prevent incidents like Vegas?
    I don't live in USA either. It's true that no guns means less deaths due to gun violence. But guaranteed there would be so much backlash, and I doubt many people would give up their guns. I just don't think its possible :/.

Also if USA ever somehow got invaded, or the government got out of control etc (I know I'm reaching here) people would have their own means of defending themselves.

Either way I think there is no easy solution to this sort of problem. There will always be that 1 psychopath with no political/religious motive only killing for the bloodlust/fame. Terrorism is a whole other topic which I do believe can be more controlled. Unfortunately if its not gun violence it'll be homemade bombs, cars/trucks plowing through people, knives, acid etc. :/. Those acid attacks scare me the most tbh.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    64/0
    Mentioned
    942 times
    Time Online
    291d 16h 10m
    Avg. Time Online
    1h 55m
    There is a dire need of more regulations to be placed. This is obvious by the sheer amount of terrorism and killing that has been allowed to happen in America. After Sandyhook, however, I've lost much faith in America to change their regulations and enforce tighter controls.

(you need an account to see links)
    i love luna

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Aura For This Useful Post:

Cookie Tray (06-17-2019),Meowlily (10-04-2017)

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    172/0
    Mentioned
    657 times
    Time Online
    182d 5h 28m
    Avg. Time Online
    1h 16m
    I was amazed when I read that the bill to make people whose mental illness was so severe they were only disability payments had been revoked.
    I know that Australia is often used as the example in this discussion. In the early late 80s- early 90s, we had a couple of spree killings with guns. Then, in 1996 we had the Port Arthur Massacre, in which 35 were killed. In response to that, the government tightened gun regulations. Since then, we've had a couple of sieges and family-killings, but nothing as severe or frequent. Growing up, I didn't see guns, nor feel comfortable being around them. When I moved out to a more rural area, it was a bit of a culture shock that people had guns, but they went pig and roo hunting. It's not like our country just doesn't have them anymore, it's just more limited.
    I don't believe that automatic weapons have a legitimate place with civilians. I don't believe that semi-automatic weapons with magazines of more than a few rounds do either. Moreover, it shouldn't be possible to 'convert' guns with bumpers or anything like that. That's not needed.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    33/0
    Mentioned
    3 times
    Time Online
    16h 39m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    The most surprising thing is just how little oversight there is for people buying guns. Canada and Iceland for example also let people buy guns but there you have to get a license which in Canada I know involves a 2 day course and a background check. In iceland they even have environmental courses which they have to take before they get a gun.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    1/0
    Mentioned
    128 times
    Time Online
    64d 11h 12m
    Avg. Time Online
    22m
    My biggest thing is the automatic weapons.
    Like he shot 500 people . . . why would anyone possible need a gun like that for personal defense or hunting?
    Let people have hand guns or hunting rifles, whatever.
    But how is it that any civilian is allowed to own a weapon that can literally mow down an entire crowd of people?
    It's insanity.

Thank you to Monsters for this beautiful gif. <3 (It died with tinypic, press F)
    @Andrew 15!!!!

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Clair For This Useful Post:

Cath (10-04-2017),Efron (12-13-2017),EvolutionZzZ (10-04-2017),Meowlily (10-04-2017)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    30/0
    Mentioned
    1,998 times
    Time Online
    435d 9h 54m
    Avg. Time Online
    2h 29m
    First off... it absolutely sickens me that less than 12 hours after this tragedy, the news outlets were already pushing their gun control agendas. People are literally fighting for their lives, dying, and the media as well as groups of people are pushing gun control.

There definitely needs to be restrictions as to who can buy them and how many they can buy. There needs to be proper training, background checks and rules in place as to the transfer of ownership. There does not need to be a blanket ban. That will not solve anything. I know it’s cliche.. but guns don’t kill people. People kill people.

If owning a gun were to be made illegal, you’d be doing nothing but putting a large majority of the population at a disadvantage. It’s not too difficult to illegally purchase a firearm on the steeet. If somebody wants it bad enough, they will get it. Plain and simple. What would happen if owning a firearm were made illegal is you’d be unarming people and making them easier targets, unable to defend themselves. “To conquer a nation, you must first disarm its citizens”. I don’t know about you guys, but I don’t particularly trust the government now, or in years passed. I own a firearm and plan to get more at some point. Making owning a gun illegal would be like making the sale and use of drugs illegal. That has worked out amazingly for us so far.

Whether Trump does or doesn’t do something is an entirely different question. It’s not as black and white as that. I will say that I was pleased with his response to the tragedy. I wasn’t sure how he’d handle it but he has handled this, as well as some of the most devestaring hurricanes ever, quite well. I’m sure it will be touched on but I don’t see much legislation being pushed through anytime soon... not with tax reform and health care looming overhead.
    Last edited by I_royalty_I; 10-04-2017 at 11:21 PM.
    What's my definition of success?
    Creating something no one else can
    Being brave enough to dream big
    Grindin' when you're told to just quit
    Giving more when you got nothin' left

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to I_royalty_I For This Useful Post:

chinchillasquared (11-20-2017),Headache (12-17-2017),Lilac Tentacles (10-05-2017)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    6/0
    Mentioned
    47 times
    Time Online
    32d 10h 53m
    Avg. Time Online
    11m
    The US seriously needs gun control. I am not saying ban them completely, however, no one needs 30+ rifles, automatic guns or whatever. I am personally not a fan of guns and I would never own one; not even for self defense. I would prefer a taser and some pepper spray.
    There needs to be stricter laws on obtaining guns and on who can own them. Like @(you need an account to see links) said, after Sandy Hook and all those children were killed and nothing was done about the issue, there is no way anything could make the government change their mind on them. If innocent kids getting killed is bearable, then the gun control debate is over.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to people For This Useful Post:

Sugar Rush (10-06-2017)