Thread: Donald Trump's Banning Transgender People From Serving - Right or Wrong?

Threaded View

Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    45 times
    Time Online
    3d 16h 16m
    Avg. Time Online
    1m
    Quote Originally Posted by Sugar Rush View Post
    So for those of you who feel this is the right decision, how do you feel about homosexuals or women serving in the miltary? I think it's relevant because a lot of the arguments being said regarding transgender people have also been said about them. Homosexuals also have a higher suicide rate. Women were also thought unfit to serve due to regular hormonal changes. I mean, what a mess that would be. Just saying.
    These comparisons you're trying to make don't actually work. From what I understand, this is based on health, not being discriminatory. Unfortunately because it's towards a minority, it's automatically considered discrimination. However, transgender people or those who identify as such and are on hormones are 100% dependant on those hormones to be the gender they identify with, and the risk of being unable to access these medications is high. Without the medications they are, technically, unstable and therefore unsafe. This is not the same situation with homosexuals, nor with women. If anyone from these 2 groups were dependant on medication, they would also be denied.
    On another note, as unfortunate as it is, I believe that gender dysphoria is still considered a mental illness in the eyes of the government (someone can correct me on this if I'm wrong). So alongside the argument of being dependant on the hormone medication, they are considered to be mentally ill, and like someone who is otherwise in perfect health but is clinically depressed, suffers from anxiety, bipolar disorder, an eating disorder, etc, they would be denied.
    Is it completely fair? No. Does it make sense? Yes. Is it discrimination? No, not necessarily, because if they hadn't announced it as they did, and perhaps announced instead that they were tightening up on military entry requirements, this discussion would probably never have happened.

i aura

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Tarot For This Useful Post:

Cybun (07-26-2017),Mophead (07-26-2017),Synth Salazzle (07-26-2017)