Mentioned
    202 times
    Time Online
    40d 5h 1m
    Avg. Time Online
    15m

The K-Pop Thread

🎤🎶 The K-Pop Corner 🎶🎸

As i notice that the old K-pop . threads are all buried or mostly on a single group/band, so i thought it might be fun to make a General K-pop Discussion thread.
    Lets chill with a cup of coffee ☕, tea 🍵 or beer 🍺 and chat / discuss on anything related to K-pop .

🎧 Some of the stuffs you might like to share ? 🎧
    🇰🇷🎶 - What got you into K-pop . / What do you like about K-pop
    🎧 - Favorite K-pop . song/tracks
    💗 - The K-pop . artists you like
    📀 - Merchs that you own/ bought
    🫰🏻💕 - Fan group you belong to / share your bias or stan
    🎼🎸 - Idol groups Comebacks / live

Come join in the fun 🎶

💖 Club Members Bias List 💖
    @(you need an account to see links) - JiU (Dreamcatcher)
    @(you need an account to see links) - Yuju (Gfriend/Viviz)
    @(you need an account to see links) - Ji-Soo (Blackpink)
    @(you need an account to see links) - Jennie (Blackpink)
    @(you need an account to see links) - Hwasa (Mamamoo)
    @(you need an account to see links) - IU
    @(you need an account to see links) - Ex Loona
    @(you need an account to see links) - Yuna (ITZY)
    @(you need an account to see links) - Yunjin (LE SSERAFIM)
    Members 🫰🏻
    🎶- The ones who shared a post -🎶
    @(you need an account to see links)

(you need an account to see links)

🎶 Like to thank $(you need an account to see links) for the support and idea to create this thread🎶
    Last edited by KJiU; 3 Weeks Ago at 11:29 PM. Reason: New Club Member or Bias/Stan added 🎶

2. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to KJiU For This Useful Post:

Alister (04-20-2023),Clefairy (04-18-2023),Excalibur (09-30-2023),Flordibel (04-06-2023),Ice (04-05-2023),Narkotiq (04-06-2023),Polorin (04-05-2023),Slowpoke (04-05-2023),Zenitsu (04-05-2023)

Pronouns
    he/him
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    66/0
    Mentioned
    202 times
    Time Online
    40d 5h 1m
    Avg. Time Online
    15m
    Would be interesting to see everyone's story on how to get to know / got into K-pop.

I first got to know K-pop through anime (Inuyasha) as the ending song Every Heart (still one of my fav) was sung by BoA, then i went to search for her and the gateway has been open. But i only started to go into K-pop at the 2nd-3rd Gen thou

But for an actual deep dive into group bias / fandom was through DreamCatcher as back then their first debut (re-debut after MINX was scraped) was Chase Me , which has the anime vibe that caught my attention. Somehow i drifted to Twice , GFriend then to Apink and back to DreamCatcher , as for the actual stan i was a pink panda but then back to Somnia (not gonna switch anymore)

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KJiU For This Useful Post:

Ice (04-05-2023),Slowpoke (04-05-2023)

Pronouns
    She/Her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    21/0
    Mentioned
    937 times
    Time Online
    116d 6h 6m
    Avg. Time Online
    40m
    Whoo fellow kpoppers I may know jack shit about western music but I have a useless plethora of kpop factoids stored in my noggin 😂

Interestingly enough I was also exposed to kpop (and jpop) through BoA - when I was a child maybe around 8 or so my mom showed me a video of BoA performing and was like "she's around your age, why can't you be like her?" 🤣 to this day though BoA is one of my favorite artists! She's so talented and I respect her so much. But as a kid listening to some of my mom's random CDs I did listen to a lot of Lee Hyori's early stuff too lol.

I didn't keep up with it too closely in my tween years, it wasn't until maybe freshman year in high school that I got reintroduced to it via SHINee because I had an internet friend who was OBSESSED with SHINee and she would quiz me on recognizing the members by name because I thought they all looked the same. 😅 Whoops sorry boys lol! High school through uni was a pretty strong fangirling phase and it's where I discovered my favorite group of all time, TVXQ. 😥 I feel off the train after graduating though but got back into it in the last however many years, but interestingly enough now that I'm a much older adult I can't find any interest in enjoying the boy groups because they're all so goddamn young LOL. Instead I support all my favorite girl groups like Amy Poehler in Mean Girls haha they're all my precious daughters I want to protect 🥺 I have tons of 2nd/3rd gen biases since it's a super nostalgic period for me but I've been getting into several 4th gen rookie groups like Purple Kiss, STAYC, IVE, woo-ah!, and Billlie.

