Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Assisted suicide. Murder, or mercy?

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    33/0
    Mentioned
    3 times
    Time Online
    16h 39m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    Quote Originally Posted by Bacchus View Post
    One of the key factors for me, and one that always makes the thorniest problems with the topic of euthanasia, is informed consent. I agree that someone should be able to make well-informed choices about their own lives and bodies, with things like cool-down periods in place to ensure that the patient has time to fully consider the implications of their choice, not just because they were having one particularly bad day. It's much harder when it is instances of people who are not able (either due to unconsciousness or intellectual disability) to make that choice themselves. I remember the Terry Schiavo case getting a lot of attention when I was in high school. It was an example of a patient being in a persistent vegetative state having their feeding tube removed; the patient's husband and parents were divided about what should happen. You start talking about valuing life versus considering quality of life. It can become a slippery slope, because without informed consent who are we to make that decision for someone else, and say that their life isn't worth continuing?
    This. Unfortunately there is no widely accepted form or test that can identify who should and should not be able to make that decision. Also, we know that people that fail to commit suicide often regret the attempt, but no one who is successful is able to come back and tell us it was a good idea. Legally speaking it would be a difficult position and risk for a physician to authorize such a thing as well.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    84/0
    Mentioned
    142 times
    Time Online
    11d 16h 36m
    Avg. Time Online
    4m
    I think it should be allowed in dire situations, like when a person is a "vegetable" or has a completely terminal diagnosis and they don't want them to suffer, and the patient and their family consent to it. There are many situations with severe burn victims, people who are maimed in an accident or attack, or similar, where I cannot imagine being that person and being alive and having to suffer through it until you die.

The only issue I have with this is the notion that health insurance, or lack thereof, could lead to death. Like, instead of treating your cancer, they'll have life ending drugs be cheaper so they don't have to cover you. This could also lead to a eugenics type situation where they give life ending drugs to people the government starts deeming unworthy of treatment or living... So I think is this were allowed, there would need to be intense regulations and laws on the matter to prevent things from happening.

I see a lot of anti-assisted suicide related stuff coming from the church my parents go to, and whilst I see the cons, their main argument is "to die with dignity" which I think, honestly, means you can die before the immense pain of slowly fading from a brain tumor you won't survive with... to me, at least. I'd like the option to die before the immense suffering of myself, or others if I were in a non-responsive state, if I were in a situation like that.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    6/0
    Mentioned
    1 time
    Time Online
    10h 17m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    I think we should just let everyone who wants to die die painlessly. We're already super overpopulated as it is.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    2/0
    Mentioned
    24 times
    Time Online
    23d 9h 16m
    Avg. Time Online
    8m
    I think you can spin it either way. It's very difficult. I am in the medical field, and personally, medically assisted suicide goes against everything I believe in. I would not want to be the person to do this, for that reason. In fact, until I had actually seen someone suffering to an unimaginable extent, I would have said I disagree with the idea completely. Now, though, I can say in certain situations I do not disagree with it. I still would never agree to being the provider to carry out medically assisted suicide (and luckily I would never have to, as my physician would instead), but I cannot say I should deny a terminally ill patient the right to end their suffering. Some of these conditions are just unbearably cruel, and I don't think anyone without chance of recovery should have to suffer, and I don't think anyone with a loved one suffering from such a thing would disagree.

I would argue suicide is a basic human right, because it is their body and their choices... But if death is avoidable I don't think someone should resort to suicide. Unavoidable, terminal illness; sure. I think it's only humane to follow someone's wishes in such a situation.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    23/0
    Mentioned
    3 times
    Time Online
    17h 15m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    I believe everyone who is suffering from terminal illness has a fundamental right to die with dignity. I have personally watched my own family suffer from terminal illness, and they had their lives dragged out against their wishes by other family members. It's horrible.