If anyone ever needs girl group kpop recs, I have them in spades!!

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ice For This Useful Post:

KJiU (04-05-2023),Slowpoke (04-05-2023)

Pronouns
    he/him
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    66/0
    Mentioned
    202 times
    Time Online
    40d 5h 1m
    Avg. Time Online
    15m
    @(you need an account to see links) i think while we wait for new people to join we can start of with recommend @(you need an account to see links) on some artist/group , slowpoke you can let us know of the genre you like haha

-Edited i forgot to add this earlier haha
    Wanted to say that i just realized today that 2NE1 is actually called to anyone / 21 , although i have known them from gen2 through IU & Thunder (MBLAQ) as Sandara Park was his sister (although they have already disbanded)

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KJiU For This Useful Post:

Ice (04-06-2023),Slowpoke (04-06-2023)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    33/0
    Mentioned
    331 times
    Time Online
    124d 23h 3m
    Avg. Time Online
    2h 17m
    So I don't know anything about K-pop other than whatever I may have been exposed to from anime and from falling in deep love with the song The Feels by TWICE, which I happened to hear when I was picking up some Korean fried chicken. I wish I knew more about it but it feels overwhelming with not having an idea of where to start. If there's a jumping off point one of you would recommend I'd be very appreciative! I have no idea how to try and narrow the focus down to a good place to start since (I assume) there's tons of variety within it.

It'd be like someone asking me vs my mom what's some good country music to check out, I'd tell you Waiting Around to Die by Townes Van Zandt and my mom meanwhile would swoop in with some She Thinks My Tractor’s Sexy. Both country but a whole ass galaxy apart from each other lol

sea serpent ryu by GWN | star gazing ub GreyFaerie | serpent scales ub by Infected | avatar by Dita
    consolidation of all four beauties by Lyrichord
    better quality images on petpage in spoilers

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Alister For This Useful Post:

Ice (04-06-2023),KJiU (04-06-2023)

*hair toss*
    Pronouns
    She/her/hers
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    58/0
    Mentioned
    401 times
    Time Online
    82d 1h 11m
    Avg. Time Online
    47m
    It's so cool to read people's kpop "origin stories!" Mine was... hmm, let's see. I briefly listened to SHINee around 2011 (Tumblr looooved the (you need an account to see links)), and I liked the aesthetics and performative nature of it. I was pretty big into One Direction at the time, though, and didn't split my interests.

Around... mm, 2018? I think? A friend showed me the group SEVENTEEN, and I was kind of floored by how the genre had shifted. The first video I saw was "(you need an account to see links)," which is a really vulnerable and emotional song, a far cry from the chrome and space age aesthetics of the one kpop vid I remembered. And their dancing was so clean!

And then I started watching videos and fell for them HARD. Lol. It took me ages to learn all of them and even BEGIN to have a bias (and honestly it still changes from day-to-day, fake kpop stan alert here), but they're just a giant puppy pile and they make me smile every time I see them. The dedication to their craft and their fans is so admirable, and you get the sense that they just really love performing too!

There's also a gender aspect in kpop for me as well, which I've never been able to REALLY explain. I tell people that my ideal gender is a kpop boy and iykyk, but most people don't lol

For me the coolest thing that I actually didn't realize until recently is how much Sims 4 Custom Content clothing is based in kpop now - I look at the CC I downloaded around 2015, and the stuff I downloaded last month, and the fashions are just STRAIGHT out of South Korea. It's so interesting!
    Last edited by Flordibel; 04-06-2023 at 10:24 AM.

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Flordibel For This Useful Post:

Alister (04-06-2023),Ice (04-06-2023),KJiU (04-06-2023),Slowpoke (04-06-2023)

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    23/0
    Mentioned
    138 times
    Time Online
    84d 14h 8m
    Avg. Time Online
    37m
    Quote Originally Posted by KJiU View Post
    @(you need an account to see links) i think while we wait for new people to join we can start of with recommend @(you need an account to see links) on some artist/group , slowpoke you can let us know of the genre you like haha

-Edited i forgot to add this earlier haha
    Wanted to say that i just realized today that 2NE1 is actually called to anyone / 21 , although i have known them from gen2 through IU & Thunder (MBLAQ) as Sandara Park was his sister (although they have already disbanded)
    Omg, yes. Please gimmie some recommendations! I'd love to listen to some new K-pop!!! I also got into it through anime in middle school, but I haven't listened to it very much in the past few years other than a few select songs I overplayed Where shall I start? Some of the artists I've enjoyed listening to in the past:
    TWICE, (G)I-DLE, Red Velvet, Exo. I also looove Hyuna. I went through a BlackPink phase (didn't everyone? lowkey) but I don't like a lot of their newer stuff. I'm really open to try listening to anything!! c:
    ♥  slowpoke  ♥

♥  thanks, Zenitsu! for the art + graphics! ilysm! ♥
    ♥  thanks, Woohoo for the avatar!! ♥
    ♥  thanks, Lyrichord for the profile picture! ♥
    ♥  thanks, Charmander for the custom Ryu + userbar! ♥

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Slowpoke For This Useful Post:

Ice (04-06-2023),KJiU (04-06-2023),Zenitsu (04-07-2023)

Pronouns
    He/Him
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    146/0
    Mentioned
    75 times
    Time Online
    42d 9h 18m
    Avg. Time Online
    14m
    🎤What got you into K-pop - I got into Kpop way back in high school (graduated 15 yrs ago) by hearing a BoA song in Japanese which lead me to her Korean stuff which lead me to KPop.

🎤What do you like about K-pop - The Korean Language, A lot of the instruments they use in asia.

🎤Merchs that you own/ bought - Red Velvet, Mamamoo, Itzy, and Blackpink Facemasks, Blackpink Hoodies and Tshirts, Mamamoo and Dreamcatcher Posters, Mamamoo - Pink Funky, BTS - BE, Blackpink - Square Up, All 4 designs of the Blackpink The Album Box Set, All the Blackpink Microphone Action Figure thingies, Jisoo Coffee Mug, Bunch of stickers, tattoos, Photo cards from various fandoms,

🎤Favorite Groups / Your Bias:

(not all active groups/artists)

G-Idle - Yuqi
    Blackpink - Jisoo
    DREAMCATCHER - Siyeon
    MAMAMOO - Solar
    Red Velvet - Seugli
    Aespa - NingNing
    Orange Caramel - Nana
    NCT Dream - Jaemin & Haechan <3
    EVERGLOW - YiRen
    CLC - Sorn
    GFriend/Viviz - EunHa
    Itzy - RyuJin
    Ive - GaEul
    PurpleKiss - Chaein
    Park Bom
    Hong Jin Young
    Jessi
    AleXa
    ChungHa
    CL
    Hyuna
    HYO
    Hyolyn
    SunMi
    Somi

No bias:

4Minute
    2NE1
    Brown Eyed Girls
    BVNDIT
    Xdinary Heroes (Metal/Rock)
    Rolling Quartz (Metal/Rock)
    Diablo (Metal/Rock)
    Day6 (Rock)
    Brave Girls
    Crayon Pop
    Pink Fantasy
    Apink
    StayC
    Cherry Bullet
    DreamNote
    f(x)
    Kep1er
    KARA
    LOONA
    T-ARA
    TRI.BE
    NATURE
    WJSN

Probably missed a bunch lol. Glad to see there are more Kpop fans here!
    Last edited by Narkotiq; 04-06-2023 at 10:34 PM. Reason: Forgot PurpleKiss

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Narkotiq For This Useful Post:

Ice (04-06-2023),KJiU (04-06-2023)

Pronouns
    She/Her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    21/0
    Mentioned
    937 times
    Time Online
    116d 6h 6m
    Avg. Time Online
    40m
    @(you need an account to see links) honestly if you are not super picky/open to listening to anything, I recommend finding an up to date (but also older bop inclusive) spotify playlist and shuffling that bad boy! Of course spotify algorithm is not actually truly random and if you overplay it (like me) it will eventually cycle through a lot of the same songs but I think you will definitely encounter more unknown songs than not. And it's easy to favorite a song then go through your favorites list later/look up a specific artist if you like whatever you're listening to by them! @(you need an account to see links) you too~

They're not for everyone because some of their title tracks are a little more on the eccentric side compared to mainstream kpop sound (but they have some very pop-y songs too) but honestly Purple Kiss has SUCH a good discography. They are also so talented and adorable and I love them so much please check out Purple Kiss 🥺 (also they're the rookie group from RBW aka Mamamoo's company so these girls are all incredibly strong artists in their own right, they all contribute to songwriting/lyrics and choreography!)