The lines start getting blurry when you include non-terminally ill people who wish to die.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    37/0
    Mentioned
    15 times
    Time Online
    5d 8h 3m
    Avg. Time Online
    2m
    I think it should be a thing. Like someone already said, if I was paralyzed all over my body, I definitely want to die. I'm a loner so it's a lifestyle I will never adjust to. Just harvest my organs and give it to people with functioning bodies; then take me out to see Jesus.

Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    Never
    Time Online
    11h 4m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    This question was something, I was asked to write for a paper in my class a few months back, I won't post the entire report but as this question is very controversial I will put my 2 cents into it. Feel free to leave some feedback and questions anyone may have.

In this debate article, I will be discussing the affects and my views on whether or not euthanasia should be made legal within England.
    As for something very personal and close to me. I believe strongly that there are two sides to every coin. I do believe it should be made legal, my opinions stem from my job in healthcare for a number of years, I have seen the affects terminally ill patients have had on families and on themselves. I believe it must be made legal people should be in control of their own life till mental capacity allows them to be. I feel like suffering so much with almost anything and a person should deem it is right that they should end their life - it is a major aspect of someones life, which needs to be respected no matter what the opposing party says. There is only so much you may feel or relate to another person. Euthanasia allows someone to end their life peacefully and pain-free. Many terminally illnesses do not offer that, the foreseeable future with a terminal illness is very difficult for families and causes a lot of pain whilst palliative care is offered it merely prolongs their life, not necessarily adding quality, it simply maintains the level of dignity as best as it possibly can. I feel like to some families it offers closure of knowing their loved one will die on a specific time and place of free will and not just something random they have had to wake up one morning and realize. Zurich is the only place in Europe which allows this to take place and already a lot of people have attended from all over different countries, this shows the tremendous affect it has given to people and the opportunity to die gracefully. The right to die in dignity applies to everyone and we must respect that. Patients who request euthanasia are often driven by terminal illness, this allows the person to conclude their death. The desire to not become a burden for family members is also a triggering factor.

On the other hand, Euthanasia should not be deemed legal first and foremost, the debatable argument about religion. For example the bible states "thou shalt not kill". so the whole idea becomes very unethical to some people. Euthanasia can also become a first resort to people leading to broken families and unnecessary deaths. I do believe it should be made legal but also have some strict ruling around it. As euthanasia is very successful all over Europe, freewill and quality of life outweigh any other issues. Freewill is a huge factor within issues such as Euthanasia.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    27/0
    Mentioned
    Never
    Time Online
    2d 18h 26m
    Avg. Time Online
    1m
    It all depends on the situation I would say. I don't think for someone not terminally it would be considered okay.

Pronouns
    he/him
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    39/0
    Mentioned
    19 times
    Time Online
    17d 4h 42m
    Avg. Time Online
    6m
    Personal opinion: if it's a terminal condition and they're practically skin and bones or horribly far gone, by all means. Also, for certain chronic conditions that lower someone's quality of life until they're a mere shell of human being. Ex: Really Advanced Dementia and Alzheimer's, that disease that turns your whole musculature into bone, becoming a total human vegetable, etc. I told my friends and family that I completely lose myself mentally or become a total vegetable, please trip over my life support cords.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    49/0
    Mentioned
    45 times
    Time Online
    13d 10m
    Avg. Time Online
    6m
    I think if the meat is medium rare, keep cooking it.

Mortality is a HUGE issue in humans simply because we have that personal sense of it. It's no one's RIGHT to make ANY decision over someone's life. Not even your own. Being not only a murder survivor, but a suicide survivor...fighting for your life will take a LOT of courage. you may not see a suicide as a courageous thing...but think about some people.

How long and hard did they fight for any level of affection, for their job, their family..anything?! And to the peopel that are getting fucked over for saving their own lives, but being imprisoned for bashing their face the fuck in after raping them repeatedly for ANY period of time...fuck it, stab em the fuck up on the inside.

No, seriously, don't do that though....The way the world works, and always has...is fucked...but I doubt we will ever grab a true sense of how to deal with life..until we accept what life is.

A Fight for The End
    Thank you $Infected for the FANTASTIC upgrade to my forum look!