@(you need an account to see links) you have some great taste, sir Rolling Quartz actually streamed a mini online live not too long ago on YT and it was so cute! Of course their talent is no joke haha I was so upset when AleXa and RQ came to Otakon last year because that's one of my local conventions but I was out of the fucking country at the time 💀 ugh!

On topic of concerts wondering what groups people have seen live? In recent years I've been lucky to see KARD twice, Twice on their tour last year (have to skip this yr sadly), Dreamcatcher last month, and I have tickets for Mamamoo next month. In the past I saw Wonder Girls (and 2PM who was opening for them 😂) and went to this like, kpop fest maybe around 2011 or so where a bunch of different artists performed like TVXQ (who I went for explicitly LOL), SHINee, Sistar, 4minute, B2st (after some googling apparently it was (you need an account to see links)lol) I wish I had better memory lol these days I would kill to see Viviz (and more seriously, a Gfriend reunion) and OMG live 😥

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ice For This Useful Post:

Alister (04-06-2023),KJiU (04-06-2023),Narkotiq (04-10-2023),Slowpoke (04-08-2023)

Pronouns
    he/him
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    66/0
    Mentioned
    202 times
    Time Online
    40d 5h 1m
    Avg. Time Online
    15m
    Waked up and found the chat filled with new comments its so awesome haha

@(you need an account to see links), used to be a fan from twice but the only song i remember now is only TT (the first song i think of when i see Twice). It's actually more fun when you step in a shop / korea goods shop and it plays a music track that you can relate to and starts to sings along with it xD

@(you need an account to see links), seems like you are further in the zone while Alister is still at the front of the K-pop Gate haha. From the list you have the only group i didn't went into was (G)I-DLE but i do know of them. I do agree with you on Blackpink i only fall for Rose's Visual back then but then i don't really listen to their songs

Well for Alister & Slowpoke first off i'm gonna start by selling my fav group to both of you ahaha xD

A little info on the group:
    Dreamcatcher debuted on January 13, 2017 (which is also Fri 13th - yes that's their concept its what you are thinking) they are the only unique group in Kpop that does Rock with metal influence and some of their songs gives anime vibe (which is also a good way to draw more people into kpop /them)
    Some of the stuffs you will get from them: Rock / J-rock (jap tracks) / Dance Choreo / ✨ with Live band / Visuals Aesthetic / Storytelling / Balled / English songs (cater to international fans)

A few others to add in after Ice's Recommendation since i never went into Gen4 : IU, Ailee, Taeyeon, Taemin (From SHINee) the Kpop Dancing King , BoA (OG Queen) , Davichi .

@(you need an account to see links), I'm glad that you love the concept of story sharing haha. Gotta agree on that SHINee do live up to their name ✨✨ , i don't really follow them anymore but i still do look at Taemin's MV and dances, beside from Jonghyun as i love his vocal (We will remember him well as a great artist & songwriter) .
    Don't worry it is common to have bias in multiple groups even if you are a stan (the magical world of K-pop). Not many girls can pull of the Cool Boy vibe as they are usually much feminine sexy cutesy concept. Do take a look at (you need an account to see links) haha (might be wrong at deciphering your meaning for the gender too xD).
    I think its another move played by Sim's to attract more players xD since K-pop starts the fashion trend (i guess?) as they do slay different concepts with their hair and outfits with great aesthetic.

Hello & (Hello Somnia), welcome to the club @(you need an account to see links) , nice to see a higher-level veteran xD its fun that BoA was the one that intro us into Kpop haha andthats a long list you have there which is amazing. I saw queen of trot Hong Jin Young ahaha which reminds me of her and KJK. I'm happy that i can still pick a amount of names from the list which i can relate to . Its cool that you have a list of merchs i have non aside from my 2 rose collector card from blackpink oreo Lol, looking on getting some Dreamcatcher's merchs soon to support them, waiting for their comeback on May 🎉🎉

Can see that you are a Jisoo Stan ? she is still in BlackPink but only made her solo album debut recently , or did she left blackpink too ?

@(you need an account to see links) , one day maybe i will go for Dreamcatcher's concert or fan meeting xD , although is not likely due to my nature since i don't like the crowds.

Took me a long time to type out this post oh im tired haha cheers

20. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to KJiU For This Useful Post:

Flordibel (04-07-2023),Ice (04-07-2023),Narkotiq (04-10-2023),Slowpoke (04-08-2023)